Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Supporting Member

That's a shame. You can almost see Canada from Havre, MT
Old 07-01-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Nice gun. Always lots of fun to get a new toy, especially when it shoots great right out of the gate. Should be lots of fun wacking small critters at long ranges. I thought a number of times about getting a 19 but bullets are so hard to come by here in Canada I just stuck to the 17 and 20 caliber options.

Don't give up yet, if the Dems regain control we will have open borders soon anyway. Then, your bullet supply is a "non issue".

Speaking of Bullets.........now, I gotta stock up. I bought 1,000 Sierra Blitzking 32gr from "Hotshot" on this forum. I also sent a check off to Jim @ Calhoon for an order of 1,000 28gr DBHP.

After I have a chance to compare the two projectiles on critters, I'll make my decision as to what I'm going to stock up on. Minimum of 10,000 I'm thinking...........course, now I gotta start saving my pennies. The only trouble "switching" to a new caliber............I have probably 30,000 22 caliber varmint projectiles. Oh well, this .19 is very cool..........I already like it much better than the .17 hornet I had.

Headed out tomorrow to fireform some brass on local squeaks with the 32gr Sierra......report to follow.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:04 PM

Wow! Awesome rifle and cartridge. Good luck and good hunting.
Old 07-01-2019, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DittoHead View Post
Wow! Awesome rifle and cartridge. Good luck and good hunting.

THANKS!!! I've wanted a .19 Hornet for about 5 years now, finally talked myself into it. It will get some heavy use I have a feeling.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
THANKS!!! I've wanted a .19 Hornet for about 5 years now, finally talked myself into it. It will get some heavy use I have a feeling.
Along those lines SW, I have not pursued the dimensions, etc. but how much difference is there between a 20 Calhoon Hornet and say a 20 K Hornet ? Bill K
Old 07-01-2019, 09:05 PM

Your 19 Hornet looks like a fun setup and obviously shoots well!

I've always thought a 20 HH shooting the Hornady 24gr NTX would be a fun little gun and may have to re-barrel one of my CZ 527 17 Hornets into one some day.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:14 PM

Bill,
I'm not sure, but I can say (in my opinion) the .19 calhoon design is hard to beat. Setup the FL sizing die to create an ever so light crush fit, (die is backed out maybe 1/32 from touching shell holder). Lube the inside of the virgin .22 hornet case neck with Graphite Lube............and run it up into the die. DONE. Case is formed and ready to "fireform". Doesn't get much "easier" than that. No trimming, no bull........

B23
Thanks. The case design is pretty spot on. Too bad others didn't run with Calhoons design, it really is ideal to get all you can out of the little hornet case.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Bill,
I'm not sure, but I can say (in my opinion) the .19 calhoon design is hard to beat. Setup the FL sizing die to create an ever so light crush fit, (die is backed out maybe 1/32 from touching shell holder). Lube the inside of the virgin .22 hornet case neck with Graphite Lube............and run it up into the die. DONE. Case is formed and ready to "fireform". Doesn't get much "easier" than that. No trimming, no bull........

B23
Thanks. The case design is pretty spot on. Too bad others didn't run with Calhoons design, it really is ideal to get all you can out of the little hornet case.
Thanks for your answer SW and also B23 for that bit of information.
Question now, is the brass Calhoon having Starline make for him different from the hornet brass and if so in what way ? Can't Calhoon's brass be used in any of the hornets, by just sizing the necks up or down ? Bill K
Old 07-01-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Thanks for your answer SW and also B23 for that bit of information.
Question now, is the brass Calhoon having Starline make for him different from the hornet brass and if so in what way ? Can't Calhoon's brass be used in any of the hornets, by just sizing the necks up or down ? Bill K

Bill, my understanding is that Starline is making the 19 Badger cases for Jim.

I believe he just uses R-P 22 hornet cases for the .19 calhoon hornet cases/loaded ammo he offers.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Bill, my understanding is that Starline is making the 19 Badger cases for Jim.

I believe he just uses R-P 22 hornet cases for the .19 calhoon hornet cases/loaded ammo he offers.
That could be the case, I know I saw someplace that Starline was doing brass for Calhoon, could be just the Badger.. So far my Hornet brass is mostly Hornady, but my dealer says he will get some R-P in time. Maybe I should just buy some hornet brass from Calhoon. Bill K