Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-19-2019, 11:49 PM
Supporting Member

Howdy Guys. To those interested in my off topic truck project. The body man and I decided to stay close to factory colors but sparkle em up a bit. He got the box done and sent me a pic so I thought I'd pass it on. At this point it'll be done soon, won't get much gopher shooting done this summer but it'll be ready to roll for elk and spring rodents. Phone picture so bumping the size up a titch made it show a bit blurry compared to the real pic in it's original size. We like it !

Heck of a topic for a small caliber gun site . I got the Mechanical stuff done in Bozeman but my body man is about 25 miles over the hill in Livingston, boy does some extra horsepower, new wheels and tires plus a completely renovated suspension and steering system give ya a whole new outlook on an old truck!
That's the current status. Not far from done, my body man's a Wizard!! Wonderful dealing with guys you've know for years.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:25 AM
Supporting Member

Lookin' good Doug. Nancy going to let you drive her truck?
Old 08-20-2019, 04:39 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Gaining on it at least.
Pretty color.

shooting over the hood, or roof CAN be mighty hard on paint!

I sure caught hell from Dad when he saw the big V on the roof of his Pontiac
wagon that day.

Not mine, but, wife's cousin took a guy shooting over the hood of his '57
Chevy p/up with the ridges down the hood and bullet hole thru both of 'em.

Butch wasn't too happy about that. At least so far I've never shot a hole thru one.

Hope it's done in time to haul that elk out Doug.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-20-2019, 02:23 PM
Supporting Member

George, when Nancy and I were starting the dating deal trying to figure out who's who and what's what some 36 or 37ish years ago I always figured ya might as well be honest about what hanging around long term might be like. I picked her up early one sunny spring day, we decided to use her little Honda Civic and away we went. I brought a killer lunch to show her I ain't no slouch around the kitchen and also brought a couple tricked out 10-22 Ruger's been slicked up by Jim Clark down in Louisiana and a couple three bricks of American Eagle .22 fodder and off we went.
She'd never shot gophers before but she took to it like a Duck on a June bug.
To cut to the chase we were up on a bit of a hill that afternoon shooting down at about a gazillion gophers, we were shooting off the hood of that little car at squirrels about 25 to 150 yards out. She took instruction well , she's a natural born shooter and she was slaying everything she aimed at and giggling like a virgin on prom night.
Towards the end of the day we'd moved to a little steeper side-hill and one popped up about 25 yards out. She aims at him and misses, shoots again and same thing. After about he tenth or eleventh miss I hear a little bzzz, shoots again and same thing. I have her hold up the rifle and look at the hood to find a mess of little lines, scope was clearing the car top but the barrel wasn't. That's when she earned the nickname "Gunner" , Hates it !!!
She's never done it again. I tell guys when they are gonna meet her for the first time, her nick-name is "Gunner" call her that when ya first meet her to make friends. I've been truly blessed in the wife dept. She is indeed a shooter with a great sense of humor to boot .
I borrowed her Honda one day and had the same body man that's doing my truck take the creases outta that car. To much coffee this morning sorry about the book .

As to being done, week to 10 days tops!
Old 08-20-2019, 04:07 PM

Great story Doug and a fine way to begin a life together, with a beautiful partner. Bill K
Old 08-21-2019, 04:50 AM

That's the way to get a black eye giving info out like that.

Glad she's stuck with you all these years. Sounds like you
found a good match. Better than some of the rest of us have
done.
Hang in there til the end.

it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-21-2019, 10:15 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Lookin' good Doug. Nancy going to let you drive her truck?
Not a chance she'll be driving that truck without there's 2 foot a snow on the ground, Ray, that'd leave me driving her 2018 Accord, I think even the thought a that makes her nervous . Ya see, I been known to speed a bit . She's real fond a that car and I'm think'n the only time she'll be driving that truck is when her car needs some time getting cleaned by an anal compulsive or the gas tank needs filled .
Old 09-10-2019, 03:38 AM
Supporting Member

Coming right along.

Ok, it's a little farther along then that.

Lotta pearl in the paint. Went from the original 195 horse with a lot a those ponies wore out in those 195,000 miles they been ridden. 330 horse now and far from broken in but with about 450 miles on the finished product, varying the speed from 65 to 85 ish etc it got a bit over 16 miles per this weekend. Along about 5000 to 8000 depending on the engine it will start getting it's best mileage.
Everything new underneath it, stiff but not brutal. Better then it was new, been asked by a lotta buddies what I'm gonna get to actually hunt and fish with? That's it . Been a fun project. Looking forward to being able to get into it a bit but I'm a strong believer in breaking things in right. New sound-system, sub-woofer, Blue Tooth with more technology then I'll spend the time to figure out in the process of being done.
Engine, tranny, new AC etc man did a great job on the exhaust, love that V8 Grumble. Nearly completed and just in time for fall. Be nice getting a wolf in the back this winter, they are expecting a lotta snow so an elk should be pretty easy , landowner buddy is sick and tired feeding em his alfalfa and barley, makes for a real tasty wapiti. Great time a the year !

Last edited by montdoug; 09-15-2019 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:40 AM

Doug, I've been following along since your first post and man is that truck sharp!!!!! I may only be 35 years old but I still love those older trucks. With the price of trucks these days you saved yourself 10's of thousands of dollars and she'll last you a long time. Amazing more folks aren't taking the time to fix those old ones up and keep them on the road. All in how much did you save over a new one??? This may seriously be the route I go for my next truck. Great job!!!
Old 09-10-2019, 04:30 AM

Man ain't that purty!?

Good looking rig Doug. Don't you wish we could go in for a
rebuild and come out looking that much better?

Hey, kinda late now, but I have a gas tank just like that laying
out back under covers. Just think how much mud you could
sling with two of those 39 gal drums.

Glad to see the iron works cleaned up and painted too.

Now then, you just have to hang around another 200,000 miles to
wear it out again. Need to get it bloody now.

Did you get it done for the $12,500 you figured? Hope so. Bet this
makes Nancy happy too, won't have you hanging around pouting
so much now. hehe! Get out and enjoy it now. I'm happy for you.

it's about CONTROL!!"