Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2011, 12:34 AM
Supporting Member

Default Barrel pressure pad removal ? OT larger caliber

I have a Remington 243 rifle with a factory wood stock that has a barrel pad . The gun will shoot two rounds cold though one hole then send the next three into a inch group?
Do you think removing the pad will help the groups alone without pillars ? We're going out west in two weeks and I wanted to bring this rifle to shoot. I don't have time to have any work do before hand. Do you experts think this may help the groups or should I leave it as is and make better first shots

Thanks Ed
Old 05-08-2011, 01:07 AM

Ed
It's always been my belief a barrel will shoot to the best of it's ability without any contact or pressure from the stock. Couple weeks isn't a lot of time to do much but clearing out those pads and a decent bedding job would go a long ways.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furhunter View Post
Ed
It's always been my belief a barrel will shoot to the best of it's ability without any contact or pressure from the stock. Couple weeks isn't a lot of time to do much but clearing out those pads and a decent bedding job would go a long ways.
Agreed,,, my experience with Remmy's is ya gotta do a good bedding (with pillars if ya can) if you're gonna mess with that pressure pad.

Charlie
Old 05-08-2011, 02:30 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies I had a feeling that more work was needed .
This gun was going to replace my 22-250 for pdogs . The .243 with 58 grain Vmax bullets would be a gas shooting dogs around the 100 yard mark

Maybe next year.

Thanks again Ed
Old 05-09-2011, 12:17 PM

Ed- there are two things that you can do that almost always help this problem. 1st- Make sure that the pressure pad is smooth, alot of the Remmy's have just a slight ridge down the center. If so sand it smooth.
2nd- Take a rattail file and make an index mark in the center of the pad. The barrel will start from a single location for every shot.
I hope this helps, it did for me.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:04 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaz View Post
Ed- there are two things that you can do that almost always help this problem. 1st- Make sure that the pressure pad is smooth, alot of the Remmy's have just a slight ridge down the center. If so sand it smooth.
2nd- Take a rattail file and make an index mark in the center of the pad. The barrel will start from a single location for every shot.
I hope this helps, it did for me.
Thank you Qaz I checked this out tonight and you were right the barrel will move left / right . I can see with some heat it would allow it to hang either way .
I didn't have time to dig into it tonight but thursday I may have some time. If this helps I will post back here.

Ed
Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Supporting Member

Great post. I have a rem700 in 7mm 08. I am going to try some of these modifications.