Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2019, 12:37 PM

So I take it ,no trim case.
I heard they was discontinued those bullets.i may have heard wrong
Old 03-23-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming Drifter View Post
I'm using a Redding FL S-type 22 Nosler die, replaced the decapping rod assembly with a 204 Ruger and using a .250, .245, .240, .235, .230 and lastely a .229 bushing I'm getting the neck tention I want and excellant concentricity. For a seater, Redding makes a 20 Nosler seater die but I also bought the Hornady straight line seater in the 22 Nosler which will work perfect, I also think it's comparible to the Vickerman.
Excellent , will a 6mm bullet pass through the die ?
Old 03-23-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Nosler used the 404 Jeffery case for it's series of rounds. Trimming down the base/rim for the 20 Nosler. Bill K
On a quick search I found that it was based on the 6.8SPC case. Was that derived from the 404? I guess I could look that up too. Either way something new and shiny to look at.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf View Post
On a quick search I found that it was based on the 6.8SPC case. Was that derived from the 404? I guess I could look that up too. Either way something new and shiny to look at.
Everything I read is it was from the 404 case. Now in setting up a AR for the 22 Nosler, you need a 6.8SPC magazine and of course a barrel for that caliber. If I understand how to put one together and have a upper for your AR-15 lower. Bill K
Old 03-23-2019, 07:52 PM

Don't see how it could be based on the 404 Jeffery case--with the Jeffery's .545" base and rim diameter. Far too large a case for a 20-caliber round. Also, can't be based on the 30AR with its .500" base diameter. The SAAMI 20 Nosler drawing that GrocMax provided shows a base diameter of .4207" and (rebated) rim diameter of .378". Grey Wolf has it right, I think, noting the 6.8 SPC as the parent. This latter in turn is based on the 30 Remington, not the 404 Jeffery. Both the 6.8 SPC and 30 Remington have base diameters of ~.42", although neither has the rim turned down to the .378" of the 20 Nosler.

Last edited by South Pender; 03-23-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:59 PM

The brass is rebated(ms?), which means the base is a bit smaller than the body. A .223 bolt face is what you need. It must be fairly popular because PTG has the reamers in stock. The brass is 3/16" or so shorter than the .223 brass so the 55gr VLD (20cal) should be just what I'm looking for in a OAL to fit my Tikka T3 mag.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:32 PM

[quote=South Pender;280112]Don't see how it could be based on the 404 Jeffery case--with the Jeffery's .545" base and rim diameter.

All I know is that Nosler took the 404 Jeffery case, turned or whatever the base down to make a rebated one, blew out the shoulder area and chambered a barrel in what they call the 22 Nosler and able to work in a 223 bolt, on a AR-15, but use a 6.8spc magazine and a barrel then chambered to the new 20 Nosler.
I would suggest just pulling it up and reading what and how they came up with it and also the other cartridges, that now have in their Nosler line up. Bill K
Old 03-23-2019, 09:57 PM

Also, though they are similar, the 20 Nosler isn't just a necked down 22 Nosler.

The true 20 Nosler, if Nosler ever makes it, and the 20-22 Nosler Wildcat do not share the same parent case dimensions. The body length on the 20 Nosler is longer and it has slightly more case capacity than does the 22 Nosler or a wildcat version in 20-22Nosler.

I don't think Nosler has done much with advancing their 20 Nosler project but I'm sure there are some wildcat 20-22Noslers out there, just be careful to get the correct reamer or you'll end up with some seriously excessive headspace.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:12 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Pender View Post
Don't see how it could be based on the 404 Jeffery case--with the Jeffery's .545" base and rim diameter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
All I know is that Nosler took the 404 Jeffery case, turned or whatever the base down to make a rebated one, blew out the shoulder area and chambered a barrel in what they call the 22 Nosler and able to work in a 223 bolt, on a AR-15, but use a 6.8spc magazine and a barrel then chambered to the new 20 Nosler.

I would suggest just pulling it up and reading what and how they came up with it and also the other cartridges, that now have in their Nosler line up. Bill K

This is all really pretty simple. From Wiki........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosler...ary_cartridges

.22 Nosler cartridge

22 Nosler (left), .223 Remington (right)

Quoted from Wiki: "In January 2017 Nosler introduced the .22 Nosler. The 22 Nosler is a 22 (.224") caliber, rebated-rim centerfire rifle cartridge designed by Nosler. The 22 Nosler is a SAAMI approved and standardized cartridge. It is the fifth cartridge designed by Nosler. It is claimed that the 22 Nosler delivers 25% more case capacity and is nearly 300 fps faster than a .223 Remington/ 5.56 NATO. This cartridge is designed to use the existing bolt face of an AR-15, and conversions to this caliber can be accomplished with a simple upper receiver swap. The shoulder is set back slightly compared to the 5.56 cartridge to prevent accidentally chambering a 5.56 cartridge in a 22 Nosler rifle. The case diameter and taper resemble those of the 6.8mm Remington SPC, so Nosler recommends using a magazine designed for that cartridge. While similar to the 6.8SPC in some regards, there is no parent case and the 22 Nosler cannot be formed from 6.8SPC brass. Unlike the next four Nosler cartridges, all of which were designed earlier than the .22, this is the first Nosler cartridge to deviate from using the .404 Jeffery as the parent case."

The "next four Nosler cartridges" referenced just above are the 26 Nosler, 28 Nosler, 30 nosler, and 33 Nosler in the Wiki article at the link

Any wildcat cartridges/20 Nosler cartridges created off this 22 Nosler case may indeed not all be the same. In the case of the "20 Nosler" that Wyo is referencing, from his information, it sounds like its just a simple neck down with no other dimensional changes done to the 22 Nosler case.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 03-23-2019 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:21 PM

Thanks for posting that BCB. I am not smart enough with the PC/copy/pasting of those articles. Now all will know. Bill K