Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-16-2019, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Are you into weather still, like me down here ? One day half way decent then like this morning back to snow and overcast. GRRRR. Bill K

Sun is shining now, but raining earlier today. It's been a WET fickle spring. I've literally only had a chance to go out maybe 3 times when it hasn't been raining/snowing since March.

I did wack some squeaks recently one afternoon with my 1885 Hornet. I'll ad a few pics when I get a chance.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
Sun is shining now, but raining earlier today. It's been a WET fickle spring. I've literally only had a chance to go out maybe 3 times when it hasn't been raining/snowing since March.

I did wack some squeaks recently one afternoon with my 1885 Hornet. I'll ad a few pics when I get a chance.
About like me. I did sneak out, in between a couple storms and did get some squeaks and even 7 rock chucks the other morning. But then this storm moved back in and we lost the sun and warmth. Maybe next week, they say this weekend may be decent, so we will see if maybe another trip comes up.
Hope you get out also and shortly all of us will have the good weather and things will really pick up. Bill K
Old 04-17-2019, 01:30 AM
Supporting Member

I see a shadow and very short Alfalfa, both signs of good "Skippy-flight-school" conditions. Glad you got some Eastern Oregon Raptor Feeding Society time in between bad weather Rick.

Keep giving flight lessons, what I observed last spring was impressive, and fun

Can't wait for the 20 VT report.

Allen
Old 04-17-2019, 04:17 PM

Rick- that's a hell of a combination you've got there! Nice- and a great shooter, too.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:54 PM

Thanks guys, it was fun as usual, and the little Low Wall just added to the experience.

Doug: When this weather breaks and you finally get out with your 1885, be sure to take your camera! Yours needs to be bloodied!

Austin: See what you started? (Oh, maybe that was me?) I'm betting you're already out with yours now, as the rain seems to be tapering down in the PNW. Pics man, pics!

Daryl: Yep, the little rifle shoots much better than she should, can't explain it, but I'm not taking it for granted. She's a sweet little companion for morning walkabouts. Thanks.

Allen: Yep, almost perfect conditions once the dang rain stopped. It rained all night the first day, but gave us a break in the morning.....thank you. Flight lessons were conducted each day with many rats attaining previously unknown heights.... We missed you on this trip. The 20VT Rat Report is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwk View Post
Rick, what portable bench setup is that?
The benches are the BR Pivot Lite. Formally made by me and sold from 1997 to 2007 when I sold my patent and mfg'g rights to MidwayUSA. An imported version is now sold under the Caldwell name, and a cheapened up version is available as the 'Stable Table'.

Last edited by Rick in Oregon; 04-17-2019 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Thanks guys, it was fun as usual, and the little Low Wall just added to the experience.

Doug: When this weather breaks and you finally get out with your 1885, be sure to take your camera! Yours needs to be bloodied!

Austin: See what you started? (Oh, maybe that was me?) I'm betting you're already out with yours now, as the rain seems to be tapering down in the PNW. Pics man, pics!

Daryl: Yep, the little rifle shoots much better than she should, can't explain it, but I'm not taking it for granted. She's a sweet little companion for morning walkabouts. Thanks.

Allen: Yep, almost perfect conditions once the dang rain stopped. It rained all night the first day, but gave us a break in the morning.....thank you. Flight lessons were conducted each day with many rats attaining previously unknown heights.... We missed you on this trip. The 20VT Rat Report is up.

The benches are the BR Pivot Lite. Formally made by me and sold from 1997 to 2007 when I sold my patent and mfg'g rights to MidwayUSA. An imported version is now sold under the Caldwell name, and a cheapened up version is available as the 'Stable Table'.

Rick.........next week the squeaks better "look out", I may have time to run out tomorrow afternoon as well.

(For the record.........you definitely "Started It")

208 Yds lasered, 1885 Browning 22 Hornet, 3100 FPS muzzle, 13.5gr Lil Gun, R-P cases, Rem 7.5 Primers pushing a 40gr Nosler Varm Tipped.........man, those bullets are explosive, accurate, cheap and my FAVORITE small 22 caliber bullet.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:22 AM

Really nice looking k Hornet. Can't wait to get out and shoot some p-dogs. Too many choices. New for this year are a Sako in 6br, Lo-wall in 17M2 (thanks to Doug) and a 22 with a silencer. Almost guaranteed to make the trip are the 20VT, 220 Swifts unless I go with 22-250s, either a 204 or 17Rem and one or two others. Can't wait. Still 3 to 4 weeks out to get the pups out. Need to load a few hundred of the 6br and scope up the 17M2. Still haven't figured out what scope to use.

BTW, weather looks way too nice in Oregon.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:56 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick in Oregon View Post
Not too long ago, we had three FEET of snow here, to be closely followed by seemingly endless days of clouds then rain. So most about these parts have been whining to get out for springtime squirrels. Well, the weather sort of broke (meaning it'll only rain half the day), so we headed out to the ranch in eastern Orygun for a few days of fun with our favorite rodent, Skippy the Flying Squirrel.

Normally HB rifles off the bench is the rule, but this time I wanted to give my Browning 1885 Low Wall in K-Hornet some field time. I usually use it for local walkabout rock chucks when the range will be under 200 yards, but it did quite well thank you, on squirrels out just past 225 yards.

I was using the 30gr Varmint Grenade over 1680 for 3,350 fps. Terminal effects on the rats was "vivid" to say the least (grin).

The trigger has been tweaked by my trusty local smith, and with my usual load/bullet, this little rifle shoots under 1/4".....much better than it should, but it does.

I know Doug here has killer wood on his 1885, so I thought I'd toss in this pic of mine. Nothing exceptional, but nice for a factory offering.

On this trip, after some quality time with my little Hornet, it made me realize why these small calibers are again so popular. They're just plain FUN! No recoil, see virtually all your hits, cheaper to shoot (handloads) than the zippy rimfires, and IMHO, more accurate.

My primary rat rifle on this trip was my Cooper M38 in 20VT; my all-time favorite rat rifle caliber. But that's another story.... Now if we could get a few days of sunshine, it'll be off for morning walkabouts for rock chucks toting "Scooter", my 20VT. I LOVE springtime!
That’s awesome!!! Thanks for sharing. Just recently my son and I did a father son deal with a guy who was thinning his herd. We got a pair of Browning’s, a 53 32-20 #5 grade (my son) and a 65 #1 grade in a 218 bee. Both came with a generous amount of brass ammo and dies (not sure what I’ll do with another set of 218 bee dies but it’s always good to be prepared for the unexpected lol)

So like if that wasn’t good enough, I couldn’t sleep until I found a 25-20 to shoot. They'll probably remain factory since they are not a falling black design, but talk about nice petite little rifles... yes it’s given me a renewed interest in yet another money pit! Lol I’ll tell my wife it was your fault
Old 04-19-2019, 05:58 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLWenzl View Post
I’ll tell my wife it was your fault
Rick has cost us money with his suggestions and love of all "SKIPPY KILL STICKS" and flight lesson tools.

But it's all good, and he does know his schtuff.... , is a heck of a guy, and a true killin machine in "the rat patch". Most all of the "bangs" I've heard first hand were followed by a thwap, and flight lessons.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:17 PM

Angry

I'm not sure why, but all my friends wives try to limit their exposure to me, saying I'm too expensive to hang out with.

I get blamed every time a friend buys a new rifle or pistol. It's not my fault, honest! This is just a highly addictive activity, once tasted can become an obsession (as some of us already know....lol)

We get rifles and go on trips with them, and the girls get girl-goodies and have us take them places we'd rather not be.....but it seems to always work out....mostly.

But, back to petite, sweet little single shot falling block rifles....for us into Geezerhood (thanks Doug), these little rifles in small calibers seem to beckon to be carried afield and loved, which is not hard to do when you look at them.

Here's the flip-side just for fun:

Thanks for the words of encouragement, guys (like I need any further encouragement).