Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-01-2019, 01:57 AM

Default The Stoney Point/Hornady OAL Gage is Flawed

I just tonight realized that the Hornady OAL Gage that I have (not just the one I have) is flawed in design. The design causes the caliper to sit at an angle to the centerline of the case. It causes some error, I am sure, but it would be slight. If it were correct, it would give a much better feel and certainty when measuring, and this would be the best benefit. What is wrong is that the red gage part that holds the caliber specific ogive gage has the slot milled so that the ogive gage centers on the thickness of the caliper blades. The tool, by design, and necessity, places the other caliper jaw offset on the case base. In reality, the red tool part should have the milled slot offset, so it too allows the bullet to sit offset on the jaw the same amount that the one at the case base sits. I hope this makes sense. I am going to have to machine up one of the red parts correctly one day.

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:36 AM

Nothing is perfect but it does give you a place to start.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:35 PM

Another option is to use this:

https://www.brownells.com/reloading/...prod83792.aspx

Aside that, the anvil bases I have are offset.

Last edited by Hog Patrol; 07-01-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I just tonight realized that the Hornady OAL Gage that I have (not just the one I have) is flawed in design. The design causes the caliper to sit at an angle to the centerline of the case. It causes some error, I am sure, but it would be slight. If it were correct, it would give a much better feel and certainty when measuring, and this would be the best benefit. What is wrong is that the red gage part that holds the caliber specific ogive gage has the slot milled so that the ogive gage centers on the thickness of the caliper blades. The tool, by design, and necessity, places the other caliper jaw offset on the case base. In reality, the red tool part should have the milled slot offset, so it too allows the bullet to sit offset on the jaw the same amount that the one at the case base sits. I hope this makes sense. I am going to have to machine up one of the red parts correctly one day.
Mine is offset...don't know why yours is not. That is why there are threaded holes drilled and tapped on each side for the brass thumb screw...you use it in the offset position when taking a measurement from your rod with the modified case on it...on your loaded rounds, you put the brass thumb screw in the other hole and it puts it centerline to the caliper jaws. It sounds as though you are using it for both applications and not changing the brass thumb screw from one application to the other.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:53 PM

The offset is only about .060", so just looking at it, you may not realize it. Screw the brass thumb screw in one hole and close the caliper jaws and tighten the thumb screw...then put the brass thumb screw in the other threaded hole, close the caliper jaws and tighten it down. You will see that the jaws are centered one way and offset the other way. In the offset position, it is to be used when checking the OAL land contact point using the modified case on the rod...the rod has a notch in it and the offset in the red piece aligns the jaws for this application. When you are checking the OAL of your loaded rounds, put the thumb screw in the hole that centers the red piece in the jaws and use this way for this application. A lot of people do not realize this and depending on which way you have the thumb screw installed, the cartridge position will be angled. You have to change sides with the thumb screw for it to be centered for each of the 2 applications noted above.
Old 07-01-2019, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganderson View Post
The offset is only about .060", so just looking at it, you may not realize it. Screw the brass thumb screw in one hole and close the caliper jaws and tighten the thumb screw...then put the brass thumb screw in the other threaded hole, close the caliper jaws and tighten it down. You will see that the jaws are centered one way and offset the other way. In the offset position, it is to be used when checking the OAL land contact point using the modified case on the rod...the rod has a notch in it and the offset in the red piece aligns the jaws for this application. When you are checking the OAL of your loaded rounds, put the thumb screw in the hole that centers the red piece in the jaws and use this way for this application. A lot of people do not realize this and depending on which way you have the thumb screw installed, the cartridge position will be angled. You have to change sides with the thumb screw for it to be centered for each of the 2 applications noted above.
Ok, I also did not notice the offset, nor did I get clued in that you have to swap the screw direction and orientation. I played with it when I got home and it does work corectly as you say, EXCEPT, the .22 Hornet adapter does not work quite perfectly (it is acceptable). The accessory pusher wire (which is round) does interfere with the location of the caliper jaw a bit and puts the cartridge at a slight angle, but nowhere near what it was before you helped me.

Thanks!

The 11th Commandment: Thou shallt not fold thy Pizza.

Products that I am looking for but can't seem to find no matter how hard I look:
Leopold Scopes, Forester reloading equipment and Victorianox knives.

I video recorded all of my Highpower Rifle matches. Pretty soon I am going to watch them all in reverse order so that I can watch those F Class guys GO HOME and leave us alone so that we can shoot Highpower Rifle.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:42 AM

Are you using a case that was fired in your chamber? If not, you may also be off on your measurement depending on your headspace with the cases they sell.