Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-24-2019, 02:28 PM

I will have to call them again and get someone who is in the know.

I was planning on ordering a model 38 Montana Varminter in 17 HH (edit: two of them, my wife wants one too)

Would it be possible for them to make the model 21 with the appropriate bolt face for hornet and bee cartridges? Maybe they are looking to do that to scale back.

John.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:30 PM

[quote=JohnJ65;279248]I will have to call them again and get someone who is in the know.

If you don't mind, when you talk too them ask if they are selling out or stopping all production as some mentioned hearing around the Shot Show. Will be interesting to hear what they have to say directly. Bill K

Last edited by Bill K; 02-24-2019 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 02:51 PM

[quote=Bill K;279249]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnJ65 View Post
I will have to call them again and get someone who is in the know.

If you don't mind, when you talk too them ask if they are selling out or stopping all production as some mentioned hearing around the Shot Show. Will be interesting to hear what they have to say directly. Bill K
They are not stopping all production. That's about as ridiculous a rumor as a guy could spread. Hugo's kid runs the place now, and there has been a bit of an employee turnover issue in the last while.

The demand is in long range stainless/composite rifles, and that's the direction they took. It sucks, buts it's just like Berger discontinuing the niche Bullets. Money is #1.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:11 PM

[quote=qwk;279252][quote=Bill K;279249]
They are not stopping all production. That's about as ridiculous a rumor as a guy could spread.

Great to hear that and glad you gave us that info, straight from the horse's mouth or at least from the kids/owners. Bill K
Old 02-24-2019, 03:52 PM

After reading all this, I'll be hanging on to my two M38's, a VR in 20VT, and a Phoenix in 221FB. Both are tack drivers, both will continue to live with me until my expiration date.

Dang! Yet another iconic item going extinct, all in the name of "progress".
Old 02-24-2019, 04:07 PM

Rick:
From what qwk stated the owners told him regarding their future heading into the long range craze with the Cooper line. You and all of Cooper owners of the past rifle models better hold onto them, they will really become a collectors item and prices will just climb on any of them. If and when any would want to sell. Bill K
Old 02-25-2019, 08:58 PM

I may be guilty of being the first to learn of the demise of the M38. I called Cooper right after New Years, since I had been Jonesing for one in .22 Hornet. Uncharacteristically, I was actually willing to order and pay for a new rifle from the Mother Ship (I almost always lurk around the usual suspect auction sites and buy used), but I was told Cooper had discontinued that model...that's about the way it goes for me. I asked about inventory of actions and/or barreled actions and was shot down there too: "They are made to order, and no inventory exists." A little birdie told me Canyon Creek bought out the remaining inventory of barreled actions, but I have not tried to confirm that.

I did find and buy a very early -- serial #52 -- .22 CCM from the purported original owner, which included the infamous test target, all the original paperwork, warranty cards, Cooper-published loading data, brand new, unopened loading dies, and 1000+ pieces of virgin brass. I gotta say, the build quality, wood figure, and checkering execution exceed anything I've seen from Cooper in the past 10-15 years:

I managed to get 25 rounds loaded up, using Lil' Gun and 40gr BTs, and am ready to go to the range.

TBR
Old 02-26-2019, 01:43 AM
Supporting Member

Good score, and mighty fine looking rifle.

Tom
Old 02-26-2019, 05:03 AM

While I will not sell my existing Coopers, news of them wanting to go Tacit(un)cool, really puts a damper on e buying any other Coopers. I am certain that I would not want to buy, let's say, a Montana Varminter in the 21 action instead of the model 38 I would have bought.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:13 AM

Default Very sad news for sure...

Cooper would not answer phone yesterday afternoon so I texted them.
I asked about a new model to replace the 38 and or something for the 17WSM
no plans to replace the 38 with anything new and they said they are considering a 17WSM,but not a priority right now.This is sad news to me as the small calibers are what got Cooper going,to sell big long range boomers may make them money.....but.
Thankful I have the HeBee,should have got a 17AH when they were more readily available,typical of my luck.The key is to be happy with what you have and not beat yourself up over what could have been.
Matt