Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2011, 11:37 PM

Default 17 ackley hornet

thinking of getting one of these. i've had a 22 k for years, but am wanting one of these little fellas. i've read about as much about it as i can. now the question. i understand that it is thought to be best with the 20-25 grain bullets, but was wondering if anyone had ever tried the 30 grainers. will they stabilize ok in a 1-10 twist ? i have a real armadillo problem, but also have quite a few cattle around, so i am looking for something like the hornet because of the noise. shots are never even 100 yards. like to reduce the ricochet factor even more if possible. we also have a serious stray dog problem at times & would feel better with something a bit bigger than the 20-25 gr ones. not a big deal, but i never see info on anyone shooting the 30 gr in the 17 hornet .
Old 07-28-2011, 12:45 AM

Default 17 hornet

A 17 punches way above its weight class due to velocity, too heavy a bullet and you loose that advantage,especially with such a small case. Frank C.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:49 AM

Default 17 ah

yep - well just looking for something new to play with. got plenty of 22's & 22 mags & a dandy 222, but was wondering if i could do it. find a load that would drive a 30 grainer at around 2600 - 2700 fps with some accuracy, i would feel i had enough for any of the feral dogs , yet not be much louder than a 22 mag & reduce my ricochet factor. just kinda getting goofy with looking for another perfect load to fill a niche. if anyone knows it's impossible i'd rather find out now than spend days & dollars having to tweak something ad infinitum. no biggy.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:21 AM

If you want to shoot 30's I wouldn't consider a 1 in 10". Go with a 1 in 9".
Old 07-28-2011, 02:27 AM
Supporting Member

Default my 9" twist shoots 2 brands of 30 excellently..

30 Golds and 30 Bergers over short cut 4198 shoots great. I doubt the 10" twist would.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOCUST GROVE View Post
thinking of getting one of these. i've had a 22 k for years, but am wanting one of these little fellas. i've read about as much about it as i can. now the question. i understand that it is thought to be best with the 20-25 grain bullets, but was wondering if anyone had ever tried the 30 grainers. will they stabilize ok in a 1-10 twist ? i have a real armadillo problem, but also have quite a few cattle around, so i am looking for something like the hornet because of the noise. shots are never even 100 yards. like to reduce the ricochet factor even more if possible. we also have a serious stray dog problem at times & would feel better with something a bit bigger than the 20-25 gr ones. not a big deal, but i never see info on anyone shooting the 30 gr in the 17 hornet .
Beg or borrow a copy of The Sensational Seventeens by Tod Kindler this gives you all the info you will need about All the seventeens just take his load data with a pinch of salt they might have been ok for his batch of powders but were too much for my gun and he gives NO PRESSURE READINGS but its still an informative book
Wally
Old 07-28-2011, 10:26 AM

Default thanks for the answers fellows

thats what i was looking for. i think i will do the 1:9 & see what happens.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally bennett View Post
Beg or borrow a copy of The Sensational Seventeens by Tod Kindler this gives you all the info you will need about All the seventeens just take his load data with a pinch of salt they might have been ok for his batch of powders but were too much for my gun and he gives NO PRESSURE READINGS but its still an informative book
Wally
I found his loads were very hot in my rifles as well. None the less if gives you a feel for a caliber, good read though.

I have taken a couple of foxes recently with mine (17AH) at around 150 yards with chest shots using 20gr Vmax, they bounce about a bit but by the time you have another one in they have stopped. Had a monster dog fox earlier this week in a magpie trap at 50 yards with a 20gr Berger, head shot, that did quite a good job as well. As well as eating the rabbit bait it had broken into my call birds compartment, got through a 4 inch hole and eaten him. He wont be doing that again anyway,

A

Last edited by Alycidon; 07-31-2011 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alycidon View Post
I found his loads were very hot in my rifles as well. None the less if gives you a feel for a caliber, good read though.

I have taken a couple of foxes recently with mine (17AH) at around 150 yards with chest shots using 20gr Vmax, they bounce about a bit but by the time you have another one in they have stopped. Had a monster dog fox earlier this week in a magpie trap at 50 yards with a 20gr Berger, head shot, that did quite a good job as well. As well as eating the rabbit bait it had broken into my call birds compartment, got through a 4 inch hole and eaten him. He wont be doing that again anyway,

A
It,s all about batches my first lot of 120 was way over his in velocity and pressure but my current lot is very near the mark but i dont have much left and i have loaded but not tested my new batch yet
Wally

Last edited by wally bennett; 07-31-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: forgot name
Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 PM

I found 205s shot fine but when I switched to BR4s using the same powder batch and load I have primers backing out. Should dismantle them really.

A