Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-27-2019, 04:45 PM

Back in 1880's, at the Sandy Hook tests, the issue .45/70 load with 500gr. bullet
had a maximum range of just over 3,500 yards.
Modern stuff, goes even further.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:31 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Had a late friend that shouldn't have had a gun at all.

Came up with an SKS, during a party he fired it into the ceiling
of his two story house. Wasn't long til screams were heard and
water running thru the bullet hole.

His wife was sitting in the bathtub and the bullet went between her
legs about half way from the knees to crotch.
Mighty damned lucky!

Don't know abut her, he died last year.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-28-2019, 07:14 AM

Wasn’t there an Hamish girl killed when one of her own unloaded his muzzle loader when he’d finished hunting. Discharged into air and travelled over a mile before the ball/ bullet lost interest in flying and hit the recipient.
Ken.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:41 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
Wasn’t there an Hamish girl killed when one of her own unloaded his muzzle loader when he’d finished hunting. Discharged into air and travelled over a mile before the ball/ bullet lost interest in flying and hit the recipient.
Ken.

I'm not sure if she had fat highs or not (Hamish) but I'm pretty sure that she was Amish...........

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 02-28-2019, 09:07 PM

I did a little experimenting on the computer quite a few years ago. It showed that if I fired my .17 Ackley Hornet at a target 17 feet higher than my rifle at 100 yards and missed, the bullet would impact the ground 1,000 yards away with a velocity of 300 fps. This was on flat ground with a 15-grain Berger hollow point bullet at a muzzle velocity of 3,950 fps assuming the bullet does not tumble which would decrease the range of impact and probably also the impact velocity. A heavier bullet in the .17 Hornet would have a greater impact velocity. Any other centerfire or rimfire cartriidge would be more dangerous as increased bullet weight is makes impact worse. Increased velocity does not have so much effect. Basically, a 15-grain bullet out of a .17 Hornet would be a safer gun for shooting at squirrels or other aerial targets than anything else which uses a powder and in my opinion one would want to shoot at considerably higher angles than 17 feet per 100 yards. After those computer simulations I would not consider shooting a .22 Long Rifle at any aerial target. I am not sure about a .22 Short with its lighter bullet. Any above-the-horizon shot at deer would absolutly be asking for trouble as a miss with a bullet heavy enough for deer could be fatal if it hit a human in the right spot. I don't hunt waterfowl and haven't weighed shot used for geese but in the past I heard of hunters using #4 buckshot for geese and would guess that to be much more dangerous than lauching a 15-grain .17 caliber bullet into the air at a steep angle. I think the best solution for squirrel hunting is to shoot only high angle shots and use a .177 or .22 caliber air rifle and if using a .22 caliber air rifle be sure not to use some of the very heavy pellets now available. Also, in the distant past .25 Stevens rifles were considered good guns for squirrels. I think they would have been an accident waiting to happen with their heavy bullets.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:49 AM

Seems to me , my .14 bore English Sporting rifle has a maximum range of between 800 and 900yards, when driven with 165gr. 2F and aimed at 35 degrees.
Might have been 30 degrees
Old 03-01-2019, 05:34 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

I've decided anytime a "high angled shot is made, it shouldn't be
fired unless there's fairly close background that will absolutely stop it
whether missed or full pentration.

Like squirrels and birds etc: make sure there's tree branches enough
to catch it without a doubt.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 03-01-2019, 07:53 PM

Can't remember the last time I took a shot at a tree-ward angle without a backstop behind it - with a rifle that is.
Old 03-01-2019, 09:19 PM

Several years ago my wife was returning from Olympia, WA and head for our home that is about 5 miles SE of a little town called Shelton.

As she left Highway 101 on to SR3 something hit her right lower corner of her windshield. Scared her pretty bad with the big bang that it made . It got worse when she got the car stopped and found a .45 ACP Ball bullet stuck between the chrome frame and the glass that was once her windshield. Someone had shot into the air and the bullet found her.

WSP said that it happens more than most people know but they don't usually get the bullet to look at. The Office said that it was most likely shot less than a mile from where she was hit by the angle that the impact was made.

No one was hurt but it would have had enough force to wound someone if they had been hit.

Lowell

Quote by THOMAS JEFFERSON
Old 03-02-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Patrol View Post
This happened local to me. There's a lot of smelly fish in this whole unfortunate accident. Word is as soon as the person that cleared his muzzleloader came forward, all investigations came to a halt. Local LE isn't talking about it at all.

I remember reading in Col Julian S. Hatcher's Hatcher's Notebook the Army set up a test firing 30.06 bullets straight up in hopes of finding one and estimating the damage that just lobbing bullets at the enemy would do to them. IIRC, one did fall rear end first and landed in a tin bucket containing some water. It left a small dent in the bottom. I believe the consensus was that a flesh would might occur if a soldier was hit on the top of the shoulder.