Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-19-2019, 12:08 PM

Default 17 Remington gauges

Anyone have go/no go for 17 Remington? My barrel is supposed to be done shortly.
Jeff
Old 04-20-2019, 01:00 AM

Since no body seems to have any I will offer this free advice, take it for what it cost. If you are going to reload for the rifle, and I can't imagine that you won't, just make up your own. If you can get a piece of fired brass just size it in your dies and seat a spent primer in it. Fill the case with epoxy and let it set up. Set the headspace on it with a little feel of crush, or barely any. Put two thicknesses of scotch tape on the case head and try to close the bolt, if it closes you have too much headspace. You will end up with a much better setup rifle for your loads than by using a SAAMI gauge set. Larry
Old 04-20-2019, 01:51 AM

Yes, Larry's method works. That's now my 17 rem was headspaced, the reamer was made from my sized brass dimensions. The brass will get hot while the epoxy sets.
Old 04-20-2019, 02:38 AM

haha.. Forgot about how hot it gets when it sets up. You don't really need to epoxy it, but it can save you from crushing your headspace standard if you get a little more pressure on the bolt than you need. If you need a couple of pieces of fired brass I can probably find one or two for you and could be even my epoxy filled one some place. Larry
Old 04-20-2019, 04:17 AM

That’s how I have done some in the past. I picked up some brass shim stock and used that the last one I did, 17 Fireball.
The thin brass shim stock will crush. So each time you open and close the bolt completely, I would say or suggest you should toss or at least measure your shim.

One does not have to but I would also suggest a bare naked bolt. No firing pin spring, ejector and extractor out. Improves the “feel” drastically.

Got an email from James at Northland Shooter Supply, barrel is supposed to be here Tuesday!! Yahoo give me a few weeks to work a load before I hit the first dog town of the year.

Jeff