Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-16-2019, 12:03 PM

Default Athlon optics anyone tried one

Has anyone tried or looked through any of these?

I won’t mention brand, but one optic I looked through a while back, was referenced as a varmint. The cross hairs and reticle was so heavy it must have been designed for T. rex sizes varmints. Reticle would cover a pdog mound let alone a dog.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Has anyone tried or looked through any of these?

I won’t mention brand, but one optic I looked through a while back, was referenced as a varmint. The cross hairs and reticle was so heavy it must have been designed for T. rex sizes varmints. Reticle would cover a pdog mound let alone a dog.
Was it first or second focal plane?
Old 04-16-2019, 12:44 PM
Supporting Member

There are pro's and con's with both first and second focal plane rifle scopes....

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/10/fir...opes-explaned/

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 04-16-2019, 12:56 PM
Supporting Member

I have an Althlon Talos. It's just OK, but in all fairness, it's not the top of the line. I have heard good things about the Althlon Midas TAC.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:21 PM

The heavy was a second focal plane.

I have both types. I have not played with the first focal plane scopes to have a real opinion on them.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:52 PM

Default Athlon Argos 6-24 BTR

I bought one of the Argos 6-24x50 FFP's to try at a local pawn shop. To me it was just ok. Clicks were repeatable but mushy, glass was lacking past 18 power and the cosmetics/ergonomics were not to my taste. I sold it for more than I paid for it.

The Argos is near the bottom of the range but I have looked at some of the higher priced models $500-$900 and was underwhelmed.

I personally think you have better options (Vortex Viper Gen II/Leupold VX3 LRP) etc.

Glass on the Viper PST Gen II is much better as are the ergonomics but they are heavy. Leupold LRP's speak for themselves and offer great glass and much lighter weight.

What is your application for the optic?

Mike.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:42 AM

Default RE

I will say first that I am an Athlon dealer so take my word for what you will. In general the Athlon scopes represent a 20-50 less cost to similar products. to say the viper genII has better glass or that the leupold LRP's speak for them self is at best a stretch. I was at a show a few months ago and compared my $630 Midas TAC to a Leupold vx3i LRP and was shocked at how disappointed I was in the Leupold especially for nearly twice the cost. To some glass is the only thing that matters to others its controls or mechanical tracking. I wish they had more hunting and varmint driven options but they are a little more tactical driven. So far I have had very pleased customers that have given good feedback. When it comes to optics its all about your personal preferences. David C.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:08 AM

One I have (Helos) is crap and going back, no possible way to focus anything past about 200 yds, illuminated reticle is useless and can't be seen at all in sunlight. At first use I thought the glass was OK for the price, the other issues killed that. My vision is starting to degenerate a bit but still..........I don't dial so don't care how things click, as long as it stays zeroed.

Of course they claimed it was user error on my part. Oh ya and they told me the illumination issue is normal, its not for sunlight conditions. Pissed me off plenty, so it sits in the box until I care enough to return it, replaced by another Veracity.

Last edited by GrocMax; 04-17-2019 at 05:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:23 AM

There seems to be a lot of confusion with people who've never used an FFP talking about reticle size 'covering up' things.

THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF AN FFP IS SO THE RETICLE SUBTENSIONS STAY THE SAME SIZE RELATIVE TO THE TARGET AT ALL MAGNIFICATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<soapbox mode =off>

Sorry, had to.

To your eye the reticle gets larger as you zoom up, as you zoom up the target increases in size at the same rate. This is FFP. Its that easy.

I shoot PD's, prefer to shoot below about 14x to keep my field of view larger, and have found the main crosshair subtension of 0.1 MOA WAAAY too small, but that is perfect for punching paper at high magnification. I think preference for the subtension size will depend a lot on the intended target size, and your needs. Deer, coyote, PD, paper, it will make a difference.

Last edited by GrocMax; 04-17-2019 at 05:36 AM.
Old 04-17-2019, 09:36 AM

I put a 6-24 power Argos on a lightweight 6.5 cm hoping to shoot it at longer ranges. When I sighted it in at 200 yards I thought "this ain't half bad?" When I got out to 500+ yards I realized "I got what I paid for". Magnification was useless beyond 16 power and crosshairs were too thick. I did my testing this last winter, so heat wasn't even a factor, could only imagine how bad the heat waves would affect it at higher magnification. Turrets were very mushy(did track very well and return to zero though). Went back to a VX3 4.5-14x, it is a far superior optic. It was worth a shot and don't regret trying it, I put put it on a back-up rifle that doesn't get shot as much. Spend the extra 100 bucks and get Vortex or Leupold. I think I paid about $400 for that model, heard the higher models are much better quality. I bet they are, I will stick with Leupold and Vortex brand for now.... Jay