Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 10-11-2016, 09:39 AM
Supporting Member

Default Big NJ Bears

Well yesterday was opening day of our first early season Bear Bow Season. There are 3 days of Bow and 3 days of Muzzy Loader. NJ has some of the biggest Black Bears in the world. A 876lb Boar was taken 2 years ago. This was the largest one I saw reported yesterday. 533lbs.

Old 10-11-2016, 03:15 PM

That's a big bear. Had an experience with a mother and 2 cubs. Walked behind me at 15 yds while on the ground deer hunting. Beautiful animals but I could go my whole life without another encounter of a mother bear that close. I estimate she was nearly 400lbs. I had a 20 guage single shot. If she had charged I could shoot once then kiss my butt goodbye.
"I came that they may have life and have it abundantly" John 10:10
Old 10-11-2016, 11:42 PM
Supporting Member

I have run into Sow's with Cubs a few times. Once while camping and had my family with 4 small kids with me. The Sow woofed her 3 Cubs up a tree then started to come into my camp sniffing breakfast on the picnic table. All I had was my 9MM Firestar. I tried to wave her off but she kept coming and the kids were asleep in the tent. As she got to the other side of the table I aimed right between her eyes. Just then a Park Ranger pulled up and she took off like she was shot with her Cubs in tow. Ranger came over and had a shotgun with rubber slugs. Told me he has been poping her with the slugs all week in that area.

Black Bears only attack for one reason. Too eat you. The Cubs always run up the nearest Tree way out of harms way.

The report I heard on the radio this morning was 150 Bears taken on the first day. Fish and Wildlife are hoping for 1000 to be taken between this week long season and the 6 day firearm season in December. We are off to a good start. Price for a Bear Tag is two dollars even for non residents.

Where else can you take a world class Bear for 2 Bucks
Old 10-12-2016, 01:50 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
We are off to a good start. Price for a Bear Tag is two dollars even for non residents.

Where else can you take a world class Bear for 2 Bucks
Excellent thread and excellent point.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 10-12-2016, 09:50 AM
Supporting Member

The Bow Hunters are doing a fine job. F&W wants us to shoot the first Bear we see. This state is overrun with Bears and we actually had one fella killed and eaten last year while hiking with a group. Most guys won't shoot a Sow with Cubs though. My Farm was located about 4 miles from the NJ Shore resort town of Pt. Pleasant Beach. I woke one morning to this young Boar making breakfast of my Chickens. I grabbed my Marlin .35 and headed out the door. Figured he would take off as soon as he saw me. You can see him looking at me in this photo as I approached while wife was taking photo. He never budged. As I got within 30 yards he clacked his teeth and made some woofs at me and held his ground. I aimed at his big head and said "Bear you have just two options here, and your really not going to like option number two". Like he could understand me he turned and walked off. Final count he killed 9 Chickens but ate only three.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:52 AM
Board Sponsor

In a simple word WOW! I've never thought about black bear at that size, indeed a fine hunting place to be.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 10-12-2016, 10:04 AM
Supporting Member

Burt you can get a Cabin in the Bear infested area of Stokes State Forest for $35.00 a night. It is right in the NW section of the State where NY, Pa, an NJ meet if your interested. I think it's about a 8 hour ride from Youngstown, Oh.

We get our Pumpkins from there to sell on our Farm.

Legal firearms are Muzzy Loaders or Slug Shotguns though. Rifles are only permitted for Predator's and Ground Hogs.

Oh and that is the area the fella was eaten by the Bear
Old 10-12-2016, 10:11 AM
Supporting Member

Here's one a buddy got yesterday. 563 pounds. You need a plan to get these things out of the woods. Dragging is not an option as they are like a 500 pound sack of Jello. LOL

Old 10-12-2016, 10:21 AM
Supporting Member

Think about it. Mike stuck this Bruin with an arrow, Bear takes off into the Corn Field. He gets down and sees blood.

Then walks in there with nothing but his Bow looking for that Monster. In NJ we are not allowed to carry a handgun while hunting or a Rifle.

The words Big Kahoonie's comes to mind eh

This Bearzilla was killed 2 or 3 years ago. On the F&W Certified Scale it went to 876 pounds. Now keep in mind all these weights I am giving you are AFTER they have been dressed. Live weight on this guy had to be pushing 1000 pounds.

Now I'm no Bear hunter but I do hunt Coyotes, Fox, and Turkey in that area of Stokes. Our woods in NJ are thick to say the least. We have very little old growth woods. Just being out there roosting a Tom at dark with these things roaming around is hair raising to say the least lol.

Last edited by Stevo; 10-12-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
Well yesterday was opening day of our first early season Bear Bow Season. There are 3 days of Bow and 3 days of Muzzy Loader. NJ has some of the biggest Black Bears in the world. A 876lb Boar was taken 2 years ago. This was the largest one I saw reported yesterday. 533lbs.

[
Nice bear! Any idea of the green hide measurement of that one? I took a nice blackie in Alberta last year but the outfitter was not set up to weigh it. It measured 7'7" green, so was just wondering what it might have weighed. Only had about 1.5" of fat.