Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-09-2013, 05:20 PM

I've found a Leupold VX-2 4-12X40mm works quite well and having a lower power comes in handy when Willy Coyote comes in to check things out. Another good option would be a Leupold FX-3 12x40mm. I carry one on our .17 Remington and the target dot is great for precision work.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:44 AM

I have a 5.5-16x44mm Nikon Monarch AO scope on my CZ 527 22 hornet and love that thing! I wear a Nikon Buckmaster SF 4-14x40mm on my CZ 453 17hmr, and it is "OK". (14x is still a little tough for targeting with just 17cal holes at 100 yards, the 16 is better.) So other than a 30-06 I just put a 3-10x50mm Sightron SIII Big Sky scope on, I'll probably never go less than 16x again, for anything. Now I do set this scope down to its lowest possible magnification setting when night hunting for predators, but this older Monarch is great glass!

For pure targeting you may need more (and a thinner reticle too). But for my combination of solid 200yd performance on small targets and ability to do low light and even pitch dark night time hunting, the 16x Monarch is as much as I could ever want on a hornet. In summer when stretching the distance on ground-hogs, the extra magnification (without just increasing mirage) is nice.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:45 AM

That price on a 6-18 Buckmaster is GREAT by the way, thanks for the tip!
Old 12-10-2013, 01:32 AM
Supporting Member

I like the vx-lll with the vhr, best for 500 yard pds not because of the brand but because of the vhr, really nice for lr pd. I have 2, one on a 20 he and other on a 17-222.

I only use my 17ah out to around 300 yards and about anything will do ok but I have a 10x md Bushnell 3200 on my contender 17 ah, works great. Nikon 2-8 I think on another and a 6-24 Simmons 44 mag on the last 17 ah they all do just fine but anything beyond 300 and the higher power Simmons will not have good enough resolution for my eyes. That said I usually go higher power now days with good glass, sometimes is handy to zoom in on something. I do like both of my buckmasters w/sf and the smaller tally rings on my cd 527s as well as the weavers. Like I said not to picky but small targets as longer ranges need better glass. I just ordered in the l/m-5 last month for a friend, wow talk about some high dollar glass! Bh had them for just under3k. I haven't had an opportunity to check it out yet???

Tags
17 hornet, scope