Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-01-2022, 03:46 AM

How so? It looks as though his telling me that a difference he sees in the VT and others he looked at is the former have a two stage trigger. It seems as though the OP recognizes that the trigger on his VT does differ and differs in a way that would interfere with using that rear pillar.

I prefer Winchester Model 70s and haven’t spent much time with the Ruger 77, but it impresses me that what knowledge he shared with me is consistent with the trigger being the issue.
Old 07-01-2022, 04:13 PM

I poked around and found this thread. It appears that it will be helpful. Unfortunately the link provided to a more detailed writeup is no longer available.

https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/p...-stock.113669/

Basically, what I always am after is to get the pillars attached SOLIDLY to the action and the stock sitting right where I want it on the upside down barreled action. The aluminum is not that compressible so if you get the pillars centered on the action screws and tight they are going to be the only two places the action will be sitting on once you have them set in the stock right where they want to be and relieve the wood.

So, my normal MO is to put a piece of .002 Pipe Wrap on the barrel to about 2 inches in front if the action and free float the barrel from there on out. The barrel droop will be away from the stock so I will put wedges and shims under the muzzle to just give it enough support that it takes away any tendency for the weight of the barrel to act as a lever on the action. I want the action totally relaxed. By the way, I also support the barrel when setting the pillars to make sure that they are not splayed when set. When setting the pillars I make one very light wrap of surgical rubber hose as close to the action screws as I can get it and just snug it down enough to keep everything in place.

Once the pillars are fixed to the stock that is the only places I want the barreled action touching anything whatsoever. Then I will either bed the barrel channel and the action in one stage or may bed around the recoil lug using Devcon Steel and come back and bed everything else tight with brown Score Hi Pro Bed. I like how the Pro Bed looks, but I want the recoil lug in Devcon Steel because it has been stable and is uncompressible as far as I have been able to discern. When I do this bedding I torque the false action screws to what I will be using on the rifle when complete.

Then before I pull it out of the stock I bed the bottom metal or trigger guard using the action screws I will be using with the rifle.

This works very well for me. I don't think that angled action screw is any problem whatsoever except it complicates boring out the stock to accept it and you can't just slide the stock down over the pillars with both attached to the action. Once they are in place and there is no stress other than what the action screws are placing on the action straight down the center of the pillars, you're in like Flynn.

If you don't want to bed the barrel channel just dam it off with clay or plumber's putty or cut a big (not huge) soft rubber band, put some release on it and tie it around the barrel and forget the Pipe wrap.

Last edited by JDHasty; 07-01-2022 at 09:55 PM.
Old 07-02-2022, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
My son recently bought a 1975 ruger 77 in 220 swift. Great shape, so we decided we would put it in a different stock. So he got an used laminated stock, with the wide channel, his barrel is about .910. So we were going to pillar bed the stock with a brownells kit for the ruger 77. The problem is this kit says it will not work with the 77vt. I believe his is the vt model, as I called ruger and they said it was the varmint model. I believe it is supposeD to have a different trigger than the regular 77. The trigger pull is about 1.25 lbs. Gun looked untouched, but must have had the trigger worked. Anyways I was wondering if anyone knew why the pillar kit was not suppose to work on the vt model. As I said we have now gotten an after market stock that has the wide channel, I do not even know the make. I just did not want to bed or do any work on the factory stock, as it is nice, and the metal is great also. I never worked on a Ruger, and do not care for the front angled screw. Any help would be appreciated.
Like Ruger says. You have a "V", Varmint model. This is a "Tang Safety Rifle" The "VT" (Varmint Target), or its main model the Ruger 77 MKII wasn't even dreamed of in '75.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 07-02-2022, 07:53 AM
Supporting Member

Easiest solution is to pour Devcon Pillars, they come out the exact right length every time.
Old 07-02-2022, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Easiest solution is to pour Devcon Pillars, they come out the exact right length every time.
+1 Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best! I get it - when it comes to our rifles & handloads we all want the most precise work & as perfect of set-up as possible.

Okay, now I have to go uniform some flash-holes.....

Dave
Old 07-02-2022, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
+1 Sometimes the simplest solutions are the best! I get it - when it comes to our rifles & handloads we all want the most precise work & as perfect of set-up as possible.

Okay, now I have to go uniform some flash-holes.....

Dave
Good old K.I.S.S. advice. Some just try too make a easy job hard. Thanks Dave for showing the way.
Old 07-06-2022, 12:24 PM

Thanks to all the information that was provided, it will help with this project.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:42 PM

Default Action screw torque

I own a KM77VT in 220 Swift. Target gray finish, laminate stock, 2 stage trigger. As was earlier suggested, proper tightening of action screws in the proper sequence will help Rugers shoot much better. Mine shoots 50 and 55 V-Max with a moderate load of Varget into nice groups.
My suggestion would be to try good handloads and proper action screw torque and you may find that the pillars can wait.