Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-06-2017, 05:24 PM

Default BoreSnake for 17 Remington?

Hey all,
I am not "new" when it comes to .17 caliber shooting. However, I'm by far an expert in the field.

I have a custom contender rifle chambered in .17-222 (30degree shoulder) and can only get 25 rounds (at most) before accuracy takes a dump. Barrel copper fouls something fierce.

I do have a CZ Varmint .17 Hornet that I can shoot accurately atleast 100 rounds between cleanings. ( I JB'd the bore on this rifle and found that accuracy improved and cleaning frequency was greatly decreased)

However, I'm getting ready to setup my CZ Varmint in .17 Remington and am wondering if anyone uses a "boresnake" to clean in the field. I'd sure like to get more than 25 rounds out of this barrel before accuracy takes a dump. But, I'm not counting my chickens.

I was thinking that a bore snake ran through every 20 rounds or so may increase barrel accuracy until I can get home for a proper cleaning.

I've never been a fan of "boresnakes"..............however, it could be a useful tool for clearing (powder fouling) out of the tiny .17 bore to extend accuracy.

Any thoughts or experience with this?

Comments are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:44 PM

I use only one piece rods in ALL of my rifles, coated, bare or carbon depending on calibre.
Old 03-06-2017, 05:50 PM

If you are getting that much copper fouling then something is wrong. Maybe lapping the bore or a proper break-in like shoot 1 and clean for 10 times may help. Lots of copper solvents on the market and I use Wipeout which seems to do a good job for me.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:00 PM

You ***MAY***find differing opinions on the use of the Bore Snakes. Some will determine that they damage the bore without even trying them.

While I don't believe a boresnake will be of significant help with copper fouling, they do a good job of minimizing the powder fouling. I have used them in numerous calibers with good results.

If you are getting that much copper fouling, I believe you have a barrel problem that may require big-time cleaning / polishing or replacement.

I would give the bore snakes a try for field cleaning.

Zipping on my fire-retardant suit.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 03-06-2017, 06:19 PM

My 17-222 (30degree shoulder) contender barrel is a factory .17HMR rechambered by OTT back in the day.

I think it must be a bit "rough" as It does copper foul more than I would expect. Wipe Out works great ( I use it).

What i'm asking about with the bore snakes is for my NEW UNFIRED .17 Remington because I have heard the "horror stories" of .17 remingtons needing cleaned every 15-25 rounds.

Reason for asking is my experience with the 17-222 contender is not an anomaly from what I "read" on the internet. So it must be true right?

Maybe I should just shoot the CZ .17 remington and see how many rounds I can get between cleanings.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Still wondering if anyone has any real life positive experience using a bore snake to cleanout the barrel extending accuracy of a .17 Remington in the field until one can clean at home.

I'm not about to carry a cleaning rod with me on a 2 mile hike shooting Rock Chucks in eastern oregon.

Thus, the reason for my question.

Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2017, 06:42 PM
Supporting Member

I’ve never used one in a 17 caliber so can’t say directly that it would help , but have used them in my 22 bores and they are very effective getting powder fouling out. Don’t see why they wouldn’t do the same for a 17 caliber bore.
Only one way to be sure...
Old 03-06-2017, 07:23 PM
Supporting Member

I have a Boresnake for every Rifle. When I return from the Range I soak the barrel with Remington Brite Bore and let em sit for 15 minutes. Then run the Boresnake through them. I do it twice then put them away. I only give them a good Bore Brush and Rod cleaning once a year. That includes my 17/223.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
I have a Boresnake for every Rifle. When I return from the Range I soak the barrel with Remington Brite Bore and let em sit for 15 minutes. Then run the Boresnake through them. I do it twice then put them away. I only give them a good Bore Brush and Rod cleaning once a year. That includes my 17/223.

Thanks Stevo,
I was hoping to hear from someone who had direct experience with it in a .17 centerfire.

Heck, they are cheap enough. I'll probably give it a shot. I've always been a "one piece" rod kinda guy. But, for field use, if packing the bore snake with me gets me more accurate shots on game without harming my rifle. I'm all for it.

Hope to hear more feedback from those who have used them in a .17 centerfire...........Good, Bad, and Ugly.
Old 03-06-2017, 11:23 PM
Supporting Member

I would stick an aerosol can of some kind of cleaner in with the Bore Snake. Just pulling the Snake through alone doesn't get much. Give it a shot with something first then a couple pulls and no reason why you shouldn't get some more shooting in. My 17/223 does foul as your does just not as fast. I have been told that H&R used Premium Douglas Barrels on these 317 Rifles.

I have heard guys on here talk about using Teflon to coat their Barrels. That would probably help a lot and maybe someone that does it will chime in.

Steve
Old 03-07-2017, 12:07 AM

Stevo, I believe that Douglas used the term 'Ultra-Rarified" to describe the H&R "Ultra" barrels. The M317 was called "Ultra-Wildcat". I have a H&R Model 370 that is called a Ultra-Medalist. It is a 243 Winchester using a Commercial FN M98 action. It really likes light bullets. Kevin G. can probably add much more info.