Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-29-2017, 08:59 PM

Default .17 CCM Question

Hi guys, I've been out of pocket for a bit and starting to settle back into retirement. In short my 17ccm from Cooper has found its way from the back of the safe to near the front of the line for some more fun loading and shooting. This is just a simple question as to whether there are ANY 17CCM's out there? Thanks, Bill.
Old 10-29-2017, 09:58 PM

Default 17 ccm

yes I got one and a 22 CCM. fun little things. I am lazy so just use my 17 HMR more often
Old 10-29-2017, 11:37 PM

Got one, early number repeater.

Use the search feature up in the header to find discussions about the .17 CCM. You should be able to find quite a few threads/discussions. If that fails, simply try Google. Now an then that yields even more results.

Oh, and by the way, welcome aboard, and keep a secure hold on your wallet.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:14 PM

Agree on the magnetic pull firearms have with your financial statement. Certainly been there and done that. Again, again and again.

My 17 CCM was built by Dans nephew if you can believe folklore. It was back at that time when I was truly bug eyed over small wild cats and I gave Cooper a call and asked if they knew where I could fine one. One thing led to another and when asked, the nephew agreed to part with it. Still can remember the goosebumps when it came through my gunsmiths FFL.

I tried the search .17 CCM and drew a blank over the weekend. Same again today. I'm probably doing something wrong. If you have success in the search let me know.

I vaguely remember talking to Jim (way back when) about him seeing the holy grail for 17CCM addicts. Drums and drums of cases that were being kept by one individual. Not sure if Schroeder is still around to make the brass or not.

Gosh I spent a ton of time with that rifle. Those were the days of Small Caliber News. I'm a true geek when it comes to working with small wildcats. And now with my shop set up to chronograph loads it makes it a lot easier. Speaking of that I have a date this afternoon with a K Hornet and some Sierra 40 and 45 grain that need to be run through my Chrony.

Thanks for the welcome and the help. Bill.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:43 AM

Has anyone ever hear of Reed's Ammunition & Research out of Oklahoma? Did some Google searching led me to this group and they show the availability of 17CCM brass.

http://shop.reedsammo.com/addtocart.sc
Old 10-31-2017, 03:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Yep, he's a sponsor of this site among several others.

Good to have you among us. Enjoy and learn.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 10-31-2017, 11:56 AM

If you have the time and can go page by page through the discussion board, small caliber load data and classifieds, someone out there had some .17CCM brass for sale. Don't know whether it sold or not. This was not all that long ago, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. "Outdoorsman" comes to mind, but I'm not sure that's it.

So, you have no brass at all, or are you just looking to acquire some more? Schroeder brass was north of a buck a piece last I heard. That is what Reed's was asking for it some time ago as well.

There was a small writeup in a dealer publication back when announcing the .17CCM, and I was on it like a fly on a ? (dungheap??). Had a similar tingle when the box finally came, and after one fouling shot, the first group I fired with it could be covered with a dime -- even smaller than that. I had a huge population of grackles out here then, and the .17CCM would just make them explode. All that came down was wings and feet.

The .17AH's get more attention these days, but the Cooper's still fun.
Old 11-05-2017, 11:59 PM

I have a Cooper 17 CCM. Love it. Made some brass from Velo Dog ammunition. Pulled the bullets poured out the powder and ran the brass through 17 CCM dies. Saved some of the original soft Cooper brass after the primer pockets got loose by using a Hornady bullet collet to press the rim in. Worked great, but the Snieder converted hornet brass woks the best for me. I like 1680 powder as recommended by Cooper and Berger bullets.

Good luck.

Bob
Old 11-06-2017, 05:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Believe the Cooper M-38 I bought from foxhunter was
originally chambered for this one. He had problems getting
it to feed and had it shortened and recut to .17.x28 VR.

I had the same trouble with it, even though he hadn't had much after the reworking was done. I sent to Cooper and after a year they sent it back
changed to a single shot. AND they kept the magazine! I called and barked about it and they sent it back. Works good now, but ,I haven't been shooting it like it should be.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 11-06-2017, 10:14 PM

Tom Thomas from the old Outdoorsman is supposed to have supplies of the better Fiocchi made brass. His son runs a shop down in PA....a search should get you a contact number.
I have an early, gloss repeater but I bought a fair amount of his, as well as Schroeder early on
9.2gr 1680 with a 20 Berger and pistol primer gets me 3200 fps.

Last edited by tim simbari; 11-06-2017 at 10:17 PM.