Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-05-2013, 09:54 PM
Supporting Member

Default hate to admit it but.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bburrell View Post
Thanks Alan, Which brand scope are you using and which reticle?
we are using a cheap scope, a Simmons ATV I think it is. Pretty good worker for an inexpensive scope. A friend bought a BUNCH of them in a bulk buy years ago. They've worked as good as Leupolds but we always use them in daylight, not evening dim hunting light.
I have mostly Leupolds.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:07 PM

I like the same power ranges for my fox guns. have two V16s which are 4-16x, a Buckmaster 6-18, and a 12x leupold. I think 99% of the shots fired are right at 12x on the variables.

Another one is a Burris FFII 4.5x14 or 3x9 with either the Bplex or fine cross hairs if you dont need turrets. they are solid for the money. I always have a few of them in the mix and once you have your ranges down for the hold overs on the Bplex its money for quick shots.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:21 PM

If using for P. Dogs then I would use a 6.5 x 20 but only because I like to see the little pieces of meat, fur, legs, head fly off. Also better for the red mist. Also with all optics you won't ever be sorry going top end.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:18 PM
Supporting Member

I delegated my 17AH pretty much a "yard gun" used for Starlings on the barn roofs and the occasional crow across the short pasture (157 yards). Being in a Ruger #1 configuration I put a fixed 16X Redfield 3200 on it with fine target crosshairs. This really isn't a practical configuration but it looks pretty neat. Makes those 75 yard starlings look like Eagles Talk about scattered pieces with a 20 grn. vmax. It just kind of hollows out crows.....

Aaron
Old 12-06-2013, 01:17 AM

Default Which Scope?

Bburrell,
If you cannot see it you cannot hit it!!! Always choose resolution over magnification. I have hit many prairie dogs at 500+ yards using a scopes on 6 power (17 Mach IV and other small calibers). I have owned most quality scopes (Leupold MKIV + LRT, Nightforce, Sightron, Swarovski, Unertl, etc). Going forward I am only buying Sightron. A good friend of mine works at Sightron and he has all the optical test equipment to test any scope, which we have done. Hands down the Sightron is the best value on the market, period! The Big Sky III offers Nightforce quality (resolution, repeatability, etc) for about 2/3 the price (retail). I have many 6-24x scopes and when shooting prairie dogs the magnification is usually on 10-16x. Too much magnification reduces the field of view, which is very important when those little critters start to charge or run off in all directions. It is often difficult to follow the little critters when shucking the bolt or inserting a magazine when the power is too high and field of view too narrow.

EJ
Old 12-06-2013, 01:21 AM

I think somewhere in the 4-12 - 4-16 range pretty much would cover it. I have weaver v-16's on my 19 calhoon's and like them for similar range and cartridge. I have vx2 4-12 on my rimfires and have never considered changing them out for more. I typically run vx3 4.5-14 on any gun when I am in doubt. Just seems to work for me on just about everything. To contradict that I have a leupold fixed 8 power on my 17AH and on one of my 19 badgers and just love it. Guess it depends what day of the week and what funds are available at the time for me. I definitely like 6.5-20 range on my ground squirrel and prairie dog guns dedicated to only that job. Seem to be around 12-14 power most of the time though. But have a little extra in the case I ever feel I need it.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:36 AM

Default scopes

I forgot to mention that Sightron has a wicked 2.5-17.5x scope out that was recently added to their lineup. When I was at Sightron a few weeks ago I had the opportunity to see this scope and was very impressed with the optics and light gathering ability. There are two versions, one with mil has and the other with MOA reticle.

S TAC 2.5-17.5X56IRMH

S TAC 2.5-17.5X56 IRMOA

EJ
Old 12-06-2013, 02:04 AM

The Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 Side Focus is an ideal scope for the rifle. Not big and bulky with great glass for the price and right now Midway has them on special for $229.95 with either Nikoplex or Fine Crosshairs and dot..........no better bargain anywhere right now than that!! GHD
Old 12-06-2013, 02:58 AM
Supporting Member

I have a leupold 6.5x20 Var iX III on the Cooper Classic and a weaver grand slam 6.5x20 on a T/C contender, both in 17AH. I would be hard pressed to find fault with either. I do like the fast focus occular on the weaver. It works great when sharing it with other shooters.
Rider
Old 12-06-2013, 03:03 AM
Supporting Member

I live in gopher country and gophers love alfalfa! Gophers are small and often when they are in the alfalfa all ya might see is a head or part of a head and sometimes that is at a couple hundred or better yards. That said, I like lots of scope.
As much as I like Leupolds I have become addicted to the Weaver Grand Slam 6X20X40's. I have a bunch of em and laid up on my porch they run $340.00ish, maybe a bit more as I haven't bought one lately (2 for 1 over the Leupolds). Here's my CZ .17 Hornet wearing one with one a the above mentioned gophers .

Sure nice talking gopher smucking today. Woke up to a balmy -22 this morning and after warming up to a sweltering -4 it is now headed back down and is currently a pleasant -18 outside .

Last edited by montdoug; 12-06-2013 at 03:12 AM.

Tags
17 hornet, scope