Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-31-2011, 11:54 AM

Default Forming .219 donaldson wasp cases

Hello, I am getting a .219 Donaldson wasp built for my fathers 50th B'day and I am wondering how to go about forming cases? I can get a 3 die form set, but I was wondering if I couln't run a .30-30 case into say a .25-35 die, then into a trim die to trim excess length and to ream out the necks and then into a FL die.

Or perhaps run a .30-30 case into the first form die to set the shoulder back then use a universal bushing die to gradually run the neck down to .22 cal and again into a trim die and FL die, or am I just better off getting all 3 form dies and the normal dies?

Not really looking to save money on dies but rather save 2 or 3 passes through dies that might not be needed to form up cases, which adds up if I am going to do a batch of 200 or so.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 07-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Board Sponsor

Steve,

I run them in a forming die with bushings first in a 7mm, then a 6mm, then into the form die, trim, turn, FL size and shoot, then anneal.
If you have a forming set that is the way I would go, if not and you do now or ever plan to do forming in the future, I highly suggest it. If not, you may get away with running the 30-30 into the 25-35, then the forming die, trim turn and FL size. Give it a shot and see, the worst that will happen is a handful of crushed cases and a little downtime if you decide to order more forming dies to go in between.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 07-31-2011, 02:31 PM

Default Steve, your father is one lucky guy.

I am having a 219 Wasp built myself and plan to use 225 Winchester brass because it has the same base as a 308. Mine will be on a Savage Model 10 action. Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers, Glenn
Old 07-31-2011, 03:11 PM
Supporting Member

You can also buy formed cases from EA Brown. http://www.eabco.com/store/products/...100-604-0.html
Old 07-31-2011, 11:56 PM

Default D Wasp cases

Steve I'am not much help to you mate but I've made Donaldson wasp cases and I don't own the forming dies only the full legnth sizer and seating die.Problem is I don't remember how I did it, many moons ago.It is doable and I don't recall much loss.Give it a try as you suggested sometimes the seating die with the guts removed will help form the cases.Keep us posted. Frank C.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:19 AM

I was not sure about those preformed cases, apparently they are only good with a certain reamer and dies? I can't see how it would be any different unless one reamer has a larger neck dia than another and the brass is thicker than normal? Might pay just to buy all 3 form dies and just not use any that are not needed?

Steve
Old 08-01-2011, 09:35 PM
Supporting Member

Steve. Try this using a 25-35 case and see how see how close you get, it should work ok & 25-35 cases are easily obtained here. pm spinna on AHN he will have a few spares, tell I suggested you contact him

1. remove seater sem and run you case
2. remover sizer and run your case
3. siser put back and run your case

Yow wil have to trim of course and make sure you use something like imperial sizing wax. Somethelse that may work is locating som 22 h.p cases over here, plenty kicking around.

Johno