Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2013, 01:51 PM

Default Savage 12LRP

Yesterday I took the bolt apart on my LRP to clean it, every once in a while it doesn't set the primers off, it makes a small dent and that's it I recycle the bolt then it works properly. Changing primers didn't help (neither did cleaning the bolt) but if there is two ways to put something back together I will get it wrong every time. At the range this morning it wanted to eject out the left side, oh well live and learn.
Old 11-11-2013, 03:13 PM

Firing pin protrusion, spring, Headspace ? sgtg
Old 11-11-2013, 03:55 PM

I'm only neck sizing firing pin looks like it comes out far enough. The ironic part of this is while I was doing some testing at the range last week, I noticed the guy next to me was shooting a Savage I was looking at it to try and figure out which model it was he puled the trigger and it just went click. He recycled the bolt the next time it fired. He was using factory ammo and I believe he said his was a AXIS?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:02 PM

Default firing pin adjustment

I have had a savage do the same thing. I found out that the firing pin length is adjustable. I adjusted the firing pin to extend out just a little more and have not had any problems since then. You do not wandt the firing pin to come out so far as to pierce primers
Old 11-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Supporting Member

Default Accu trigger

Does your rifle have the Accu trigger?
Stan
Old 11-12-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan from Pa. View Post
Does your rifle have the Accu trigger?
Stan
Yes it does
Old 11-12-2013, 12:30 AM

The firing pin protrusion is approx. .061 which should be enough but it doesn't make much of a dent in the primers even the ones that fire. Tonight I had 3 out 18 that would not fire. One fired when I cycled the bolt. The other two I brought home and tried them in my Sako after pulling the bullets, both fired?
Old 11-12-2013, 01:19 AM
Supporting Member

Default Accu trigger

I had posted asking for help in a similar situation about 1 1/2 years ago. I doubt this will help you but I thought it was worth mentioning. My father in law (Remington only fan) won a Savage varmint package with scope in the 22 -250 chambering. He started shooting his reloads and the darn Savage was pretty accurate. Some where along with time, he started experiencing misfires. The firing pin would drop but not enough to ignite the primer. So he took the " da n " Savage to a couple local gun shops and back to Mark Bansner. Gunshops blamed his reloads, Mark test fired with real ammo and declared the gun was fine. Took it to the range again, still the same problem. So we were scratchin our heads and I was watching him shoot all the while Savage rifles in his opinion where going down hill fast. Then I noticed he was pulling on the trigger at a sideways angle sometimes depressing the center blade and other times not. So I dry fired the rifle and was almost certain that was the mistake he was making. I explained to him what he was doing wrong and he said to take the center blade because he didn't like it anyhow. s So I removed what I thought was one of the better inventions Savage came up with and he hasn't had a misfire since. Probably didn't help matters since he still thinks Savage rifles are almost in the useless catagory. Again, I doubt this is your problem, but thought it was worth mentioning.

On his particular rifle, when pulling the main trigger, the firing pin would partially fall without depressing the center blade.
Stan

Last edited by Stan from Pa.; 11-12-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan from Pa. View Post
I had posted asking for help in a similar situation about 1 1/2 years ago. I doubt this will help you but I thought it was worth mentioning. My father in law (Remington only fan) won a Savage varmint package with scope in the 22 -250 chambering. He started shooting his reloads and the darn Savage was pretty accurate. Some where along with time, he started experiencing misfires. The firing pin would drop but not enough to ignite the primer. So he took the " da n " Savage to a couple local gun shops and back to Mark Bansner. Gunshops blamed his reloads, Mark test fired with real ammo and declared the gun was fine. Took it to the range again, still the same problem. So we were scratchin our heads and I was watching him shoot all the while Savage rifles in his opinion where going down hill fast. Then I noticed he was pulling on the trigger at a sideways angle sometimes depressing the center blade and other times not. So I dry fired the rifle and was almost certain that was the mistake he was making. I explained to him what he was doing wrong and he said to take the center blade because he didn't like it anyhow. s So I removed what I thought was one of the better inventions Savage came up with and he hasn't had a misfire since. Probably didn't help matters since he still thinks Savage rifles are almost in the useless catagory. Again, I doubt this is your problem, but thought it was worth mentioning.

On his particular rifle, when pulling the main trigger, the firing pin would partially fall without depressing the center blade.
Stan
Mine hits the primer every time, at the request of Savage I purchase a box of factory ammo 3 out of 20 did not fire they are sending to big brown truck for it tomorrow. It will be interesting to see the out come?