Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-03-2022, 04:55 PM

It was not uncommon in the past to alter bolt faces for 22R2 and Hornet bench and varmint rifles. C.S. Landis discussed the work done to Springfield and Mauser actions to use them for smaller cartridges and also for such wildcat rounds the Lindahl Chucker and Rimless Wasp cartridges that were based on the Remington case.
Old 06-03-2022, 05:01 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDHasty View Post
It was not uncommon in the past to alter bolt faces for 22R2 and Hornet bench and varmint rifles. C.S. Landis discussed the work done to Springfield and Mauser actions to use them for smaller cartridges and also for such wildcat rounds the Lindahl Chucker and Rimless Wasp cartridges that were based on the Remington case.
I was referring to recessed bolt faces like found on the Rem 700 and the A-Bolt Micro where it has been said with a broad brush that it could not happen.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 06-03-2022 at 05:14 PM. Reason: words added.............
Old 06-03-2022, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Nyhus View Post
I gotta' say...the need/obsession for a case like the Hornet to feed from a magazine escapes me.

Good shootin' -Al
I mostly agree, but the Ruger rotary feeds perfectly. I mostly shoot single shots so I don't have to hunt for brass in the grass. It's nearing the point, where just having one that will chamber a Hornet case is difficult to find.

Last edited by moorepower; 06-03-2022 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-03-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
I mostly agree, but the Ruger rotary feeds perfectly. I mostly shoot single shots so I don't have to hunt for brass in the grass. It's nearing the point, where just having one that will chamber a Hornet case is difficult to find.
The magazines on my 527s feed just fine, but for shooting chucks I tend to use the single shot adapters I got from James Calhoon. I don't really know why other than I place hits case mouth up and mises with the base of the case up.

My normal tendency is to head out with a couple fifty round boxes of ammo in a molle pouch on the upper left side of the surplus FLC load bearing vests I have been using, with my pistol in a molle holster on the right side. Sometimes I take along a Geovid HDR and have a large neoprene padded molle pouch for it, but more often I take my old Nikon Monarch rangefinder on a tether and an 8x25 Zeiss Victory pocket binocular or a Leupold/Leica 9x25A pocket binocular. The Victory is CF and the Leica is EIF, and it just depends which I grab.

For prairie dogs and ground squirrels I generally use the magazines and put another molle pouch on the vest under my ammo and just drop the spent brass in there loose.

The lightweight load bearing vest is one of the best ideas I have come up with. It can be configured however I want it on a certain day, including putting a pouch with a sammich in it on the back. The one I use most has molle attachments and a pouch for a standard hydration bladder on the back.

I buy the surplus vests from McGuire and some are like new and some are brand new. It doesn't really matter to me. The one I use most holds a hydration bladder and the surplus ones don't. I forget where I got it. Sometimes I use the ones w/o molle attachments on the back, it's easier than fighting with the kids to just use one of the others myself. When I use it I have a separate little surplus pack that holds a hydration bladder that I wear under the FLC vest.

https://www.mcguirearmynavy.com/prod...gaAvTREALw_wcB

Last edited by JDHasty; 06-03-2022 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2022, 08:55 PM

When I went out for Pdogs last week, I carried a Rubermaid stool with ammo and water, inside of it, and shot off of a Primos tripod. I probably walked 5 miles up and down ridges in two days. Not the most stylish, but it worked well. When I am close to 50 miles away from the nearest town and miles away from anyone, and up to a mile away from my pickup, I did not really want to shoot off of a bipod with rattlesnakes around. That and I was shooting over brush, for some cover often. I have never shot them hiking like that, off of a tripod, but it was fun, beat working, and really great cardio!
Old 06-04-2022, 02:24 AM

Bit off topic but I use a Bog Pod tri pod and a folding camp chair on gophers when walking. Other odds and ends in a small day pack. The Calhoun single shot adapter for the CZ 527's is an essential part of gear.

Old 06-04-2022, 03:15 AM

That’s a pretty neat setup.

I have a cushion with a shoulder strap and mostly shoot sitting using a Harris Tall S series bipod. I usually don’t take my cushion unless I know I will set up on a talus slope for a while. Two problems with my method 1) I get cactus in my butt when I don’t take my cushion and 2) hauling my fat ass back upright. We have trekking poles in the truck and they just don’t work for me when I have a rifle. I rarely have slings on my rifle and when I do I don’t like carrying my rifle slung over my shoulder unless I’m climbing rocks.

I shoot prone if I can get the bipod low enough and can see what I’m trying to hit. That just doesn’t work out at all when sitting up on a talus slope.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
Bit off topic but I use a Bog Pod tri pod and a folding camp chair on gophers when walking. Other odds and ends in a small day pack. The Calhoun single shot adapter for the CZ 527's is an essential part of gear.

Is there a name on your folding camp chair?

Hal
Old 06-04-2022, 03:34 AM

It's been quite a while since I've used the Harris bipod. Mines old enough it doesn't allow for tilt. So, if the surface isn't level your rifle isn't either. I know they now make them tiltable. A friend use to put the bipods feet on top of his feet and he could adjust side to side that way. Trying this while also trying to shoot about made me crazy. Prone gets to my neck and shoulders after a bit, for a few it's doable but not for long. I don't care for slings myself; the Tripod and chair go over my left shoulder and the rifle goes muzzle forward over my right shoulder or hand carried. Sort of balances things out. The silly little folding camp chair is a back saver. Combined with the tripod it makes for a semi stable shooting platform. I can set up or break it down to move in less than 5 minutes and at the end of the day my backs not sore. So far this has worked well for me.
Old 06-04-2022, 03:45 AM

I'm pretty sure that the chair came from Walmart a number of years ago and has a GCI OUTDOORS label. When I was first considering this, I went looking for a small light weight and cheap folding camp chair. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on one if this wasn't going to actually work for me. The chair has held up pretty well actually. All I've done is add a couple of string loops so I can clip it to the tripod and add a Velcro strip to keep the legs from unfolding when being carried.