Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2022, 04:46 AM

Default Committed to reworking my CZ527 17 Hornet today

It took me a while to get around to purchasing my 527 in 17 Hornet because I could not decide between the Varmint or American barrel. I finally went with the American and although I liked it fine, and still do, had figured on picking up one with Varmint contour barrel. Not at todays price, thank you very much.

So, I have been sitting on a few brand new 527 17H Varmint takeoff barrels that I had figured might come in handy some day.

I got a call from a buddy today and he wanted one of my barrels. I’m not interested in selling any. I guess the takeoffs are as hard to come by as complete rifles and he ain’t taking no for an answer.

By the time we were done with the negotiations, he’s getting one of my barrels and I’m getting a new 527 Kevlar Varmint stock. I’ve been wanting to put together a 527 Kevlar Varmint in 17 Hornet since about 2016 and that’s what I’m going to have.

I had a 223 Kevlar Varmint in an HS Precision stock and was very fond of it. A friend/relative absolutely fell in love with it when we were shooting a dog town in Montana and I figured on picking up another one and gave it to him. CZ changed the stock configuration the following year and I didn’t care for it.

The Bell and Carlson is the same configuration as the HS Precision and from all appearances uses the identical aluminum bedding block. I’ll hold onto my 527 American stock and barrel, I’ll stumble across a 527 Hornet action some day.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:27 AM

You will really enjoy the 17 Hornet Varmint. I restocked mine with the HS Precision Kevlar stock and bedded the action. It’s the best shooting factory gun I own. I have always intended on reloading for it but the factory Hornady 20 gr ammo shot so well that I just bought several cases of it. Here’s a couple groups I shot with it after I recently changed scopes. I pulled one shot by the calipers so I ran a sixth into that set. I done pretty good on the upper right group. Then I remembered the scope had 1/4” click adjustments, not 1/8”. This is about as good as I can shoot so I can’t say if the it’s the gun or me.

Last edited by ben lurkin; 07-07-2022 at 05:32 AM.