Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-12-2023, 03:40 AM

Default 17wsm

I picked up a near new Ruger 17SM Stainless varminter recently, keen to get out and have a play with it, like the idea of a bit more reach than the 17HMR, and its just that bit different to other stuff out there.

You fellas would have had a good play with it over there by now, so what is the general concensus of you that have one ? Like, dislike, ho humm, what do you reckon ?

Ammo, I got a heap that came with the rifle, both 20 and 25gn bullet weight, previous owner reckons the 25 was a bit better accuracy, but am kinda hoping that I can get the 20s cranking with reasonable accuracy, and shooting a bit flatter.

Opinions please gentlemen.
Old 03-12-2023, 03:54 AM

I have no direct experience, but have done a lot of reading on it as I had a chance to get one for a somewhat reasonable deal given current circumstances (poor economy and supply chain issues/ammo shortages in the US). In my case, it would have been a Savage Bmag.

However, what I found was that the Bmag is very much a “budget” rifle, with many problems at release including mechanical failures and very lackluster accuracy. To my knowledge, Savage is the only manufacturer currently making a rifle for it. Ruger has discontinued the Model 77, and with the ammo shortage going on the ammo is very expensive for a rimfire (often approaching or even exceeding $1USD per shot). Those two factors drove me away from it. It seems like a great little round filling the gap between the .17HMR and the .17 Hornet, but if I’m going to pay that much, I’ll just get a Hornet (also not incredibly well supported at the moment, but well enough) and reload it so I don’t take a gamble at having a rifle I can’t get ammo for. Frankly, unless other manufacturers start making rifles chambered for it, I see it being a very boutique round produced in occasional batches like the .17HM2.

That said, I’d stock up on ammo whenever you find it in stock and reasonably priced, just in case. Some folks have reported good accuracy with them, and it does pack a punch!
Old 03-12-2023, 08:19 AM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply, and yes I have over 2000 shots in the ammo cupboard, cost around the 50c mark in Aussie $, which sounds reasonable to me seeing as some HMR ammo costs more. Deals can be done with the larger gunshops on bulk ammo, one bloke I know bought 30,000 rounds and only paid around 30c per shot, but he is a pro shooter and goes through a lot of ammo each year.
Old 03-12-2023, 08:43 AM

Got a Bmag and mounted it in a Boyd's Stock & it's one of my favorite plinkers. Have a good supply for now and saw a few boxes at a local sporting goods store, for around $23 a box so things are showing signs of things coming around.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:28 AM

If you get a good one they're a lot of gun, ammo consistency is it's bugaboo, mine shoots bug holes with one lot of 15 gr. and 1 1/2 MOA with most ammo.
Old 03-12-2023, 04:15 PM

Default I have the Ruger

I like mine very well and even with the shorter 18.5” barrel I still get 3000 FPS with the 20s and excellent groups.It definitely has its place.I hope one day CCI will get on board and make ammo too.I like the fact that you can get a rimfire that approaches what the smaller centerfire 17s can do but would like to see a stronger following for it.I also enjoy my 17mach2,17HMR and my 17AH.Enjoy it they are a blast.
Matt
Old 03-12-2023, 04:20 PM

I would say stock up as much of the 17WSM you can find, It appears from sales, makers, etc. that the cartridge is on it's way out of production.
It would be nice if someone keeps it around, but time will tell.
Old 03-12-2023, 05:22 PM

If you keep in mind it's a rimfire that really only has "hunting" grade ammunition, you'll likely get along fine with it. If you have expectations of it shooting like some of the BR 22's or even consistently shooting tiny little groups, wellllll, it's likely you are going to be disappointed in any 17 WSM because the available ammo for them just won't support that kind of shooting but for a small game hunting grade rimfire the 17 WSM is King of the rimfires.

I've had my HB SS Bmag, or "Bgag" as they are often referred to, since Savage first came out with the HB SS version. Like many others I immediately put mine in a Boyd's laminate as well as did a few other modifications to it and I guess I lucked out as well because for the most part mine has always shot pretty good or at least as good as I've needed it to for what I use it for.

For those that don't already have a healthy supply getting 17 WSM ammo is not an easy thing to do. Regardless of what the label on the box says Winchester makes it all and it is all the same stuff. Some will tell you Hornady or American Eagle is loaded by Winchester but they have their own proprietary "loads" but that is simply not true. Regardless of if the box says Hornady on it or Winchester, if it is 20gr ammo the only difference will be the Lot#.

Speaking of Lot#'s, if you have a couple thousand rounds of 17 WSM on the shelf than there is a good chance it could be from multiple different Lot #'s. From shooting a good amount of this stuff my recommendation is every time you change to a different Lot # shoot your gun on paper to see if POI is different. For the most part I've only had one Lot # that consistently shot to a noticeably different POI so ever time I open a new case of ammo I'll shoot it on paper to verify the new Lot shoots the same or similar.
Old 03-13-2023, 02:45 PM

^^^^^^^^^
Same results here.
I see some folks make claims of superior results. The RimX and another are said to shoot very well all the time. I was really lose to building one, then came to my senses. The wide spreads of numbers I have seen on my chrono with this I don’t see how a $1200-3000 rifle will fix it.
The only thing I could come up with would be the ignition/firing pin difference.
I measured rim thickness on one box, it was not what I would call stellar.
If a high precision built 17WSM were done with minimum headspace I think there would be a fair number of snug bolt closing.
Old 03-13-2023, 03:26 PM

I think we should remember that the cartridge/brass used in teh 17 wsm was developed and used in nail guns, so it is produced with just the need to fire and shoot a nail or projectile into a surface.
It is therefore not made with it's use and intent for an accurate load purpose.
But it did produce a 17 cal cartridge, by the maker to gain some FPS over the 17 HMR.
So it will vary, and can do so a good amount between lots, as it is made.
So, as stated by some, you better check the POI in each lot change.