Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-01-2017, 02:13 PM

Swift220's advice may be the best...not knowing where all this will lead, and you know it is a problem that has to be addressed...Just send it back for a refund and take a different path.

Thinking all this through and where it will take you... and being a Neophyte dealing with these issues.... your best action may be to just send it back! Save yourself a lot of heartache and time, that you could be enjoying shooting!

Bill
Old 03-01-2017, 02:33 PM

Default Gouges on the Head Stamp

Oviatt, hit the headspace issue on the head with his post. That shinny little ring will appear up about 1/4 inch or less, from the base, if it is a headspace issue. That would be a decent sign that the headspace is set wrong on that chamber. It does need to be checked and a cause eliminated. And again, I would not fire those factory rounds in your rifle.. Stick with reloads and work up a accurate and safe load and be content with your rifle, even tho you are not able to reach what Nosler says that cartridge will do. However remember all the good reloading books on reloading, etc. show and say that if you start getting the ejector mark on the base of a cartridge, it is a sign pressure is getting unsafe. Bill K
Old 03-01-2017, 03:30 PM
Supporting Member

Short Fuse

Can you post a photo of the bolt face,
as I have a sample of a OEM brass fired from a OEM 22 Nosler AR,
which has the same marks on the case head, as you show.

I am curious as to the bolt face and extractor and ejector locations of the OEM bolt face.

By aligning the case head marks to the bolt face, might clear up some of these questions or opinions and provide some info. etc.

Tia,
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortfuse View Post
Anyone have an Idea what would cause this and how to fix it. 22 Nosler AR, Factory Ammo it's done this since the first round fired aprox 85 rounds fired all have it some worse then others was'nt as severe with reloaded rounds. Greatful for any opinions or help with this.[url=http://s1356.photobucket.com/user/kdurgin1016/media/nic2_zps25itmalu.jpg.html]
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan
Old 03-01-2017, 03:45 PM

The Nosler data sheet say's the OAL should be 2.260 I measured 2 factory loads they were 2.175 and 2.179 if that tells anything.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:18 PM

Those dimensions don't point to a HS issue.

Maybe NVR is on to what the cause it....

The one thing is, you're right to question these marks/issues! It shows you are vigilant in your commitment to safety, and that is a very good Characteristic to possess in endeavors of this hobby!!!!!

Bill
Old 03-01-2017, 04:27 PM

You are right George - blanking as in the perfectly round hole in a primer, with the disk of material usually ending up inside a bolt.
I have also seen the word used in concert with brass flowing into the ejector pin's hole, as seen in the cases pictured in this thread.

This appears obvious to me, with my new 24" computer screen's high resolution.
My old screen would not have shown this.

If I am incorrect in my assumption this ammo is causing excessive pressure in this rifle, I stand corrected, but would like to read why pressure is not responsible for this brass flow (pressure exceeded the brass's ability to maintain it's shape, thus it flowed into the ejector port.

Last edited by Daryl; 03-01-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvreloader View Post
Short Fuse

Can you post a photo of the bolt face,
as I have a sample of a OEM brass fired from a OEM 22 Nosler AR,
which has the same marks on the case head, as you show.

I am curious as to the bolt face and extractor and ejector locations of the OEM bolt face.

By aligning the case head marks to the bolt face, might clear up some of these questions or opinions and provide some info. etc.

Tia,
Don
nvreloader heres the boltface pic
Old 03-01-2017, 05:06 PM

So this just arrived from Midway Our people have reviewed the pictures and believe the issue is the ammunition you are using. Try using a different ammunition or contact the manufacturer of the ammunition.
So I'm guessing when Nosler contacts me they'll blame the upper
Old 03-01-2017, 06:44 PM

Default May be

What about a pic of a fired case with the primer still in how flat are the primers
I wonder how hard the brass is at the solid part of the case head ?? If it's to soft it may flow at a lower pressure ??
And is your chamber and ammunition dry and free from oil ??

Just been thinking about your problem and what it mite be
also is there any case head expansion side ways on the case head ??
Old 03-01-2017, 11:51 PM
Supporting Member

Guys
FWIW
Here is some more info, from the sample I have,

There seems to be a fairly tight chamber, as there is very little expansion just above the web area,
primer is normal appearing, there is a ejector mark, and the line from bolt face extractor area,
consistent with the AR type bolts.

The diameter of the base, below the web expansion area, just above the extractor groove measures measures .416.4",
across the web expansion area measures .418.5", case neck thickness is .012/.013" (4 places checked)
length measures 1.475".

My sample also shows the same bolt face marks, just like the right sample of the 2 case heads shown,
the ejector hole mark has a raised brass burr, that is easily felt with the finger.

It might be from a burr on the edge of the ejector hole, from when the bolt was made,
that is causing this burr being scraped/raised on the case head.

The bolt head photo shows a build up of brass in this area.

As for the ejector hole swipe marks, could this be caused because of the first time firing of the ammo and being slammed back against the bolt face, slightly short HS and a slight burr raise on the ejector hole?

One way to check would be to take a very accurate mike and record the dimensions in 4 places around the case head, just above the extraction groove.
Then fire the brass and remeasure the same area, to see if there is a lot of expansion of the brass in this area.

A check with the Hornady HS gage tool would provide the datum headspace of the OEM ammo, the compared against the fired case measurements,
would provide more info etc.

I still have NOT found the SAAMI, MAP for this case.

Tia,
Don
It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for their actions."
Ronald Reagan