Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 10-10-2014, 10:45 PM

Default Cleaning Cores

When I bought my set up, It came with 6,000ish jackets and 6,000ish Charlie Hood cores. The previous owner had things in multiple stages of "preparedness".
I have since used all the clean cores he had. I now need to prep the remaining cores so that when I am ready, I can seat them into the jackets.

This is my understanding of how to clean my cores according to my notes I took over 1 year ago. I know each person has a different method, and this is the method he used, so it will be the method I use until I am educated enough to make my own decisions. I sat out to take notes so I didn't have to bother him or others when it came to doing things at a later time (knowing it would be 1+ years before I did this step).

From my notes:

I take the cores (I assume I have a box of 1000ish) and place them in an empty jacket bucket. Pour degreaser (his degreaser of choice is "GREEZE OFF" from the auto parts store) in the bucket at 100% strength and let cores soak for 5+ minutes. At that point, I leave the cores in the same bucket, but run VERY HOT water in the bucket allowing the bucket to over flow allowing the degreaser to work it's way out of the bucket. When nothing but clean water is flowing over the lip of the bucket, I can turn off the hot water rinse.

At this point, I drain the water and place the cores onto a clean towel laying flat on the floor. I double over the towel and began to dry the cores off. I then move the cores to a 2nd clean towel and let them cool and dry.

Does this process sound right? How long do I need to let them dry before I can seat the cores?

Last edited by P1ZombieKiller; 10-10-2014 at 10:50 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-09-2014, 01:48 AM

Default Cores

I suggest using a fast evaporating lacquer thinner in a 5 gal. Bucket and the cores in a carburetor dip bucket. Swish them around for a few minutes then dry in a towel as you mentioned. They will come out shiny and clean, but I am a firm believer in etching the cores. Take the cleaned cores , back in the carb dip bucket and dip them in about a quarter cup of white vinegar to 3 gallons of water for a minute or two....just till you notice the shine barely going away then immediately rinse the crap out of them to stop the process. And dry again on clean towels. Now they will look more like a satin finish.
I can't offer any proof that etching makes a better core, just how I was taught by some proven bullet makers.
Bryan