Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-04-2012, 01:06 PM

Default Redding type s f/l set up?

Working with 20vt & the brass Adam is making from 223 removed the bushing and set the die down till it chambered with a crush fit put bushing in and sized half the neck. shot those. now can i just neck re-size if so how much do i back the die out?

next ?? my comp. seat er is making a ring on the ogive of the bullet when i seat them you can see it plus i can feel it with thumb nail, how do i polish the sharpness off? seated bullets measure 229 i am using 227 bushing with a carbide sizing button

thanks

kerry
Old 07-04-2012, 03:15 PM

Kerry, sounds like you are set up about like me. I have two more days until the rifle is here before I can start. Have gone through this before so I will share my thoughts and I am sure others will have good suggestions as well.

Try backing your die out about 1/8 of a turn. Size the brass making sure at least .20" of the neck is sized. Chamber the brass and see how the bolt feels. This should leave the case shoulder untouched by the sizer. I like to leave both the bushing and button a little loose to allow some float.

To polish you seater stem, you can use lapping compound (auto parts store) or Flitz metal polish. I like to put it on a piece of wet leather. Lay the leather on a flat surface and turn the stem by hand.

Hope this helps. Happy 4th of July.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:53 AM
Supporting Member

Not sure, but it sounds like your necks might be too tight. Maybe a larger bushing, say .228 ?

Jim
Old 07-05-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim D View Post
Not sure, but it sounds like your necks might be too tight. Maybe a larger bushing, say .228 ?

Jim
could be jim

i polished the seat er stem. i chucked it in cordless drill and polished (on what a guy sent me once) i think he called it cratex??? it is like a eraser with abrasive in it. just put it on the corner and went to town, no more rings

thanks

kerry
Old 07-05-2012, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Default To make sure you've fixed the problem,,,

,,, measure the cartridge base to ojive distance (CBOL). The ring you were putting on the point of the bullet will cause it to alter the CBOL, in most cases ruinning the accuracy.

Please try this and let us all know. I usually fix it by using a larger neck die.

Alex
Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 AM

Are the cases annealed or still as dieformed if brass is too hard it will give seating problems

Wally
Old 07-06-2012, 03:06 PM

I experienced the "ring around the bullet" phenominon with the 20 VT using the Sierra 39 as well. My solution didn't lead to the cause. I changed a "bunch of things" and it went away. For cases formed from Lapua, Federal and LC 11 cases, I turn to 0.013 and use a 0.228 bushing (I also have a 0.229), and I took the Wilson stem to our gunsmith and turned off the edge to better fit the Sierra ogive. I have not yet annealed the necks.

The short-term fix was to dump out all the powder and run the cases over the K&M expander mandrel, re-charge, and proceed. Ugh.

Harold