Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-03-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
Sizer dies CAN be cut with a carbide cutter. I've had a few cut BUT, you still have to deal with the built in taper of the body. When you shorten the die length, the smaller OD of the body area is just moved down closer to the bottom and it's even smaller than when you started. I mentioned maybe going after it with to open it up a bit but I was thinking of using a hone. If it's hardened, you end up wasting your time. Maybe having a smaller carbide cutter that will fit inside the die so you could make the bottom a touch larger to eliminate the scuffing??

As far as how much recoil you'll end up with, you'll only know when you fire your first round. And somewhere around 10 grains of powder can't be that much. Pushing a 20 grain bullet, next to nothing.
What I was initially after was a short reloadable round with the least amount of recoil that I could get. My goal was to fire a round and see my hits on the target out to 100 yards. The 20 VT "short" came close but the 15 pound rig still had a little recoil movement so target was blurred. Anything out past 100 yards and the rig had a chance to settle back down so you could see the hits.
Even worse on a SP based rig. Not THAT BAD but not exactly what I was after.
A nice 20+ pound Martini rechambered for the 20 TCM or even in 17 caliber, and fitted with a good extraction system would fit the bill.

Mikie,
I understood your post #19 on page 2 describing the shortened sizer-die phenomenon. The same post#19 explained why you wanted a low recoil round too, which made sense to me as well. So don't let it frustrate you that others here did not understand this and suggested that perhaps you take up knitting or butterfly collecting. On that premise of what some others might think, I guess my own reason for wanting a shortened and less powerful Vartarg should place me directly into the wimp department. LOL This time I want my 700 donor rifle to fire a cartridge that I can fire casually and reminds me more of a Hornet or a 22Mag, and less like my current booming and serious 22x47L and 6.5Creedmoor varmint rifles.

As for shortening the sizerdies; Yep....I officially dropped that idea!

I would have to have my own lathe to experiment and machine the sizer die in slow and careful graduations. I can't expect a smith will cut the die, hand it to me, and it's going to work great when I get home. Rather then risk destroying a $90 Redding S die and the extra charge the smith will charge to shorten it, it's just makes more sense to get a custom Whidden die from the start.

Last edited by Centerfire; 03-03-2017 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:16 PM
Supporting Member

BUT, if we didn't try different things, we would get bored?? Biggest thing is, most of the things we try, someone else has already been there, done that.

And I was just thinking about the "Lee Bulge Buster" die. Might see if there's any difference in case size by running any "short" case thru the Lee die "before" it hits a shortened die. Never tried the "before" thing. It was always "after" the scuffing showed up.

You in the "wimp department"? I don't think so. You have something in mind and you NEED to follow thru till you find out if it will work. Keep at it. We'll be rooting for you BUT, we want a final report when you get your results.
Old 03-03-2017, 07:22 PM

Mikie,
I just reviewed all your posts on this thread thinking I had already asked you this, but I think I neglected to do so; Could you tell me the length of your "20VT Short" from base to shoulder give or take about 10,000ths thousandths. Mine is about .875". Also, what's the OAL case length. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:23 PM
Supporting Member

OAL of my VT "short" is just at 1.200.
Length from base to shoulder is just at .900. Looks like yours is even shorter.
What I did was just push the shoulder back on a VT case till it looked right to my eye. No real plan, just a shorter case.

Now the TCM is even shorter.
OAL is 1.025 and to the shoulder it's about .725.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 03-03-2017 at 11:25 PM.