Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 08-04-2015, 11:54 PM

Have hunted Africa three times, never for the big five but have hunted with several PHs that do lion hunting. This sounds more like it.

For everyone that is/was "concerned" about the lion situation that has been blown out of proportion by social media. Read up. This is an email that my parents sent me. (They are in Africa right now).

Many of you have read or heard the news of the collared lion that has been shot here in Africa. Greg and I are in Zimbabwe, hunting with clients, at the camp of the very man that is being accused of "slaughtering a protected lion".
I would just like to clarify a few facts. Firstly, yes, the lion was collared but that does not mean protected the hunting concession we are on borders the park-- no fences, no gates, no wires. These animals are free to roam and cross into the areas surrounding the park at will. It is a given that when any animal is out of the designated boundaries of the park and in a hunting concession, it is fair game. Collared animals are shot by hunters once in a while and the law states that nothing has been done illegally, just that the collar is to be returned to the National Parks office.
Secondly, this lion was not lured out of the park by guts being dragged or calls being made. There was an elephant carcass, that died of natural causes, 2 1/2 km out of the parks boundary. The Professional Hunter (PH) and his hunter had seen a lion on the carcass so set up a blind to hunt that evening. The collared lion was the one that came in. No one realized the animal was collared until after it was harvested. The collar was returned to Parks, as is the procedure. It is unfortunate that this lion is a frequently photographed one in the parks as I believe that is why it has made national news. That, and the fact that it has a name..... Cecil.
Theo Bronkhorst has been threatened and dragged over the coals on this one. His family is being harassed and the Facebook comments have been horrendous. One in particular. "let me guess...this fed a village".
Here's where I'd like to explain something. Feeding the village is a phrase that is always taken in the literal sense. Yes, the meat of any animal is shared with the people but it's more than that. Here's how it works.
Every hunting concession has a native game scout appointed. This scout must accompany the PH and his hunters to be sure that nothing is shot that is not on quota.....quota meaning that only so many of one species can be taken during the year. This is recorded very officially in a ledger. Every animal has a trophy fee. This is divided up to the outfitter, the village and the government. The village gets their share of the meat. Now this is where Theo makes a difference. With the money, he has helped the people dig wells, pipe water and supplied tanks to their houses so they don't have to walk long distances to carry it. They have larger gardens now because of it, not to mention running water. He has built schools. He's helped put in solar panels so they have power. I have seen satellite dishes on some homes so I know they have tv. It is all this that is included in the phrase ' feed the village'.
I believe so many people do not understand hunting. They only see killing. Without hunting there is no conservation. Theo and his family are conservationists. They are not poachers. Everything done in the taking of this lion was done with professionalism. The hunter was legally licensed, the outfitter/PH, Theo, was licensed to legally hunt in that area.
It is disgusting to me how there is so much to-do about this one lion but nothing is said about the man who was killed just 2 nights ago by an elephant in the village of the scout who rides in the truck with us everyday. A human life was taken and it is not mentioned. We should be more concerned about Masugo and his family than Cecil. It is unfair that no one feels sorry for Masugo....nor for the hunter and PH that have been falsely accused of a crime they did not commit.
Please share this with as many people as you can so the real story also gets revealed. It surprises us that organizations like Dallas Club and Safari Club International (SCI), who's slogan is 'first for hunters', have not become involved to investigate and stand behind a fellow hunter. Let us all, as hunters, stand together.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:14 PM
Supporting Member

This is a good read, usually is more to a story then the left wing liberal news puts out.

Tom
Old 08-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Administrator

We have a local columnist (and GOOD friend of mine) who does a weekly Fins, Furs and Feathers column in the paper. I was totally floored when I read his article this week...he wanted to string the guy up over this lion killing. Thanks for posting this email. I forwarded it to him, along with some of my additional thoughts. People are not getting BOTH sides of the story here, he was obviously one of them.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Supporting Member

When they come to take crossbows. Why should I stand up.

When they come to take longbows. Why should I stand up.

When they come to take shot-guns. Why should I stand up.

When they tell me what if any guns I can have

and how much and what kind of ammo I can have.

Maybe that won't be so bad, since I brought it on myself. Kenny

I pride myself in being able to make decisions with little information.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:48 PM

Default Isn't that funny

The media just went on this for a week ranting and never mentioned it before it was a bow and arrow. One Lion? They keep their mouth shut like a steel trap over a million baby killings a year?
Old 08-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Administrator

From a news article today in Bloomberg...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-to-become-kin

“I think he has now come to terms with the fact that Cecil is no longer coming back,” said Stapelkamp in an interview on Thursday from Hwange. “During the first days, at night he used to make these strong deep contact calls trying to reach out to Cecil.”

Zimbabwe has requested the extradition of Walter Palmer, an American dentist who shot Cecil with a bow-and-arrow. Palmer has said he believed the hunt was legal. The 13-year-old lion was allegedly lured out of Hwange. The global positioning system, or GPS, tag worn by Cecil hasn’t been found, said Stapelkamp.

“Jericho is now the new king of the area which used to be controlled by Cecil,” Stapelkamp said. He raised a monitoring device in the air which emitted a faint beep, signaling that Jericho had probably traveled outside Hwange’s protected boundaries.

There are limits to safeguarding the animals over wide areas, Edson Chidziya, an official with the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Authority, said in an interview on Tuesday.

“The fact that the animal is collared does not mean the animal can’t be hunted, it just shows through research how the animal moves from one place to the other,” said Chidziya.

The southern African country has an estimated lion population of 2,000 roaming its national parks and private reserves. The government issues hunting quotas for as many as 70 lions every year.

so...if a collared lion is fair game, what did the guy do wrong?
Old 08-07-2015, 04:53 PM

Hog Patrol,
I've mailed a copy of your post to a column writer at the National newspaper I sometimes read. Be interesting if he comments on it.
Ken.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:03 PM

I havent lost a second of sleep over concern for anything to do with Cecil, any dentist other than my own, or anything the media serves up as "crisis du jour".

Good shot dentist , via con Dios , Cecil... wish you were taxidermy in my house.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterner View Post
From a news article today in Bloomberg...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-to-become-kin

“I think he has now come to terms with the fact that Cecil is no longer coming back,” said Stapelkamp in an interview on Thursday from Hwange. “During the first days, at night he used to make these strong deep contact calls trying to reach out to Cecil.”

Zimbabwe has requested the extradition of Walter Palmer, an American dentist who shot Cecil with a bow-and-arrow. Palmer has said he believed the hunt was legal. The 13-year-old lion was allegedly lured out of Hwange. The global positioning system, or GPS, tag worn by Cecil hasn’t been found, said Stapelkamp.

“Jericho is now the new king of the area which used to be controlled by Cecil,” Stapelkamp said. He raised a monitoring device in the air which emitted a faint beep, signaling that Jericho had probably traveled outside Hwange’s protected boundaries.

There are limits to safeguarding the animals over wide areas, Edson Chidziya, an official with the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Authority, said in an interview on Tuesday.

“The fact that the animal is collared does not mean the animal can’t be hunted, it just shows through research how the animal moves from one place to the other,” said Chidziya.

The southern African country has an estimated lion population of 2,000 roaming its national parks and private reserves. The government issues hunting quotas for as many as 70 lions every year.

so...if a collared lion is fair game, what did the guy do wrong?
He created a diversion to get Planned Parenthood out of the news for the drive by media.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to x32030
Default Cecil the lion.

MAN! I don't care!!!