Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-13-2015, 05:37 PM

Default Twist rate, again...

I have shot 22 cal 40 grain Nosler and Hornady BT's through every type of twist rate from 16 to 7, in powder capacity cases of 30 grains and less. Unless you are going to shoot ONE PARTICULAR bullet, the minimum twist should be 1 in 9. I have shot identical rifles with the same ammo side by side with the only difference being the twist rate....faster twist is far more impressive on targets! The only way one can believe this is to do their own fast twist rifle...the opinions are just too widely different, on this. This is JMO, but it is derived from shooting thousands of rounds through slow and fast twist barrels. I would not hesitate to recommend a 1/9 twist on ANY 22 cal varmint rifle. I did a 1/7 on the 22 TCM and 6mm TCM and they perform great on targets and I shoot 30 grain to 75 grain bullets through them!

Again, this is for varmint rigs, where the object is to destroy the target. Not for game rifles...If you are shooting poor quality bullets, accuracy will suffer, no matter what twist you use...

Bill
Old 10-13-2015, 09:16 PM

Thanks Bill, from your recommendation I think I will lean towards the 1-9, again this will be for the 221 Lapua brass, not looking for extreme speed out of the 40gr'ers but excellent accuracy and the most bang for the buck with the lead hits.

I've have 17's and 20's based on the FB case, but no .224 chamberings, for most reasonable varmint shooting distances, it seems hard to beat that size of a case.

I realize that is won't be phenomenal in the wind, with the lower BC on these stubby bullets, but I have 5/35's to use if need be to stretch it out or it's blowing 20 kts.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:15 AM

Barry, is this rifle build going to be New Holland blue, Allis Chalmers orange, or (my vote) Steiger green in your agriculture colored rifle series? . At least the nod to Steiger can almost double for 70 Limelight Green from Chrysler.
Old 10-14-2015, 02:43 AM

Dude! We had a Steiger when I was a kid, I forgot all about Steiger green, haha. We got the Ford FW60 also which was a just a Steiger in blue and white paint...
Old 07-05-2020, 02:48 AM

The 1-9 221FB got some work in last trip.

Lots of splatter with these 40gr Nolsers spinning fast.

Havercamp action on this one. Very happy with how it turned out. It shoots so well, I haven't put my suppressor on it to test , didn't have the heart to find out if I had to change loads or not. Since I'm out of ammo now, will do some testing before I reload them. I'm going to try to save the tuner aspect of this RAS to use with the can. We'll see how it goes. It flat throws a PD around....

Old 07-05-2020, 02:58 PM
Supporting Member

I have 2 FB in 1-14 that do a real job on PD's, but since getting some input from Randy Robinett (BIB bullets), I will be using 12 twist in the future. My last year's project with the 22 Spitfire rifle is working great with 12 twist.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:15 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william t. oviatt View Post
I have shot 22 cal 40 grain Nosler and Hornady BT's through every type of twist rate from 16 to 7, in powder capacity cases of 30 grains and less. Unless you are going to shoot ONE PARTICULAR bullet, the minimum twist should be 1 in 9. I have shot identical rifles with the same ammo side by side with the only difference being the twist rate....faster twist is far more impressive on targets! The only way one can believe this is to do their own fast twist rifle...the opinions are just too widely different, on this. This is JMO, but it is derived from shooting thousands of rounds through slow and fast twist barrels. I would not hesitate to recommend a 1/9 twist on ANY 22 cal varmint rifle. I did a 1/7 on the 22 TCM and 6mm TCM and they perform great on targets and I shoot 30 grain to 75 grain bullets through them!

Again, this is for varmint rigs, where the object is to destroy the target. Not for game rifles...If you are shooting poor quality bullets, accuracy will suffer, no matter what twist you use...

Bill
x2 This is about as clear and accurate as it can get. I completely agree.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:27 PM

Nice rifle and great you had some good advice from a very find man. Sure wish Bill was still with us. He was a wealth of information and was willing too share. Bill K
Old 07-07-2020, 02:36 AM

I put a 1:7 twist .221 fb together. Works great! Especially on gophers and prairie dogs. Incredible splat factor, I only shoot out to 225 yds or so, so it works perfectly.

As stated previously, it spins them around on impact. I don’t recommend shots inside 30 yds. As you can get hit with the splat.

Last edited by NeilA.; 07-07-2020 at 02:40 AM.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:38 AM

Sounds like a great trip Bow. Love that McMillan stock design and you have a real overachiever with the 221 Fireball chambering. Excellent setup!