Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-16-2022, 05:16 AM

Default Cooper Deal Advice

So I have an itch for a varmint Cooper and see this one for sale. I'M oK withe the 19 cal and I like the single shot 21's.
For $1500 why is it still for sale and why shouldn't I buy it?
https://www.rokslide.com/forums/thre...alhoon.252697/
Old 05-16-2022, 09:35 AM

Default I like mine....

The nice thing about the 19-223 is the barrel is a PAC-Nor , the cases are easy to make and it will easily take pd’s at 500 yards. The poly tipped bullets that Sierra makes for James should work fine also.The add says 19 Calhoon which is the Hornet case, also a fun gun to shoot,but the picture says otherwise.Either way I’d jump on that deal.
Matt
Old 05-16-2022, 12:08 PM

Buy it - and a lifetime supply of 19 caliber bullets!

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 05-16-2022, 03:08 PM

I am skeptical - the ad is mis-stated as to the caliber, all of the payment methods being requested do not have any recourse for you if things go bad, the scratches on the butt devalue it quite a bit for me, the member selling the rifle is a new member with no feedback that I can see.
The 19 caliber really limits you to bullet choices, which should be a consideration given the current difficulty in locating suitable components even for more common items.

drover
Old 05-16-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post
I am skeptical - the ad is mis-stated as to the caliber, all of the payment methods being requested do not have any recourse for you if things go bad, the scratches on the butt devalue it quite a bit for me, the member selling the rifle is a new member with no feedback that I can see.
The 19 caliber really limits you to bullet choices, which should be a consideration given the current difficulty in locating suitable components even for more common items.

drover
I have the same feelings, Why has it not sold, maybe 99% of the lookers are skeptical of the new seller. Could be a scam to get your money and never see the rifle. Be cautious.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:18 PM
Supporting Member

I'm glad that I never have to rely on the internet as being my local gun shop. In a gun shop, what you see is what you get.....

The simple fact that it hasn't sold at what appears to be a good price, even with the stock scratches, looks fishy to me. Magnified, the scratches don't look deep so maybe some linseed oil on steel wool wiped and buffed with the grain might cure them.

The barrel is clearly stamped 19-223, but maybe the owner thinks that it's a 219 Calhoon.... On Calhoon's web site, the 19-223 is called the 19-223 Calhoon which is showing to be trade marked as the cartridge's official name.......

Quien sabe?

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 05-16-2022 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-16-2022, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drover View Post

drover
Run away! Wouldn't touch it with the specified payment options.
Old 05-16-2022, 08:23 PM
Supporting Member

Know any serious nerds who can search for those pics anywhere else?
Old 05-16-2022, 09:10 PM

One of the options stated is Apple Pay which is a credit card issued by Goldman Sachs. I have used Apple Pay since it came on the scene a few years ago with absolutely no issues. Had a couple of questionable transactions that were stopped immediately until issues were resolved. Very quick response and they were 100% in my corner backing me up.

That said, due diligence is in order, especially if the seller is new with no track record. My take on this is that the 19 caliber may be eliminating a large percentage of buyers. I recently read that only 6% of shooters reload. If that is true I can imagine that the 19 caliber gives most potential buyer great pause.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 05-16-2022, 09:19 PM

Default Cooper

Thanks Folks
I appreciate the help regarding the Cooper "19".
Although I did get friendly response to a few questions, as you have pointed out so well, there are many red flags.
"If it sounds too good and all that"
I may see if I can get a phone number, call him and ask if I can pick it up in person. That usually will vet out crooked sellers.
Thanks Again
BTW...on the same site is a pretty Cooper 38 in 17 FB for 2150.