Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 06-25-2015, 04:09 PM

Default CFE223 in .17 Rem

Is anyone using Hodgdon's CFE223 in the .17 remington ?
How was your accuracy?
Hal
Old 06-27-2015, 02:42 AM
Supporting Member

I have a .17 Remington with a .1945" tight neck. The barrel is a 1 in 9 twist, 3-groove stainless steel super match grade Pac-Nor and it has been treated with BLACKNITRIDE™. I was using Chan Nagel's 30 gr. T-000 bullets that I coated with hBN. I tried loads ranging from 23.4 gr. on up to 24.1 gr. of CFE223. My loads were tested over a period of about one year. The distance of my test shots was at 100 yards in temperatures that varied from 35º on up to 85º.

A certain powder charge weight would give me decent accuracy one day and open up the next time I tested it. The velocity seemed to increase as the temperatures went up with the loads I tested. I don't know it CFE223 is supposed to be temperature insensitive or not, but it sure seemed to be sensitive to temperature changes during my testing. I won't be using it in any of my .17 Remingtons, nor will I use it in my .204 Rugers or my .22-250.

Good luck with your attempts to find a good load for your .17 Remington.

NRA Life Member
Old 06-27-2015, 05:06 AM

It could be slightly fast for 30gr bullets in the 17 Remington, Winchester 760 is about right and the CFE is up the chart a little. Larry
Old 06-27-2015, 07:59 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterlg View Post
It could be slightly fast for 30gr bullets in the 17 Remington, Winchester 760 is about right and the CFE is up the chart a little. Larry
I tried it (CFE223)with 20 and 25 gr pills with no success out of a lilja 10 twist bbl. I had basically the same issues mentioned above by silver fox. Seems like it should work, but I didn't find the correct combination.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like its affected by heat to much.

Hal
Old 07-05-2015, 05:04 AM

It would seem worth trying, as its copper fouling mitigation properties would seem ideal for the 17 Rem. If it's a bit temperature sensitive, load to the low end of an accuracy node in cooler weather, to allow for some velocity increase.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:37 AM

'CFE' is marketing masturbation. Copper remover additives (tin and bismuth) have been in many of the ball powders produced by St Marks, and other military powders for DECADES!!!!!!! Nothing new. CFE 223 is a variant of SMP842 held to within 1% between lots instead of 3%.

All powders have some sensitivity to temperatures, and it isn't always the same range of sensitivity across all cartridges. Small cartridges tend to have the highest sensitivities. Ball powders tend to be in the higher sensitivity range. Key is finding the accurate load over many rounds that is not restricted to a very narrow range of velocity or pressure to maintain that level of accuracy.

For varminting, my experience has been you have to load ball powders into the higher pressure ranges, and the right seating depth is just as important as the right node of charge weight for good, abusive to barrels varminting accuracy over hundreds of rounds in varying conditions. That load is almost NEVER the one that put 3 shots in one hole during first tests. But it will put 20 rds into a dime from a cold to hot barrel.

Don't be afraid to try different primers either, they can make a world of difference.