Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Other Forums and Resources > Classifieds

Old 03-11-2019, 06:40 PM

Default wanted winchester model 70

WANT TO BUY-----Looking for a Winchester model 70 that was manufactured in the 1990 s. It will have a blued receiver, stainless steel barrel, 26 inch, fluted, or unfluted wilson barrel, and a black HS precision stock, It will weigh 8-81/2 pounds and I am looking for it in winchester 243 caliber. Must have been shot but very little and be in 98++ condition. PM me here or call or text 310 217 8649--thanks kurt
Old 03-11-2019, 08:40 PM

They are hard to find because most shooters keep them.

They were called a Model 70 HBSS - Heavy Barrel Stainless Steel. They were push feed, and were first made in 1993 or 1994. The fluted barrel versions were market as 'Sharpshooter' models also, and might have been a custom shop model. They do shoot quite well, and were chambered in 223, 22-250, 243 and 308. They might have been chambered in 220 Swift for a year or two also. The 223 I bought new in 1994 is my go to do PD rifle. It is 1:9 twist and will shoot <0.4MOA with 40gr to 69gr bullets. Around 2007, I found one used in .243 Win. It shoots better than my other .243, which is a Commercial M98 Mauser with a Douglas barrel. I hope you find one for sale, mine are keepers for sure.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:02 PM
Supporting Member

Yes they made it in 220 Swift, in fact that was the very rifle that blew. I suggest you check any of those guns, they put ( at least 2 ) a control feed barrel (cone breech) on a push feed actions. When the Swift blew I check a 223 Coyote , bought at the same time, sure enough it had a control feed barrel too.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:51 AM

i had a line on one but the seller backed out at last minute even tho he's has never fired it. Oh well the search continues. I have a couple sako varmints in 243 hard to believe that winchester could shoot better but i still want one and compare. I have one in a 223 and a 22-250.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:47 AM

They are called Heavy Varmint. I am fortunate to own several. The barrels were Wilson Match. The first ones sold for around $550.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Yes they made it in 220 Swift, in fact that was the very rifle that blew. I suggest you check any of those guns, they put ( at least 2 ) a control feed barrel (cone breech) on a push feed actions. When the Swift blew I check a 223 Coyote , bought at the same time, sure enough it had a control feed barrel too.
Ray , could you go into a little more detail about what exactly "blew" and what to look for to Check these out . Don't want to step on Webfoots Want Ad , so maybe reply in General Discussion Section.

Last edited by xring; 03-14-2019 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:57 AM
Supporting Member

There was once pictures on this site. On push feed actions the rear /breech of the barrel is flat. On control feed Mod 70 the breech is coned. On my 220 there was no support for the base of the case in the chamber. Report sounded normal but I saw my barrel rolling across the bench top. Then I looked at the gun, H-S stock splintered, front top of receiver gone (never found) along with top lug of bolt. Case melted leaving a brass wash over front of bolt. PLEASE check all push feed Mod 70's if made in the 90's. The 223 Coyote had a shallow cone but the case support was still at the top of the cases web. Eddie re chambered correctly with a match reamer so ended up with a good chamber.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:21 AM

If I may comment some.

I remember the pictures back in that day. Back then it did not dawn on me that the barrel could have been intended controlled feed with the coned breeching system, I vaguely remember the picts, and the super relief(if you could call it that) but the extractor cut of the controlled feed was not in the barrel face, anyway I cannot remember the cut being there. Usually timed machining is done after a torque to the action though.

After a chamber job, the chamber face is very, very slightly relieved of the sharp entry edge, but a 1/4 or more is way, way too much.

It to me was simply too much gapspace, ie case exposure unsupported beyond the thick portions of the brass. Will work for a while or not at all, but will all fail badly. Oddly enough, a headspace check will pass with flying colors with gapspace unsafe, so headspace is not the only player in the safety game.

I would heed Ray's comments on taking a looksee at the breeching on these rifles.

Last edited by rick w.; 03-14-2019 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:42 AM

Are you saying that after the gun blew apart, that same barrel was reused again on a another action? A barrel just don't blow off a receiver and a bolt lug tear apart due to an excessive amount of unsupported casehead, (breechface clearance). The case head separates but the action does not usually come apart. Yellowish wash indicates plasma which is associated with extremely high pressures. Plugged bore or extreme overcharge causes that. Surely I'm misreading something failing to understand the details correctly?

Last edited by Aceball; 03-14-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:59 AM
Supporting Member

If I am reading correctly, after the swift blew had the 223 checked and re-chambered.

Tom