Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-21-2017, 01:05 PM

Ruger 77/22H all weather my first CF Had a bit of trouble at first but not used to CF,s it could have been my fault initially sent it to Riflecraft before i shot it had it bedded for about 1.5" in front of action trigger job threaded for mod 1/2" UNF barrel chased had it back took 6 weeks instead of 10 days promised tried it had to go to gym to pull trigger phoned them up they said "it was ok when it left " that was my involvement with riflecrap finished for good. I persevered i was now over £1,000 into this rifle so it had to work tried all the ammo available found it liked R&P was getting around 3/4" if i did my part took it to a friendly smith to check trigger it would not trip within the range of his pull gauge so altered it to 50ozs to try in the field but could be lowered if i needed to it was fine and still is
then i saw an article for the 17A/H By Potts from Shooting Sports mag and fell in love so ordered a PacNor pre chambered pre threaded SS heavy tube 26" 1-9 twist but another smith let me down (gunsmiths dont like me ) after 3 months i got a 24" light profile tube in 1-10twist the origionel smith had the bits for 15 months and still not started on the job so took it home and tried to get somebody else tho fit it but nobody would fit it cause it was not their barrel
Decided to do it myself made a barrel clamp ( American gunsmith u tube video ) and fitted it myself I can now get 1/2" and better shots can get 3/8" out of it
using R&P BRASS Cci400 primers Viht 120 powder any 20gr HP heads ( dont use V/Max had to many splashes on fox ) i find that 3.650 ft.sec is best for accuracy i anneal after shot and only re-size half the neck shimmed my bolt so no headspace issues thats my story and i can go back to 22Hornet any time whats not to like
Old 10-21-2017, 09:11 PM
Supporting Member

I had a 77/22 hornet that was a horrible shooter, one of the worst I’ve ever seen.

Reading all the negative stuff about them here on this board I decided not to waste time and money on it.

Then some years later it resurfaced from the back of a safe and I decided right then to use it or loose it.

Since I had a CZ 17 rem barrel I called Kevin weaver who said that he would do the job and felt confident that it’d shoot a max of 3/4” 5-Shot groups.

Somehow he convinced me to hold off with shimming the bolt until I got it back and tried shooting it first (I was demanding it be shimmed from all that I read here on this site.

One of the best things I ever done was have it rebarreld and nothing else was done to it. I meant to bed the stock but never did.

Oh and Weaver was off on his calculation, the thing shot right at 5/8” groups consistently (many times 1/2” groups and rarely would go under 1/2”).

I just blamed the poor accuracy of mine to a poor barrel.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:53 PM
Supporting Member

Well I had the thought that if the extractor is the problem that I would just remove it and see if that cured the problem. I did and it did not make any difference. Back to the head scratching. ( I don't give up easy-I have been married to the same wonderful lady for 46 years)
Rider
Old 10-28-2017, 07:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

She must think you're a keeper!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"