Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-10-2022, 01:13 AM

Default 17 AH brass forming--help

Have been forming AH brass for my Mod 38 Cooper for a number of years with no problem. Recently a friend ask if I would form some for his Cooper and I of course said not a problem--or I thought.
Started out with new RP brass, ran it thorough the form die, the trim die and then the full length sizer backed off one turn. The same procedure that produces perfect brass with a light crush fit in my rifle. However brass formed in exactly the same manner will not even come close to chambering in my friends rifle.
Have attempted to adjust the FL die and even tried the seating die with the same result. Understand there are differences in chamber dimensions but its seems a little out of the ordinary.
Bob
Old 02-10-2022, 01:22 AM

His rifle is a 17 AH version right ? Not a plain hornet ?
Old 02-10-2022, 02:09 AM

The chamber on one of my 17 AH is so short, that I machined down a shell holder just so I could bump the shoulder back far enough.

John
Old 02-10-2022, 02:21 AM

Bob and Johnly, your problems sound similar. Sounds like an oft-re-sharpened reamer was used, perhaps making an undersized "short bodied" chamber?
When I formed my .17AH's from my RP .22 Hornet brass that had never needed trimming or annealing(fired 14 times), I simply necked them in a .17AB seating die, then again in my Wilson .17AH die hand die, then loaded and fireformed them. I was able to reload those .17AH's twice before losing one to a split neck - so from new, they have been fired 17 times before needed annealing.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:25 AM

I believe its an AH--says so on the barrel but who knows what has happened to it since leaving the Cooper plant.
Beginning to think its a short chamber. Screwed up enough brass trying resolve it.
Will either give it back or buy it on the cheap. Owner said he shot a couple of 17 Hornady Hornet rounds in it. Came out a little on the short side. Not sure if thats even possible if is still chambered as an AH. Maybe its been re-chambered along the way.
Oh well, mine shoots so good not sure I need another project. Think I'll just give it back.
Bob
Old 02-10-2022, 03:59 PM

Full length size a piece of once (or more) fired piece of brass from your rifle and see if it fits.
Old 02-10-2022, 04:27 PM

Try comparing your cartridges (and maybe adjusting your dies) with one of the owner-fired 17HH cases.

Bruce
Old 02-11-2022, 06:22 AM

Full length resizing of a piece of brass from my rifle was the first thing I tried.
Old 02-13-2022, 06:26 PM

I’m now the proud owner of the problem child Cooper model 38, 17AH, Varminter.
Other than not being able to form brass for it, it’s really a nice rifle with heavy stainless barrel and a nice piece of wood. Previous owner decided he did’t want to mess with it and made me a very attractive offer to take it off his hands.
Now to figure out what’s going on with it.
Bob
Old 02-13-2022, 07:17 PM

Sounds like you should make a chamber cast and measure it and see just exactly what you do have.