Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-24-2019, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmatera View Post
I jumped a while back. Started out with a Bmag, liked it so much I added a Franklin Armory F17L, and another FA with a 16” barrel. Great performance and best of all-no reloading.
Tell me more. I have a buddy that would split one I am sure just so we could test drive one. He was looking at the JARD conversions week before last pretty hard.

An AR with a 17WSM upper, maybe I could reach that one shot a minute on a dog town for 10-12 hours. Would need to hire a kid to load extra magazines for me.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:51 PM
Supporting Member

This I can tell you-I personally would avoid Jard. I have had 2 bad experiences with their products, one on an AR trigger, one on a Savage A17 trigger.

The Bmag got a bad rap because the the first skinny barreled ones required a lot of tweaking to shoot well. That all changed when the heavy barreled ones in the laminated thumb hole stocks with a K or later letter in the serial #. I liked mine so much I had it cut and threaded for a suppressor at 20" (with B23's help, thank you!). B23 know a lot about the .17 WSM, maybe he'll chime in.

I had great fear paying $2,400 for the Franklin Armory F17L piston operated AR. I bought the whole gun not just the upper (I did buy another upper only later). Mine has worked well for a couple hundred rounds or so. It is heavy, very accurate, and with a better trigger, will be even more accurate. It is trigger picky. I have another trigger (Hiperfire) I am going to try. Eric Mayer from varminter.com knows a lot about the Franklin Armory's and did a review on it (F17L). Extra mags are pricey ($180) and could run over by a Humvee and be fine. Between myself, B23, Eric Mayer and RFC, you will get all the encouragement you need. I started with the Bmag because after a rebate, I got it for $400. I liked it so much the rest followed. The first 12 times I shot that gun at critters, 12 of them died (groundhogs, skunks and a coyote, shots from 50-125 yds (coyote). Best $400 I spent on a firearm in a long time.
Old 07-24-2019, 05:17 PM

I picked up a GB fluted laminate stock BMag for under $400. I put a Vortex Diamondback 4-12 on it, changed the trigger spring, bedded it, and with still less than 100 rounds through it the best group I have shot is .860. Not great, but good enough for a 300yd Pdog or probably 200yd GS. Other than the stinking bolt handle, it's a joy to shoot with "now" a good trigger. I will eventually get a Glades trigger for it. Hopefully after a few hundred rounds it will tighten up the groups a little, but either way it fits nicely between the .17 HMR and the .17HH.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:56 PM

I cloned mine after some pms back and forth with B23.
I messed around at GB and found a heavy SS in plastic for right at $250 shipped, it was listed wrong ;-).
I then ordered a stock from Boyd’s like B23’s.
It was a very snug fit and I had to clean up some “hairy” spots end mill must have been dull.
The Boyd’s stock shrank the groups of the tupper ware stock a good bit. I finally gave in and bedded it in the goofy barrel rings for a recoil lug.

Anyone have a clue of the reason for the rings?

A friend has one of the early Bmags with lite barrel. First three shots will make you happy. After that it is a crap shoot. I don’t know what he has done to it if anything. I have dibs on the rig if he wants to sell it. I want to tear it down and have a look at the action. My machinist mentor and teacher has an idea for an action sleeve in order to get a shoulder barrel and a real recoil lug along with a barrel nut. A project I can learn a lot from.

I looked at Glades for a trigger, did you mean bolt handle?
Jeff

Last edited by JSH; 07-24-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:26 PM

With regard to the Glades bolt handle, just keep in mind, they're very oversized and long. I put one on my Bmag but in its original size, as it came from Glades, it not only looked goofy, but was, for my liking, way to long and made getting my finger back on the trigger a bit of a PITA so I had my gunsmith shorten it and he also turned it down in diameter on his lathe. For me, it's a much better fit now.

I'm a big fan of the 17 WSM, for a rimfire, I think it's a very capable round and one of my favorite ground squirrel guns.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
As I've said before, I'm always more than happy to help people spend some of their hard earned money. God knows, these forums have cost me plenty over the years.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
With regard to the Glades bolt handle, just keep in mind, they're very oversized and long. I put one on my Bmag but in its original size, as it came from Glades, it not only looked goofy, but was, for my liking, way to long and made getting my finger back on the trigger a bit of a PITA so I had my gunsmith shorten it and he also turned it down in diameter on his lathe. For me, it's a much better fit now.

I'm a big fan of the 17 WSM, for a rimfire, I think it's a very capable round and one of my favorite ground squirrel guns.
Do you have photos of your after bolt handle? I have a lathe if it needs a little tweaking. I find myself wrapping my thumb around my scope and fingers around the bolt to open it at times, which probably is not a good idea. Other than the bolt manipulation, I actually love the feel of the non thumbhole laminate stock and it actually looks decent, " from the left side"
Old 07-25-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I messed around at GB and found a heavy SS in plastic for right at $250 shipped, it was listed wrong ;-).
I then ordered a stock from Boyd’s like B23’s.
It was a very snug fit and I had to clean up some “hairy” spots end mill must have been dull.
The Boyd’s stock shrank the groups of the tupper ware stock a good bit. I finally gave in and bedded it in the goofy barrel rings for a recoil lug.

Anyone have a clue of the reason for the rings?

A friend has one of the early Bmags with lite barrel. First three shots will make you happy. After that it is a crap shoot. I don’t know what he has done to it if anything. I have dibs on the rig if he wants to sell it. I want to tear it down and have a look at the action. My machinist mentor and teacher has an idea for an action sleeve in order to get a shoulder barrel and a real recoil lug along with a barrel nut. A project I can learn a lot from.

I looked at Glades for a trigger, did you mean bolt handle?
Jeff
Yes bolt handle. My brain and fingers were not on the same page. I used a Gardener mcm-36011G .18x.016x.75 spring for the trigger and it takes very little tweaking to get it to fit. I ended up with a very nice trigger using it. As far as the 3 rings go, I have to believe someone thought it looked good, in a way that some sculpture of welded together junk looks good to some. I have no idea why they would abandon the barrel nut/ recoil lug and do what they did, other than an engineer told them it did not need the recoil lug. If they would have made the receiver 3/4" longer and used a nut and lug, it would have been a far more stable platform.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Do you have photos of your after bolt handle? I have a lathe if it needs a little tweaking. I find myself wrapping my thumb around my scope and fingers around the bolt to open it at times, which probably is not a good idea. Other than the bolt manipulation, I actually love the feel of the non thumbhole laminate stock and it actually looks decent, " from the left side"
Post #14 has a picture of my bolt handle after being shortened and turned down.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1153081