Saubier.com  



Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 08-07-2021, 07:27 AM
obijohn obijohn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Seattle suburbia
Posts: 31
Default

The Core-Lokt is notorious for expanding too rapidly at close range from an '06. It does not work well at high velocity... like out of a .300 Win Mag. It's not a penetrator, either, if it hits substantial bone on the way in at high velocity, and has a reputation for ruining a lot of meat on a shoulder shot at close range. A great bullet for deer hunting in the eastern woods with a .30-30, not so great for use in a high velocity cartridge. I know from personal experience that it pulps everything in the chest cavity if it doesn't hit a rib on the way in.

This bullet is why Nosler made a business out of selling the Partition to reloaders.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-07-2021, 10:52 AM
MikeP MikeP is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 38
Default

That's a good point about the Core Lokts, and the 300 Winchester is a Weatherby-class velocity monster.

Apparently, the bullet was still traveling too fast at 200 yards to work as a big game bullet.

It's amazing they didn't spec the Core Lokt as a varmint killer.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-07-2021, 06:09 PM
georgeld georgeld is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pueblo, CO
Posts: 5,721
Send a message via MSN to georgeld
Default

Ok more details:

The hide was blown off Vertical not sideways.
She was standing Full on broadside.

MikeP: IF that was the case, why would the very same loads
from the batch of 500 as the first one was. All had a perfect full
thru exit on a half dozen other elk. One at 30 Feet, three others
within 100 Feet. None had excessive exit wounds. 2-3".

I quit hunting with the group I shared the loads with. Seven of us
all shot .300 Win's. I was the only loader. Plus, these were SLOW.

Loaded with a case full (unk wt now) of H1000 an old neighbor had
given me. I don't believe they ever exceeded 2850-2900fps at the muzzle.

Last I knew at least ten years ago this batch of loads had killed 16 elk

WITHOUT another blow up or problem regardless of the range.

Now, let's hear your keyboard knowledge.

BCB: yes sir, it's a mighty long time ago since I was a teen!
you bet bullets, powder, rifles, women even and our trucks
have all improved since then. Except those made of plastic
and electronic gadgets! Cheers fellow old fart!

Back when I was a teen. Many bullets penetrated clear thru and never
expanded at all. Just as well of been shot with FMJ's. Others splashed,
more so when bones were hit. Point of shoulder is one of the worst hits
we can make on game. We only had about 3-4 to choose from. Sierra, Hornady, and some older stuff: Rems, Win: silver tips, bronze pts, HP's,
RN's with full lead face and such. NONE were reliable for every shot. Shoot
and hope was the game plan then.

One year when I was 17, say about 1961 (longtime ago huh?) I only had an '06 then.

Walking thru timber three mule deer bucks ran right past me at about 15 feet. One, a big 3pt stopped with just his rear end showing from behind a pine. I put a 150gr Herter's Wasp Waist as close as I could to the tree. I don't think I hit the tree. Entered his R short ribs and blew the L shoulder away so much a basketball could have been buried flush. I've never seen such damage on bigger game as that.

Earlier that summer the Old Elk Killer Rancher and I were out after August
elk. He shot face on a feeding bull with his .300 H&H 180gr. Hit between the shoulders, missed the spine. Bull sat on his butt like a dog til he figured out what happened. Then ran right past Orin and I. I hit him at about 25 feet with another on the point of the shoulder with my '06 and one of those Herter's Wasp Waist's. He never flinched at my shoulder hit. Bull went down about 30 yards after that. I blew his head apart with another. We cut the shoulder shot open to examine what happened. Had an air bubble about 8" dia, bone pulverized about 2" dia and an inch deep. After the buck was blown up, I shot the rest at pr dogs.

Enough experience's like these over "many years" add's up guys. IF you keep at it "as long as some of us" have you'll understand much better.--Maybe!
__________________
George

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-08-2021, 05:49 AM
jim barker jim barker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: N. E. Colorado
Posts: 1,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijohn View Post
The Core-Lokt is notorious for expanding too rapidly at close range from an '06. It does not work well at high velocity... like out of a .300 Win Mag. It's not a penetrator, either, if it hits substantial bone on the way in at high velocity, and has a reputation for ruining a lot of meat on a shoulder shot at close range. A great bullet for deer hunting in the eastern woods with a .30-30, not so great for use in a high velocity cartridge. I know from personal experience that it pulps everything in the chest cavity if it doesn't hit a rib on the way in.

This bullet is why Nosler made a business out of selling the Partition to reloaders.
I've shot lots of game with a Core lokt and never have had a problem. Shot them in 308, 7mag, 6.5 Creedmore. From 50 to 250 yards. By pulp in chest cavity, do you mean lungs liver and heart? That's no problem with me.
__________________
A 9mm may expand but a .45 doesn't shrink
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-08-2021, 09:45 AM
obijohn obijohn is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Seattle suburbia
Posts: 31
Default

I think the Core-Lokt is a good bullet for the .30-'06 and slower cartridges for eastern whitetail deer hunting. That's what it was designed for... a quick-opening bullet that had the core 'Lokt' to the jacket using the cannelure as a crimp. The bullets were designed to expand rapidly within 8 to 10 inches, and then to stop expanding and have the core drive the mushroomed bullet through, maximizing energy transfer. The Core-Lokt was considered a great deer bullet in the mid-Atlantic and Southeast when I was a kid (1970s), and the ads always featured beautifully mushroomed bullets. From my own personal experience, I know they do a JOB on eastern whitetails on a chest hit. I never recovered a bullet but the deer I shot with them had inch-sized exit holes and the lungs were jellied... and they ran 25 to 40 yards likely on pure adrenaline. I remember one deer that the bullet had hit the heart on a broadside hit and the upper half was torn away as well as the lungs destroyed... still ran 30 yards. I was and am surprised at the toughness of a deer. Never shot anything in the west with one.

If you can get them into the chest cavity, they're a very effective bullet. If you need a lot of penetration before you can get to the vitals, they're the wrong bullet. This should have been a good bullet for a broadside chest shot on an elk. From the description of what happened (a strip of hide blown off that was longer/vertical than it was wide and no penetration), the bullet must have fractured and the spall took the hide with it. Maybe a defective bullet, maybe a bit of mud with a rock in it and the one in a million hit on the rock... who knows? I doubt the same results would have occurred if the bullet was a Nosler Partition.

My Gulf South deer hunting friends still hunt with them and still get good results. The people I've hunted mule deer and elk in the PNW don't use them... either in factory loads or handloads. It was a good bullet when it was designed in the late 1930s... we have better bullets now.

Last edited by obijohn; 08-08-2021 at 09:49 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-10-2021, 04:33 AM
jim barker jim barker is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: N. E. Colorado
Posts: 1,111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijohn View Post
I think the Core-Lokt is a good bullet for the .30-'06 and slower cartridges for eastern whitetail deer hunting. That's what it was designed for... a quick-opening bullet that had the core 'Lokt' to the jacket using the cannelure as a crimp. The bullets were designed to expand rapidly within 8 to 10 inches, and then to stop expanding and have the core drive the mushroomed bullet through, maximizing energy transfer. The Core-Lokt was considered a great deer bullet in the mid-Atlantic and Southeast when I was a kid (1970s), and the ads always featured beautifully mushroomed bullets. From my own personal experience, I know they do a JOB on eastern whitetails on a chest hit. I never recovered a bullet but the deer I shot with them had inch-sized exit holes and the lungs were jellied... and they ran 25 to 40 yards likely on pure adrenaline. I remember one deer that the bullet had hit the heart on a broadside hit and the upper half was torn away as well as the lungs destroyed... still ran 30 yards. I was and am surprised at the toughness of a deer. Never shot anything in the west with one
If you can get them into the chest cavity, they're a very effective bullet. If you need a lot of penetration before you can get to the vitals, they're the wrong bullet. This should have been a good bullet for a broadside chest shot on an elk. From the description of what happened (a strip of hide blown off that was longer/vertical than it was wide and no penetration), the bullet must have fractured and the spall took the hide with it. Maybe a defective bullet, maybe a bit of mud with a rock in it and the one in a million hit on the rock... who knows? I doubt the same results would have occurred if the bullet was a Nosler Partition.

My Gulf South deer hunting friends still hunt with them and still get good results. The people I've hunted mule deer and elk in the PNW don't use them... either in factory loads or handloads. It was a good bullet when it was designed in the late 1930s... we have better bullets now.
Long time Wash resident - King County most my life, I'm 75 Hunted both east and west Wash and Idaho. Shot a mule deer in Idaho in the neck and the bullet went through the neck (put the cross hairs on middle of white patch on neck), along side of the spine and penetrated 18" before coming to a stop. Mule deer and black tail not so different from eastern white tail. They all die with a good shot. This year mature muley in eastern Colorado (now home) shot behind left quarter as it was moving from 4 o'clock to 10 o'clock. The bullet went through lungs and lodged just forward of right quarter. Very little meat loss. Was using 6.5 Creedmore. About 125 yards.
__________________
A 9mm may expand but a .45 doesn't shrink
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 08-10-2021, 02:50 PM
Bill K Bill K is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: N.E. Commie Kalifornia
Posts: 5,824
Default

The Core Lokt by Remington is a very fine bullet. But it was intended, I believe, for the standard cartridges like the era it came out in. Say from 250 savage, 06, 270, 30-30, 26-06 and others in that FPS range.
When used in that type, it has killed just about every species of animal walking this good earth and worked well for hunters.

But now days, with the improvements in bullets and the much faster velocities we are seeing, there are much better bullets, to use in them.
Just a thought. I still load and shoot Core Lokt's in some, except now for hunting in my commie state, I did have to switch to lead free.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 08-10-2021, 03:24 PM
foxhunter foxhunter is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: new mexico
Posts: 3,244
Send a message via AIM to foxhunter
Default

i know some here , especially those in a commie state shoot the 15.5 ntx. has anyone had the bullet splash aka explode on the surface? i have shot lots of game with non lead bullets and never a splash at any angle.
__________________
I post here because it keeps the riffraff away.
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in
a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, Holy sh!t... What a Ride!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-10-2021, 03:46 PM
Bill K Bill K is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: N.E. Commie Kalifornia
Posts: 5,824
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxhunter View Post
i know some here , especially those in a commie state shoot the 15.5 ntx. has anyone had the bullet splash aka explode on the surface? i have shot lots of game with non lead bullets and never a splash at any angle.
I am 99% shooting the 15.5 NTX in all my 17 calibers. and have not had, what many explain as being a Splash, they enter at POI and blow up inside, on the larger animals, rock chucks/coyotes and just plain explode the small one's like ground squirrels/rabbits. ( I am in the communist state of california, with Newsom and his co-horts in power)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-10-2021, 03:53 PM
Johnly Johnly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
( I am in the communist state of california, with Newsom and his co-horts in power)
Sounds like we need to form a team and plan for a hostile environment extraction.
The way things are going in Oregon, I might need the same undertaking some day in the future.

John
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.