Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-25-2021, 03:23 PM

Default Harrell Powder WEight Charts?

Are there charts showing the Harrell powder measure settings for different powders?
Thanks!
Jim
Old 04-25-2021, 11:23 PM
Supporting Member

Some may have charts that show this data for their measure and powder lot, but I haven't seen anything published anywhere.

I had two benchrest measures and each of them was slightly different to the other , not saying they all are, but my two were different and I certainly didn't interchange the setting from one to the other and think that it would throw the same weight of powder.

Since learning that I now check any setting by weighing the powder, I even find a difference in powder weight when the temp changes using the same setting...…..Kiwi
Old 04-26-2021, 04:12 PM

NOW you are getting BR picky.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:09 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwishooter View Post
Some may have charts that show this data for their measure and powder lot, but I haven't seen anything published anywhere.

I had two benchrest measures and each of them was slightly different to the other , not saying they all are, but my two were different and I certainly didn't interchange the setting from one to the other and think that it would throw the same weight of powder.

Since learning that I now check any setting by weighing the powder, I even find a difference in powder weight when the temp changes using the same setting...…..Kiwi
Does the powder weight change while sitting in the brass with a seated bullet after month or so?
Should we go by weight or by the same volume?
Having said that I find myself weighing and adjusting up or down as needed to get my desired weight. Always have wondered why I do that. Damn prairie dogs can't tell the difference.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:24 PM
Supporting Member

I just spoke to Lynwood Harrell ( met hi m a few months ago on an RV website) and he knows of no charts, so I assume it would be very difficult a task, if not impossible.

Allen
Old 04-26-2021, 06:19 PM

I use a Harrells and zero with scales for every loading session. Sometimes I am a click one way or the other... powder measure or scales off? And with all the external things that affect a bullet after it leaves a barrel, I really don't see how anyone would know why every shot was or was not a X. On top of that, there is no way every measure could have identical adjustments so a chart would only be a guide (which I already made for myself)
Old 04-26-2021, 09:10 PM

And don't forget the slight variations within the powder lots, let alone the lot-to-lot variations per spec.
Old 04-27-2021, 07:48 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim barker View Post
Does the powder weight change while sitting in the brass with a seated bullet after month or so?
Should we go by weight or by the same volume?
Having said that I find myself weighing and adjusting up or down as needed to get my desired weight. Always have wondered why I do that. Damn prairie dogs can't tell the difference.
How are you Jim, haven't seen you much on here.

Jim on that first question I wouldn't know as I just shoot them and I don't have much ammo that just "sits" it tends to get shot.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:24 PM
Supporting Member

For a great many years most competitive BR shooters believed that volume was more important than weight. If their load was X clicks of Varget, they never changed it based on what that load might weigh. I now longer shoot BR so I don't know if that view still holds with current shooters but it worked better than weight when I was doing it.
Old 04-28-2021, 05:54 PM

I read somewhere, that some BR shooters adjusted their loads dependent on the atmospheric conditions, or perhaps it was humidity, elevation, or some such.
Maybe that's why I never got "into" BR shooting - to complicated for me.