Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-14-2020, 07:10 PM

Default 17-223 popularity?

Why Is the 17-223 not ever heard about much on here?I'm building one on a old rem 660 action and would like to hear about any of your projects. What twist and barrel maker would you use it will be a bobcat and coyote gun?I was going to use pacnor as i liked there barrels but not sure they will ever be back.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:34 PM

When I replaced the barrel on my m700,17 rem, I would have went 17/223 or 17/204. But I had plenty of new 17 rem brass and an AR upper I assembled in 17 rem. I really like the 29-30 gr 17's at 3900+ for coyote, the Berger 25's(varmints) sweet on raccoon and red fox and feral cats, would think that would carry over to stubbies. I have used Lilja blanks for all my custom barrels. 1/9 twist for the 17.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:41 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex View Post
Why Is the 17-223 not ever heard about much on here?I'm building one on a old rem 660 action and would like to hear about any of your projects. What twist and barrel maker would you use it will be a bobcat and coyote gun?I was going to use pacnor as i liked there barrels but not sure they will ever be back.

http://pac-nor.com/

I've been a 17 Rem shooter since the early 1970's, so the 17-223 never really caught my eye. That said, its a great cartridge that allows for good use of existing 223 Rem cartridges.

As for a barrel twist, I'd go with a 1-9 twist for any of the 17 caliber stuff without hesitation. And PacNor is never a bad choice for a new barrel in any bore diameter. You might try calling PacNor to see their current status on opening back up is, and to see if it meets your needs.

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 07-14-2020, 10:43 PM

[quote=lI was going to use pacnor as i liked there barrels but not sure they will ever be back.[/QUOTE]

Pacnor is back up and operating on a slightly limited stage, but working hard to get fully back into business. You might call and ask about your project and see if they can do it, at this time. Bill K
Old 07-15-2020, 12:19 AM

I would guess because .17 Remington and .17-.223 are essentially the same, but .17-.223 requires a set of custom dies, and .17 Reminton dies are a stocked item.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:06 AM

Default .17 Rem or .17/223

Performance should be pretty close. .223 brass is common as grass and easy to form; .17 Rem brass not so much. I had a .17/223 years ago and liked it. However, if I were doing a project like yours, I might opt for a .17 Fireball.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:34 AM

I have visited with a few folks that have had both,17 Remington and 17-223. None of these folks knew each other, yet the consensus was the 17 Remington seemed to have a better life in the accuracy department, running at full throttle. All of these were of the thoughts the longer neck helped.

One fellow even said he had to burn more powder to get the same speed in the 17-223. Funny, I had a 30-06AI that did the same thing.

I have a 17FB myself and I run nothing but 20’s in it. It drives these at sane speeds with ease.
The 17 Remington sees 25’s and heavier.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I have visited with a few folks that have had both,17 Remington and 17-223. None of these folks knew each other, yet the consensus was the 17 Remington seemed to have a better life in the accuracy department, running at full throttle. All of these were of the thoughts the longer neck helped.

One fellow even said he had to burn more powder to get the same speed in the 17-223. Funny, I had a 30-06AI that did the same thing.

I have a 17FB myself and I run nothing but 20’s in it. It drives these at sane speeds with ease.
The 17 Remington sees 25’s and heavier.
I run 20s in my Fireball and my 17 Remington, but given a choice, my 17 Remington would see 25 grainers. I only run the 20s in my 17 Remingtom because my Cooper (with a 10 twist?) shoots plastic bullets at about improved cylinder choke.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I would guess because .17 Remington and .17-.223 are essentially the same, but .17-.223 requires a set of custom dies, and .17 Reminton dies are a stocked item.
That’s pretty much my take on this.
I’ve owned several 17 Rems, two in my safe now. They’re terrific on PDs. And I’ve shot a few coyotes with them. My coyote success with them has been very good, except when the coyote is running away and the shot is in the rear. That takes multiple shots.
Old 07-21-2020, 04:24 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

lex:

Welcome to the board. IF you really want to learn what the rest of us
old timers here have been doing for 20 years or more. Just kick back and
do a few hours reading the old posts. There's a hell of a lot of info and
educational info on here. beats having everyone rehash the same stuff
again. Seems like just about every 'newbie' that joins asks the same questions.
No big deal really, just trying to give you a heads up and help you learn what you're wanting to know.

Since I had a .222 mag, wore it out, and had the new barrel cut to .223 because of brass by the drums full.
When i wanted a .17 it was for fairly short range shots among $100.000 horses.
I wanted a "small cartridge gun". Quiet and accurate. I looked at a bunch of cases and foxhunter sent a dummy round
for his .17 Velociraptor (VR). That rang my bell. So I made one up in a NEF.
A few years later he decided he'd part with the Cooper, so I bought it.

This was before HMR and 17M2 came out a few years.
I used the HMR barreled NEF for the first one.
Not much later I bought a 17M2. Seems like these guns don't need much encouragement to self propagate.
Believe I have at least six varmint rifles now. At times I wonder what goes on in these gun safes!

Best wishes on your project. Hope it turns out the way you hope it will.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 07-21-2020 at 04:31 AM. Reason: sorting more bs