Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-07-2017, 01:50 PM

Default Gouges on the Head Stamp

Sounds all well and good, maybe shooting the 55 grain and working the action for a period will work. But I still say, and most reloading books show that that ejector mark on the case head, is one sign of too high pressure, for that given load. I would just feel safer and more at ease, with just not shooting that load of Nosler's and work up one that is slightly lower for your rifle/chamber. But that is just my opinion. Bill K
Old 03-07-2017, 02:11 PM

Another reason the 'ejector marks' show on new brass is if the case head to datum line is markedly shorter than what a piece of fired brass fired in the exact chamber measures.

Check the datum dimension on new brass and compare it to a piece of fired brass. Make sure to remove the primer from the fired case as it will change the measurements by a few thou.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:06 PM
Supporting Member

Stevo & Shortfuse

I'll check the sample,
I have and report back on the results,
if anyone else has a sample,
if they will measure the datum to case base dimensions,
and get the same info from loaded OEM ammo.

We will have some more info to digest etc.

Tia,
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 03-07-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Sounds all well and good, maybe shooting the 55 grain and working the action for a period will work. But I still say, and most reloading books show that that ejector mark on the case head, is one sign of too high pressure, for that given load. I would just feel safer and more at ease, with just not shooting that load of Nosler's and work up one that is slightly lower for your rifle/chamber. But that is just my opinion. Bill K
He said a 62gr bullet might be to big for the tight chamber therefore creating more pressure and causing the swiping like I stated earlier this did not happen on the 55gr reloads so it's possible they are correct the reloads are a bit long so we need to reset the bullets and I will shoot some more I'm also gonna buy some factory 55gr and see what happens with them if all is well I'll only shoot 55gr from that upper after all I bought the 22 Nosler for Predator Hunting and the 55gr is fine for that Stevo might load up some 40gr for me too
Old 03-07-2017, 06:02 PM
Supporting Member

Guys

Using the Hornady tool, with the .330 insert,
the datum line to case head measurement comes to,
1.450" for this fired case.

What is the datum measurement you find?

For live OEM ammo?

HTH,

Tia,
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan