Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 06-26-2020, 03:11 PM

Default Need CZ 527 gunsmith

Hey Guys

I have a CZ 527 Varmint in .17 Hornet that I just adore. I have had it a few years now and have made lot of orphan ground squirrels with it here in Idaho and Nevada. As much fun as it is to shoot, alas, the time has come where it is not shooting quite as good as it once was. Not terrible mind you, but not like it used to be.

Anyway, fine friend gave me a Shilen .17 cal barrel that was formerly a .17 Mach IV that only had 2-300 rounds fired down it. The chamber was cut off before he got it and now it's just a 20" blank.

So I guess I need to find me a hopefully affordable quality gunsmith that can thread it, chamber it and get it installed and headspaced on my CZ. I just dont know anyone that does it and hoping that some of you guys can recommend someone. It does not have to be done right away, but hopefully in the near future.

Much thanks for any info.
Old 06-26-2020, 06:30 PM

As I recall, the CZ's are metric thread. Whoever you pick, make sure they can do metric threads.
Old 06-26-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
As I recall, the CZ's are metric thread. Whoever you pick, make sure they can do metric threads.
Yup. That's the problem with the ones around here that I have talked to so far. Not setup for metric. Seems odd with so many non-American made guns out there.
Old 06-26-2020, 11:18 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

kevin weaver might, payton Colorado. it takes a gear change on the lathe to cut metric.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:39 AM

Kevin Riddley in the Salem Oregon area rebarreled a CZ527 for me with proper metric threads.

That or visit http://www.jamescalhoon.com/ and see if he has any teke-off barrels for sale.

John
Old 06-28-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
Kevin Riddley in the Salem Oregon area rebarreled a CZ527 for me with proper metric threads.

That or visit http://www.jamescalhoon.com/ and see if he has any teke-off barrels for sale.

John
Thanks John. I will contact him. And like I said in my first post I already have the barrel. Just need it threaded and chambered and installed.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustydust View Post
Thanks John. I will contact him. And like I said in my first post I already have the barrel. Just need it threaded and chambered and installed.

Greg Tannel is the only 'smith I now who will single point that small CZ receiver, square the lugs, bush the pin and sleeve the bolt. He did one for me years ago in .20 VTT that was just a phenomenal shooter (Douglas barrel no less) but I don't think Greg is taking on any new work right now because he is swamped.
Old 09-10-2020, 04:10 AM

Bob Green, York, PA did some fine work for me on a CZ also. Of late he is off hunting or fishing, but google him and see what he says.
Old 09-17-2020, 01:22 AM
Supporting Member

Talked to Greg recently about similar work and he is 3 years out. I would recommend that you call James Calhoon, he does a lot of CZ's.