Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2008, 10:15 PM

About 3 months ago I went through the same question and answer process about converting a savage 17 to a 17 velociraptor. My thread did not get so heated, probably because I gave up easier. I still like the idea because of the small size of the donor rifle. Someday when I have more money and better machining skills I would like to do the conversion with a modified action and a custom built bolt.

I admire looking outside the box and I am grateful for the wealth of knowledge here that kept me from making a large mistake.

fdg
Old 04-09-2008, 10:39 PM

Rodgervich, Liljas website is also what I based my calculations on. The bolt soldered on is what did it for me. Although I have to say my Marlins bolt looks cleaner than yours with no solder oozed out. But there is that squared look that led me to believe thats how they attached it.

I'm glad you gave this project the benifit of the doubt and ran some figures. Its too bad it won't work out.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:00 PM

Rimfire to centerfire is OK if you start with the right action. There have been lots of conversions of the 580-581-582-591-592 Remingtons, small Martinis, and 1922 Springfields.

Here is one thread about the Remingtons in this forum.

http://www.saubier.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1280

Bruce
Old 04-10-2008, 01:04 PM

Default There is a conversion out there which does work.

I like the Ruger 77/22 Hornet conversion.
The clip needs a little work but I can tell you how to fix it.
Check gunbroker.com or one of the auction sites and find one ate a .
reasonable cost. Pac-nor make a great barrel for one. You will need the correct reamer with little or no throat length.

This is one of my favorite conversions, cause they really shoot when they are done.

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS: is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.