Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-25-2017, 05:29 AM

Default Athelon Scopes

Anyone been game to try one yet?

https://athlonoptics.com/product-category/riflescopes/

These are a new brand of "Chinese made" mid to high end scopes.

The Chronus is getting quite good reviews and appears to be comparable to the new Vortex PST Gen II, but at us$1600 it should be!...but it does have Jap glass, whereas the other models have Chinese glass.

Ok if your in the US, dont like it just return it for a full refund, but form me here in New Zealand its not quite so easy to return goods.

Like the look of the Midas but I ended up ordering a Nikon X1000 as a "known brand" for similar price.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:29 PM

not a chance in the world this makes any sense compared to, say a Niteforce, given history, customer service, etc., etc.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:53 PM

I have a Argos BTR and in terms of glass clarity it's fantastic at it's price point. I compared my 6-24x50 BTR side by side to my cousins leupold MK6 3-18 and from 6-12 power my optic looked equally clear with the argos having a more forgiving eye box. after 12x on the leupold that's where the argos started to shine the leupold at 18x is down right almost unuseable. the eye box is crazy sensitive and that particular optic just doesn't gather enough light for 18x.

The argos does start to darken slightly around 22x and the clarity does start to degrade around the point. I personally run mine around 12-18x and love it. The reticle is nice.

now for the con's. the turrets leave a lot to be desired. (clicks aren't as tactile as I'd like and the lines don't match up) I liked the turrets on the leupold 10-1 over the Athlon and even favor the turrets on my SS scopes a lot more. If Athlon could produce the same optic with the clean crisp and aligned turrets of the SS line it would be phenominal optic assuming the price point didn't change much.

I hear the cronus lines glass is made in the same factory as all of the big boys. steiner, nightforce, ect...

so in the end I guess it all depends on your needs. if your going to be dialing a lot it may be better to look at different options. if you don't touch your turrets a lot then I feel it would be a great optic for it's price point.

now all that being said to my knowledge the non BTR's don't get as much love as their BTR counterpart.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:05 AM

thanks for the feedback. I get the impression that Athelon is a lot like Vortex was when they started. They are listening to customers and continually improving their scopes. Sounds like hte turret clicks are much better in the latest release of the lower end scopes.

As I understand it, the Chronus is Jap glass, the Ares is HD Chinese glass and all the others just Chinese glass. The Ares at $800 is up there in price with low end European glass, like Zeiss conquest, Minox etc so it will have to be better than them to take a chance on it.