Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-11-2011, 12:54 AM

Default Lead sled

Guys whats your opinion of the Caldwell lead sled for working up loads.For our chosen rifles the recoil reduction is not needed.But it would sure help working up 12ga slug loads.I'am thinking it would aid accurate load development and steady old hands. Frank C.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:41 PM

Hi Frank,

I have not used such a device. I am not too sure I would ever buy one, mainly because the slush fund is always being appropriated. Guess I have always had the fear of cracking the wrist of the stock. Perhaps the risk would be in how the rifle was held and the rest's ability to give some during recoil.

I reworked a pre64 model 70 this past winter into a 300H&H. I shot it in winter clothes and did not seem bad with the steel buttplate. I drug it out again this summer shooting it with lighter clothing, and came home black and blue on the shoulder. I have friends that shoot the boomers, cheytacs, big Lapuas, they all seem to like the Past recoil item FWIW.

The old way is to put something between you and the shoulder on the biggies.
Your comment on the 99 in the Wasp has me thinking on a 88 that is sitting here now...... :-) ........that was a neat idea, kinda reminds me a little of the H.P.

Rick
Old 08-12-2011, 11:51 AM

Default Hard kickers

Good to hear from you Rick,usally with the hard kickers I just fold up a handtowel.The lead sled would be used more for steady than recoil reduction.Did quite a bit of gunsmithing in the past, mostly rebarreling and chambering to the old cartridges.I'am surprised theirs not more "gun nuts" doing their own work common sence and a rock solid understanding of headspace is needed.What we lack in machinery we make up for with time to spend on the project,do many cuts with a file.My old lathe was a Whitcome/blaisdall made in Worchester Ma. and it probibly fought boath great wars.My current lathe is a Hendy 15x36 with taper attachment.Also working on getting a verticle milling machine.The milling machine I have now is a massive horizontal miller with a verticle head I mounted,power feed all ways.I'am very fond of the Savage 99 action its beauty in its simplicity,and stronger than most think.Retired heavy truck mechanic,now I'am a sawyer,and too busy, big job cutting out oak timbers for a post and beam barn.Take care Frank C.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to maxscm
Default Sled

The sleds work very well for the heavy kickers.
pm sent on one for sale.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:02 PM

I bought a lead sled to shoot my Remington 1100 slug gun. The Redfield Tradition 4X scope with post had been on the gun for years. I had the sled loaded with two shot bags of plan sand. On the very first shot my vintage scope elevation cross hair broke. I can't say for sure if it was the lead sled or just the scopes time, but it happened. The sled does tame the recoil.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:02 AM

Default Sleding

Just completed assembly of the new dual rail model lead sled haven't tried it yet. Its a real piece of machinery well made.I got it more for steady than recoil reduction.I'll probibly not add any weight to it its hefty as it is.I cast the Lyman 12ga slugs and don't enjoy fireing from the bench with my short barreled 870 hopefully the sled will make a gelding out of it. Frank C.