Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-10-2021, 01:03 PM

Default Fire forming without a projectile.

Hey folks, I have a couple a hundred .17HH cases that had the shoulder bumped back to SAAMI specs. I want to fire form them to my chamber then bump them only a thou or 2 (which is .090 longer than SAAMI.
Consumables are getting hard to come by round here and projectiles have gone up 30%, I’ve never fire formed without a projectile but have read over the years of people using fast burning powders and wads but know nothing about it.
I’d reckon it would take a few firings given it takes up to 3 firings when fire forming fully loaded factory brass.

Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,

Tony

Last edited by Downunder; 09-10-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:21 PM

You can use the old fashioned was, with wax plugs, melt some canning wax in a can lid, about 1/4 inch thick for the hornet, and shoot it. But remember clean the case mouth good after doing it this way.
Or plug the mouth with a wad of tissue and fire it. Could take a couple firings, but it will work.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:23 PM

I am watching what is happening there and praying for you guys. Never in a million years would i have believed what I am seeing. I watched the police actually beat a guy to DEATH for not wearing a mask.
Old 09-10-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
I am watching what is happening there and praying for you guys. Never in a million years would i have believed what I am seeing. I watched the police actually beat a guy to DEATH for not wearing a mask.
So far Biden/Harris have not gone this far in the US, as of now, but look how they sure want to dictate what and how Americans should have too do what they but into place, re: masks, etc. and now even telling/demanding employers follow their demands on how to run companies and control employees.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:30 PM

Lightbulb Downunder........

If I recall correctly....I used between 7 and 9 grains(surely someone else remembers better than I do) of Unique, with a wad of paper towel on top.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

P.S. As for the "other" topic.......I'll say this.....

At the end of the day, or discussion, ALL roads lead back to one thing............................2.2 TRILLION dollars!!!!

(many have NO concept of how much money that is)
Old 09-10-2021, 03:46 PM

[
At the end of the day, or discussion, ALL roads lead back to one thing............................2.2 TRILLION dollars!!!!

(many have NO concept of how much money that is)[/quote]

I saw a figure of something more like 3.8 , Biden's admin is sure doing a fine job of ruining the old Nation.
Old 09-10-2021, 03:55 PM

Some time back, for fireforming my .338-06AI loads w/o a bullet, I used a stiff charge of Unique with a wad of toilet paper stuffed tightly against the powder charge with the eraser end of a pencil to tamp it down.

Worked perfectly, formed the cases to about 95% of fully formed.

I'll not even comment on the other subject.
Old 09-10-2021, 04:42 PM

This is interesting. I have some new Nosler brass that I resized wrong and need to move the shoulder forward. I have some H110 powder I was thinking about using, but have no idea how much I should add.

Anyone know about a starting load for something like this?
Old 09-10-2021, 05:35 PM

Than you, as it happens I picked up a 1lb of a Unique (the last anyone had anywhere) a few months ago for no real reason, uncanny really.

As for Australia decent into a communist police country it’s really happening.
Those labelled as tinfoil hat wearers and conspiracy theorists last year are proven to be genuine profits.
All governments have intentionally divided the country and armed their security forces with weaponry both defensive and offensive whilst disarming the public.
Legislation was passed the other night that allows our spy agencies to not only access people social media and anything digital without a warrant but to add remove or change content. It’s unbelievably sick and demented.
Old 09-10-2021, 05:44 PM

One more comment Re: governments now days. The USA and it's Allies i.e Aus/NZ and so many others fought and won WWII to stop just exactly what the present day governments in all these countries are now doing, with the younger generations, 90 % of which never saw or went through WWII and how it was or what it meant for the world.
So shameful and sad.