Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-06-2021, 12:00 PM

Default 204 Build Project

Good morning guys, well the 204 build project is finally in motion, in the early stages.....had a great visit with Kevin Weaver two days ago, and we were going over all the things he was going to do to the used Rem action I scrounged up. We pretty well got all that hashed out, and a few minutes later he called me back and asked if I had ever considered a custom action......told him that I had, but decided the extra expense just didn't seem reasonable, etc.....he then told me that Defiance made one that was only a couple hundred bucks more than what I would have in upgrading the 700 action, and that the Tenacity action was a precision action with the M-15 style extractor, side release on the bolt, and the bolt would not require dbl bushing or bushing the firing pin, and the recoil lug was integral, etc.....and all that made sense to me, so then I start tracking down the Tenacity action, had to backorder one from Alamo Precision in Texas, that will be a 3 month wait, but at least things are started. The HS varmint stock should arrive in a few days, and I got the HS detachable mag bottom metal coming also, along with a Jewell trigger.

The next thing I have to figure out is what bbl length? Primarily, this will be a "shoot it out the window" truck gun. To complicate matters, I took the advice of the purchasing mentors here on the forum, and got a Banish 30 moderator in the works. That will add 7 to 9 inches in overall length, and extra issues in maneuvering to get the gun "out the window."

Question is, how much velocity/distance am I going to give up going down from 24 inches to 22 or 20 inches in bbl length? I would like this build to be capable of 400 yds on coyotes. Kevin has ordered a Lilja 11 twist 3 groove in a 24" length, and says we'll cut it down to whatever I decide on.

In a previous post I ran bbl length question up the flagpole, and got several really good thoughts on it. Johnly put forth some simulations that were helpful:

22 inches=90% powder burn
24 inches=92% powder burn
26 inches=93% powder burn

At 22 inches, with the 7 inch can will end up with a 29 inc bbl length....awkward at best but not impossible to handle, and the 9 inch can at 31 inches.....things get long quick.

So, am wondering, just how bad would performance suffer at maybe even 20 inches? I'm sure that some of you may have previous experience with shorter bbls......B23 said he had a 22-250 with an 18" bbl with a can, and said that he recognized the reduce efficiency of the short bbl, but it wa one of his favorite guns to shoot anyway.

I have lots of time to decide on bbl length, and really appreciate all the input and help you guys have given me.....please let me know what you think I should or should not do on the length issue (or anything else I'm doing on this).
Steve
Old 05-06-2021, 12:36 PM

I run my 22-250 @ 21 3/4" with the 300 Harvester, but can't shoot hunting out of a vehicle here. Can have it uncased,unloaded in vehicle while hunting. Which I do , not an issue for that. I have shot at targets from the truck window, the suppressor on the rifle slows up the handling/positioning. The 21.75 barrel by itself is easy to transition.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:46 PM

I run a 20" barrel on a 20-223 AI and consider the velocity loss well worth it for the improved balance an handling the short barrel affords. Although this has been a point of debate for decades, I also believe a short, stiff barrel has more accuracy potential.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:19 PM

Personally I would leave it at the 24 inch length. This seems to work best with the 204 R overall.
When you run the can, either from the bench or out sitting on targets or varmints, you will just learn to handle the longer length and make it work for you.
But without the can, the 24 inch barrel is about the best average for that cartridge.
Old 05-06-2021, 02:55 PM

Since it doesn't sound like you ordered a fluted barrel start with it at the longest length you think you'll ever want then if you find it's just to long for your liking have a few inches cut off the muzzle end, rethreaded, and away you go. But, if you're going with a fluted barrel then that won't be an option for you so if you aren't sure on the length you'll want unfluted is the way to go.

What size contour barrel did you order? When you start running things suppressed you don't want to be using skinny sporter weight contours. You want to have plenty of shoulder for the suppressor to square up against.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:56 PM

If most shots out of the truck they'll probably be no more than 300 yds and most under 250. Just to hard to get a good solid rest for those long shots, so I would think a 22inch barrel should do just fine. At least that's the way it is in my part of town.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:10 PM

< https://www.bullberrylegacy.com/204-ruger-velocity-data >
This may prove useful. RG
Old 05-06-2021, 05:25 PM

For your 204r build a great 40 gr coyote bullet- BIB bullets very accurate and fur friendly.
Old 05-06-2021, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotespotter View Post
For your 204r build a great 40 gr coyote bullet- BIB bullets very accurate and fur friendly.
I've heard good things about these and the 40gr Berger's.

Over on accurate shooter a guy shot most all of the different 20 caliber bullets, even the 55gr Berger, in to ballistic gel blocks. Small sample size of course but the 40gr BIB and 40gr Berger performed pretty much identical and had the best penetration.

All the tipped bullets were relatively explosive so if anyone is using plastic tipped bullets in a 20 cal shoulder shots may not be your best POA.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:36 AM

Default 204 Project moving along....

My HS varmint stock, tan with black spiderweb, (looks great), arrived today, along with the HS detachable mag bottom metal, and must say, the DBM kit is incredible in it's quality! It is pricey, but the quality is over the top, I am very impressed with what HS has done with regard to the bottom metal, and it fits the stock perfectly. Glad I spent the money on it. Now it's pretty much a waiting game for the Lilja bbl and the Tenacity action, probably will be 3 months at best.
Will keep you posted as things progress,
Steve

PS....ordered some 40gr bullets from Randy at BIB bullets today