Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 10-01-2013, 05:36 PM

Default Work bench height?

Need some advice. How high should your work bench be for swaging? Made the top today, but I´m slightly unsure about how high it should be mounted.

Regards,
Peter
Old 10-01-2013, 06:46 PM

Default Bench height

Peter hopefully George Ulrich and some of the guys on here already making bullets will reply to this. I'm just getting ready to start myself I've been thinking about this. My benches are right at 38" but I haven't started yet. I'm 5' 8". What do you other guys have to say your feedback as always is appreciated.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:20 AM

Default I've always used the belt buckle rule

Dean Grennel recommended a workbench height even with the top of your belt buckle in one of his ABC's of Reloading books. I've used that rule for every bench I've ever built and it seems to work well. For me that's 41" and I'm 6' 2".

Patrick
Old 10-02-2013, 02:35 PM

Plus One on Patric's suggestion.
I have two bench heights:
One about 42 inches high with a stool for regular reloading and close eye-to-hand work.
One at 30 inches for manual work that I stand at. This allows more access to projects that require strength to perform, like swagging.

The best investment is a quality, adjustable & comfortable stool! (Old Guy Suggestion). AND, a cushioned floor mat to stand on....(another Old Guy Sug.)
Also, I put a back-splash and side shoulders on the high bench to "corral" outlaw parts and pieces from getting away over the edges. (another OGS!)

Old Guy Bill
Old 10-03-2013, 05:25 PM

35,5" is what I´m going with! Thanks for all the help. Will post some pictures of my tiny bench when everything is done.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:05 PM

I think it depends how you mount your presses, angeled to top of bench or vertcal straight to bench top.

Regards from Finland.
Old 10-05-2013, 02:31 AM

Workbench height for swaging might be different to reloading depending on your press set-up.

I prefer to be able to look down into the cases for handloading, but always seem to be looking horizontally to 45 deg when swaging though. Keeping the seated cores and pointed projectiles closer to my eyes makes it easier to pick up changes in the base/boat tail or point/meplat (dia 0.063"). Ongoing inspection makes it easier to pick up faults quickly allows adjustment before a major issue(rejects) as most are only just visible. Inevitably I end up stacking buckets/shelves under projectiles to bring them up to a good working or viewing height.

Aaron
Old 10-11-2013, 07:38 PM

I was taught belly button height and standing is easier on your back for any workbench.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:23 PM
Supporting Member

I'm 6'2" and my bench is 41". I like to be able to stand and work or sit on a stool. It is the perfect height for both.
Old 04-22-2014, 05:18 PM

Default my table

I just built a new one for my swagging presses. It's only 34" tall, but I was kinda stuck on that hieght as i bought a used solid oak dinig room table at a grage sale for $25. The top is 1.5" thick and I just couldn't pass that up. I ripped 8" off the width of the top to make a small shelf under the table. Just used some lag bolts to hold it.