Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 05-13-2022, 03:45 AM

Default Case Forming on a Progressive Press and Modifying a Case Trim Die

Guys it been a while. I haven't had much time shooting of late. The only open project on my reloading bench is a 300HAM'R that I will be using for pigs. Not a varmint cartridge, but I needed input from knowledgeable folks on case forming.

At present there are no makers of 300HAM'R Case Trim Dies for Dillon Trimmer. It would be a custom job and the lead time quoted by CH4D is 2 years in backlog.

The 300 HAM'R is 1/4" inch longer than a 300BO, and its case neck and shoulder is primarily formed from the angled shoulder of a .223 case. So unlike the 300BO, I am only removing/cutting off the neck of the .223 case. I plan to use my Dillon 1050 and RT1500 Trimmer for doing the case trimming and forming. I have a workaround using a series of necking-up dies and then a 300BO Trim Die, but it would be nice to simplify the process.

First Question: Does anyone have a line on a smaller niche Die Maker that might have flexibility to make a Case Trim Die for me?

Second Question: Has anyone ever heard of or tried to modify an existing Case Trim Die. One suggestion would be to get a 223 Case Trim Die and after annealing it then ream it out with 300HAM'R reamer. The die would then need to be shorten (.223 case length is 4mm too long) and finally heat treated.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 05-14-2022 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:52 PM
Supporting Member

I got a 7.62X40 WT barrel,dies and case gauge on clearance.
I'm just going to select a quantity of brass and batch process it to fit. If I can find another Gracey I'll have one for .224 and one set up for .30 caliber and use their adapter.