Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 04-12-2010, 11:29 PM

Me too....at least a little bit Let me add to the saga....
So when I was load testing, I found reloader 15 shot the most consistant. Even to this day, I will go out and shoot a great group. But I can't duplicate it as often as I would like. So, i am also on the fence wondering what to try. It's been a while, but I have tried all the good recomended powders (except for BIg Game), and Re-15 was the best. I measured my barrel and it is a true 1-9 on the money.

I am shooting 30.5 grains of Re-15 which is the max for my rifle. I get a little over 3600 fps out of it. I have even tried to go lighter on the loads as I do get ejector marks here and there, but the lighter loads did not perform at all. I have tried the 50's and they shoot well, just not any better than the 55's, so I am staying with the 55's.

So, maybe between all of us shooting the 55's we can come up with a better recipe. Maybe not.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfurman24 View Post
I am starting to feel the way you do. Today I shot .244 @ 100 with 30.5 RE15 in the Pacnor. and .248 with the Douglas but need to shoot them again to see if they will repeat. The H4350 showed promise but I need to up the load and retry. I tried IMR8208 and it showed some promise but need to lower the charge and retry. I have given up on Varget in the Douglas but I am too fast in the Pacnor and need to lower the charge and try some more. I am going to keep playing and try to get some Big Game and RE17. Keep me informed.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:48 AM

Default Berger 50's with RL15

Yes, big vote for RL15 ...it was my best powder this past Sunday.
Most accurate and lowest ES

I was out to the range Sunday load testing the 20BR-IMPROVED with Berger 50's which was all at 200 yards using 3 shot groups over a new Chrony.
Trying to keep my loads arond the 3800 'ish FPS

The 3 powders tested were H414, RL15 and IMR8208 all the bullets were seated 5 thou from rifling.
To better explain, enclosing pictures of the pages from my load book.
Hope you can read my writing and see the target group for each load.

H414...groups opened-up as the velocity increased from 3803 to 3883 fps

RL15...31.0 grains @ fps 3769 fps > 2 shots in one hole with ES 10.57
.........31.2 grains @ 3771 fps > lots of human error with ES 3.53
.........31.4 grains @ 3800 fps > 2 shots in one hole with ES 29.86

IMR 8208.... 30.6 grains @ 3802 fps > .750" three shoot group
.... 31.0 grains @ 3857 fps > group opened-up alot

My next outting will be with RL 15 using 4 shot groups and different bullet seating depths which'll improve or make worse the accuracy.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:02 AM

Default Berger 55's

I've shot Berger 55's in my rifle and they shot really well.
I'll go back to them soon since I've almost exhausted all my options with the 50's

The Berger 55's might be a more accurate bullet but I need to do a little more testing before I committ to that statement.

My first load building was with the Berger 55's with Big Game and did a 300 yd. ladder test.
The horizontal "node" loads are listed below with the last 2 being best since they formed a two shot .250" group
35.0 gr. @ 3691 fps
35.1 gr. @ 3798 fps
35.2 gr. @ 3733 fps
35.3 gr. @ 3762 fps slight stiff-bolt-lift
Old 04-13-2010, 04:31 PM

That is an awesome log book. I think I will have to explore something like that. I am loving the info. I have been too busy to go shoot. I will let you know next time I do. Thanks.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:58 PM

AlbertaAl-
+1 on your log book! Is that something you made up?

So, if you look at your loads 4, 5, and 6.....
I can often go out and shoot a group like 4 and 6. Then I go out another day and the dang thing will shoot like your load 5 group. Maybe it's me, but I don't think so because I 'll try several groups without getting much better.

Another question is what is your cleaning regimen? How often and such...

Thanks!

BTW....I searched my computer and found some pictures I took when load testing. Not the best but here ya go:

Old 04-13-2010, 06:13 PM

I cleaned more regularly when breaking in my barrel but now after a few hundred rounds I clean about every 25.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA
Default the temp

I sure hope that is Celsius! It is darn cold anyway!

i like your log book page as well. I have been thinking I need to make something like that up for all my rifles too. I did print some pages out of 6mmbr.com, or off of Lee's website, or something...I wonder what ever happened to them?

larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office
Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 PM

Default log book & barrel cleaning

Yes, my recorded temperatures are celcius
I clean a barrel on all my rifles the same way which is often as I can.
Use WIPE-OUT product...run 3 seperate patches dipped in "accelerator" through the barrel and then squirt the foam into the barrel and let stand from 9-12 hrs., always overnite when the rifle can be left out while I sleep.
I never leave my rifles unlocked when I'm not home.
I'll run 7-8 patches through the barrel to remove the foam.
I never run a brush through the barrel and no final oil patch etc. is ever used to treat the clean barrel.

Log Book pages are easy to make and design to suit your own needs. I designed one page and took it to the office supply store where the young lady printed a 100 blanks.
I like to have as much information recorded as possible. Things like the date...temperature... are all a bonus.
It's also helpful to keep the target within your shooting log notes.
The log doesn't have to be extra neat for other people to view but more importantly it has be informative and accurate.

Glad other shooters can use my ideas as I'm glad to share.

-AL
Old 04-13-2010, 10:22 PM

AL
Question for you.. Have you used the 50 and 55 gr. bergers on coyotes and if so what were the results as far as damage to the hides or the animal its self. Do the bullets stay inside or go through and through... Thanks..Tim..
Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 PM

Default 50 gr. Bergers ...coyotes

Tim...
I only shot one coyote with the Berger 50gr. this past season and the bullet didnt exit. Distance was 500 yards and was a clean kill without an exit wound.

My opinion is that these 50 & 55's shouldn't contribute to alot of fur damage when they leave the muzzle from 3600-3800 fps. I think the bullet will exit most coyotes up to 300 yards but the level of fur damage will be minimal.
Coyotes shot past 350 yards are in real trouble because these bullets are accurate and have enough BC to cause serious HURT !