Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-08-2022, 08:46 PM

Another fan of Nikon gear and lenses. Still have all my film gear as well as an old D70 that has been mainstay since the film demise. I can still get film processed 35mm and 120 depending on film type, but very expensive to do. Had a B&W darkroom at one time, but it is long gone after all my job moves.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
Another fan of Nikon gear and lenses. Still have all my film gear as well as an old D70 that has been mainstay since the film demise.
My digital journey started with a Nikon D40 kit purchased at Costco years ago. The picture quality of these old DSLR's with the entry-level lenses they offered as kits was impressive considering the price.

I suppose we just hang on to our old film cameras and gear then. Not really sure what to do with it. In a box in the garage right now.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:46 PM
Supporting Member

It would be interesting if some of those rocks could disclose the history that they've seen.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 06-08-2022, 10:06 PM

I had a young deer sneak up on me while I was shooting a couple weeks ago. I was sitting shooting chucks that were on a pile of dredge from a canal, leaning against the front bumper of our pickup and got that funny feeling that someone was watching me.

I looked over my right shoulder and there in the alfalfa on the other side of a barbed wire fence, ten feet away, was a young mule deer doe standing there staring right at me. I took a few photos of her with my phone and she moved up toward where I was shooting, then vaulted the fence and wandered down the canal bank back toward where she had come from.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou City Boy View Post
It would be interesting if some of those rocks could disclose the history that they've seen.-BCB
We've had that exact conversation a few times. There's lots of real American history in this country too, sites of many Indian/Army battles.

This particular property offers both excellent GS bench or walkabout shooting, along with rockchucks in the rock cliff faces shown in the pics above and below. Set up the benches on the service two-track for squirrels, watch for rockchucks sneaking out for their morning alfalfa munching session.

My rifle of the day in the cleaning cradle on the tailgate during a lull in the shooting at the cliff base. My buddy Garth can be seen at his bench in the distance.

Considering the view from atop that cliff face, I can imagine a native long ago sitting up there watching for game down below in the sage flat that existed then. Fun to contemplate, it sure makes a guy think about it all.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:10 AM
Supporting Member

Excellent post and images Rick.

Love the area where you shoot Chucks, excellent country to jump a Muley or other 4 legged critters. Do you still use your U shaped support in the field?

And a much different image of the Skippy Ranch than you had this year.

Thanks for sharing your trips, almost as good as being there ourselves.

Allen
Old 06-09-2022, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiallen View Post
Excellent post and images Rick.

... almost as good as being there ourselves.

Allen
I fully agree. This was/is a fun post to follow. Thank you Rick for taking the time to share some pictures.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:26 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks Rick, my last 3 cameras have been Nikons, I had a Coolpix years ago and found it too slow so it got replaced with a DSLR.
Currently using a D90 that's a few years old now, and my main lens is the DX 18-200, although I do have a 80-200 f2.8 AF-S lens that comes in real handy with a 1.4TC for wildlife.

Old 06-09-2022, 01:05 PM

I love the pictures along with a story. Especially from a part of the US that I have never been to.
Makes me miss Silverfox and his adventures and pictures. Thanks, guys, for sharing your adventures.

Joe McNeill
SW Arkansas
Old 06-09-2022, 04:04 PM

Thanks wiserfool and Joe. Sharing this stuff with other like-minded fellows is what it's all about. We all like seeing the gear and the country others experience, myself included. Thanks for the kind words.

Allen, good to hear from you again. Hope your trip to 'mouse-ville' was tolerable considering the political climate related to Dizzyland now.

And 'yes', still using my "varmint stake" on occasion, sometimes a bipod, sometimes my cross-sticks. It mostly depends on grass length at various times during the season. The stake has quite a range of adjustment for prone or sitting, so it's a bit more useful than a bipod.

With no QD studs on some of my rifles (Coopers) to mount a bipod, the stake comes in handy.

Kiwishooter: Those are some great pics there, buddy. Love the lighting on the last shot of the chuck. Looks like we're sitting right next to him. Great color and contrast. In terms of photography equipment, we've come a long way baby!