Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2011, 10:17 AM

Default barrels good or bad

Lots of comment latly about good and bad barrel makers but its not the company its the man making the barrel and the person that is checking his/her work not the firm paying him thats at fault and even the best barrel man of all sometimes cocks up and if he is the best man who has the guts to check his work and tell him its wrong.
Please note that i have come across this other engineerig not in gun making but its still relevant.
With the posts on this site a good combination can be made with any barrel on any action in any calibre even Ruger||||
Another question
Is it possable to shoot out a Hornet barrel that is well looked after cleaned often with a bore guide and loads within its design envelope.
Its just a thought.
Wally
Old 08-15-2011, 07:02 PM

You always pay for what you get. Sometimes you get what you pay for. However companies like Pac-Nor, Krieger, Shilen etc. have built up a reputation for producing quality barrels. No doubt occasionally a rogue gets through quality control, but the bottom line is that they have a QC process to minimise this. If they consistently put out duff barrels they wouldn't last long.

Companies can suffer a reputation knock which can ultimately be their undoing. I suspect Remington are in a long term decline given some of the horrors I have seen let out of their factory. Reputations take a long time to build but are easily destroyed, that's why a small company like Pac-Nor spend alot of time checking their product. They understand how easily a reputation for quality can be lost.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:24 PM

so no matter the grade of metal it all rest on the guy sitting at the bench doing the work. how about methods dictated by the company? cut rifling, button or hammer forge? how about the design? sometimes no matter how good you are it just doesn't matter. how does it go? oh yeah, you can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:29 PM

When Pac-Nor first came to my attention, it was commonly thought they were a re-seller of over runs and seconds. Hence the name: PAC-NOR Barreling, they did barrel work but did not make the whole thing. Blanks came from places like BullDogBarrel etc. Most other makes have lots of pictures of their machine shops and equipment, but not a single one on the pacnor sight that I can find. Does anyone know positively (as in seeing their production area) that they really make all the barrels they sell? Larry
Old 08-15-2011, 11:57 PM

I'm stupid. How does Pac-nor equate into seconds and over runs?
Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 AM

Pac-Nor may not have a bunch of pictures but, they clearly state that they DO make barrels. They are a custom barrel manufacturing facility, plain and simple, that's what they do. Of course, they also offer numerous custom services as well.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:07 AM

When they first started selling barrels it was generally thought they simply bought over runs and seconds from major makes and sold them under the pac-nor name, that is why they were called a barreling company. I don't really know, do you? Larry
Old 08-16-2011, 12:53 AM

Default Shot out hornet

Wally I'ts probibly possible to shoot out a well cared for hornet barrel but it would take a hellacous amount of ammo to do it.I would suspect a copper or carbon build up in the bore. Frank C.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterlg View Post
Most other makes have lots of pictures of their machine shops and equipment, but not a single one on the pacnor sight that I can find. Does anyone know positively (as in seeing their production area) that they really make all the barrels they sell? Larry
This, maybe?
http://www.pac-nor.com/services/

Or this, cleverly hidden on the left side of every page and titled "Barrels We Make."
http://www.pac-nor.com/barrels/

Old 08-16-2011, 05:47 AM
Supporting Member

I did a group buy of 22 barrels from pac nor, one barrel was not as requested. You guessed it, my one I contacted Penny and then onto Casey, Barrel was replaced and I was told to keep the first one. I cannot recomend this company high enough, they are great to deal with. Please remember i'm in Australia, so there is a bit more involved in a buy. The progress reports were great, just an excellant company with very high standards.

Having said all that I just checked green mountains web site, they offer great deals on fluted, stainless 17 & 22 barrels for the ruger, if this 22 mag I just bought does'nt shoot I will be getting one of there barrels to try, I assume they are finished, IE chambered and crowned, great price.

Johno