Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 07-05-2013, 06:15 PM
Supporting Member

Default Has the maddness stopped??

Seems the "chicken little syndrome" has abated somewhat and I was wondering what others are seeing in their areas. Anything AR15 is basically back to pre crazy times in the DFW area and gunshows are loaded with guys trying to sell their AR's they bought at inflated prices. Last week at the range I sat next to a couple guys that were sporting new DPMS flattops that they bought for 675.00 with 30rnd mags. I just bought 2 RRA lowers for 115.00ea and found the LPK's for 65.00. We're not seeing 22lr ammo at the retail outlets but the prices seem to have dropped around 40% over what it was selling for on GB. Watching Rem golden bullets sell for 80.00 for 525rnds bordered on obscene. Reloading components are still scarce at retail outlets but they never had anything to speak of anyway. Biggest shortages we see are powders and primers locally, none of the retail outlets have them.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:00 PM
Supporting Member

Yes Chuck the scare is about over on the east coast. Guys are trying to sell .223 amo they paid a buck a round for at the same price. They are basiclly being told to eat it. PSA is having thier monthly upper sales again. I have seen lowers for 89 bux and LPK's for 68 bux.

The madness is almost over for now lol. (until next time)
Old 07-05-2013, 08:24 PM

local gun shop in sw iowa has no less than 10 ARs on the shelf, at or below msrp..his normal pricing..he never went higher on his prices. bought a 9mm from him last week and he thru in a box of cci blazer ammo and had plenty left on the shelf. 22lr is still quite rare to see at the stores, although I did score some mini mags from cabelas web site a couple of weeks ago.right now I'm in Olathe, KS visiting the grand kids and just got back from Bass Pro where the shelves were well stocked with any kind of black gun you could want. no 22lr. only 9mm ammo is the ultra high end Remington stuff. very thin on powders and no primers. spotty on bullets. Everytime I walk thru one of the big box stores and see all the empty shelf space, I just grin, knowing my shelves at home are well stocked and none of the stuff was bought at panic prices.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:48 PM

Default CCI Std vel, 1 case thereof was just moved from front

Porch to reloading area. I just happened to see a post abt Champions' Choice last Fri and was able to snag a case. This will keep me going with my pistol practice till Dec with what I have left from previous stocking.

The VERY nice thing is CCI has not raised prices as the case was same price as last Fall + the shipping, naturally. This gives me hope that the mfrs, at least CCI, has not increased prices. The increases we've seen is from the distributors and their customers. Matter of fact, going to their web site now and thank them for sending what they did as a bunch of it went to Perry.

Sanity is on board, on the horizon and will be docking this year, hopefully.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:52 PM

For all practical purposes, only shotgun ammo in the big box stores in the Indy area. No 22lr, no 22WMR or 17 HMR, very little pistol caliber ammo, no revolver caliber ammo, no 223, no 308, but some stores have lots of larger bore traditional rifle hunting ammo. Funny about the latter, as Indiana is not legal for deer, but one store had tons of about any magnum or short magnum rifle round you could want. Prices are still very high. Small shops are getting some powder and reloading supplies back in stock, but very slowly, and not the normal variety available.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:12 PM

Around here, the short answer would be "no."

As a home based FFL, bullets, primers, and powder are hard to find or get through distributors. .22 and most pistol ammo same story. Many guns too.

All in all, things seem to be loosening up a bit, but it's baby steps all the way.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:33 PM

The local Cabela's had primers, some powders, and scads of all kinds of handgun ammo this morning. They had a half-dozen boxes of .17HMR, but no .22LR. They also had all kinds of rifle ammo, mostly shootemup .223, .30 Carbine, 7.62x39, and oddly, half a shelf-full of 6.8SPC, which I thought was quite strange, truthfully. They also had ARs at fair to better-than-fair prices, too.

I guess that offsets the outrageous prices they had on the used guns ($500 for well used 870 Wingmasters is WAY too much).
Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 PM

Default Has the maddness stopped

Some what. except for the primers.
I picked up 4 8 pound jugs yesterday. T-32, 4350, 4831, 7828 SC
Now I should be set for some time.

Primers are too hight and I have too many to worry about it for now.
When the pipeline fills up like this it is going to be a long hungry streach
for the arms companies. Unless theres a revolution I'm set for many years to come.
Old 07-05-2013, 11:50 PM
Supporting Member

Around my area the 22lr ammo is not to be found in stores but it's funny, there is 22 magnum ammo and 17 HMR. Big pistol ammo is available but no 9mm to be found without paying through the nose. Seems like shotgun ammo is always available in 12ga and 20ga. I don't remember exactly what calibers in centerfire are available but .223/5.56 is not easy to find along with .308. There are some shooting centers that have centerfire ammo but by the case and I'm not into buying that much ammo. I'm not short on anything centerfire but I do like to buy different types of 22lr ammo just to try in my different rimfire rifles. Darn rimfire rifles have a habit of liking one type of ammo over another and I have spent a lot of time pulling what's left of my hair out because a favorite rifle will not shoot worth a darn with stuff I just found. A lot of the on-line places like Midway will only sell one box of 22lr ammo and the shipping almost doubles the price. Midway was the only place I got a notification from that some type of 22lr ammo was available.

Last edited by 22_boomer; 07-05-2013 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-06-2013, 12:00 AM
Supporting Member

Default Stuff

Hardly anything here in NW Pa.